From: E.D.G. on
Question 1 - Can anyone recommend a freeware, modifiable Perl language CGI
type bulletin board (blog) computer program?

One of my Web sites recommends the following bulletin board programs:

Wordpress, b2evolution, Textpattern, NucleusCMS, Geeklog

However, as far as I can tell, they are not written in Perl. And an
important feature here is the ability to extensively customize the program
for a science research application.

Question 2 - Can anyone recommend a freeware, modifiable Perl language CGI
program that will accept an E-mail sent to a Web site address, extract
picture files etc. from the E-mail, and then store the files in some
directory at the Web site?

There are undoubtedly innumerable Perl CGI programs that can do that. Are
there any that are especially popular and recommended?

From: Justin C on
On 2010-07-09, E.D.G. <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Question 1 - Can anyone recommend a freeware, modifiable Perl language CGI
> type bulletin board (blog) computer program?
>
> One of my Web sites recommends the following bulletin board programs:
>
> Wordpress, b2evolution, Textpattern, NucleusCMS, Geeklog
>
> However, as far as I can tell, they are not written in Perl. And an
> important feature here is the ability to extensively customize the program
> for a science research application.
>

> Question 2 - Can anyone recommend a freeware, modifiable Perl language CGI
> program that will accept an E-mail sent to a Web site address, extract
> picture files etc. from the E-mail, and then store the files in some
> directory at the Web site?
>
> There are undoubtedly innumerable Perl CGI programs that can do that. Are
> there any that are especially popular and recommended?

1: Moveable Type, bloxsom, bricolage, mojomojo, twiki, scoop, slash,
webgui. Most of these are CMS and will have to be customised to be
blogs, though some may make this easy to do, I have no experience with
any of these, my blog is WordPress - and barely used.

2: Wordpress can take an email and convert it to a blog post. Though I
know it's not perl. Can php not be made to 'call out' to perl?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: RedGrittyBrick on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_Type

> Question 2 - Can anyone recommend a freeware, modifiable Perl language
> CGI program that will accept an E-mail sent to a Web site address,
> extract picture files etc. from the E-mail, and then store the files in
> some directory at the Web site?

Normally, when people say "E-mail" they mean information sent using
Internet E-mail protocols such as SMTP, adhering to Internet standards
for content and transport.

With that understanding, you can only send E-mail using an E-Mail
protocol. E-Mail can only be received by an E-Mail service. You can't
sensibly implement an E-Mail service using CGI because CGI is almost
exclusively used for HTTP not for SMTP.

You could implement an SMTP service using Perl.

You can have a server process implemented in Perl that periodically
checks for new mail in a mailbox and processes any it finds. This allows
you to use an existing e-mail infrastructure.

CPAN is a good place to look for software that will assist with this.

If you want people to be able to upload images using their web-browser
then you can implement a Perl CGI solution that provides that service.
This does not involve E-mail. I expect there will be numerous examples
of this in the standard sources of Perl documentation.

I believe it is probably easier and better to write a program using
modules from CPAN than to find a substantial program (perhaps of
questionable quality) that can be amended to do what you want.

--
RGB
From: E.D.G. on
"Justin C" <justin.1007(a)purestblue.com> wrote in message

> 1: Moveable Type, bloxsom, bricolage, mojomojo, twiki, scoop, slash,

Thanks.

After looking at their Web site, "Moveable Type" (a Perl language program)
looks like it might be a good place to start.

From: E.D.G. on
"RedGrittyBrick" <RedGrittyBrick(a)spamweary.invalid> wrote in message

> CPAN is a good place to look for software that will assist with this.

I checked CPAN before posting the original note. But there were so many
bulletin board programs listed there that I decided to see if someone could
recommend one of them over some of the others.

It sounds like having a bulletin board program respond to both browser and
E-mail input could be a little complicated. So, now that I have some idea
regarding what to tell them I am going to have a talk with the experts
running my Web server to see if they have any recommendations for what the
best approach might be with their system.