From: E.D.G. on
"Michael Vilain" <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote in message

Thanks for the comments. They appear to match the conclusions that I
myself have been reaching.

That E-mail processing feature is provided with the Web site package
I have on one server. And it is nice when it works. But it does not appear
to me to be very reliable from day to day.

My other server that looks more reliable does not automatically offer
that type of feature. And to my surprise it appears that there might not be
any downloadable programs on CPAN etc. that can do what I was hoping to
accomplish.

I am going to contact the people running that second server and
recommend that they develop and add that E-mail processing feature and offer
it to their customers. So far they seem to have never heard of anything
like that. Perhaps I can interest them in developing it though it is
probably unlikely that they will.

From: E.D.G. on
"Michael Vilain" <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote in message

Thanks again for the comments. This is probably not the easiest way
to learn what CGI can and cannot do. But progress is being made with
reasonably good speed.

This particular project is part of an effort to develop resources
that will hopefully enable science researchers around the world to more
easily and effectively communicate with one another and share data etc.
Somewhat surprisingly, from what I can see, relatively few scientists
working in areas such as chemistry and physics appear to know too much about
Internet applications such as creating and running bulletin boards. And
that is probably slowing research efforts in a number of important areas. I
myself am not a professional programmer but with enough time can usually get
applications such as bulletin boards running. I personally like Perl though
I found it difficult to work with at first.

E.D.G.

From: E.D.G. on
"Michael Vilain" <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote in message

Another person commented that it might be possible to "pipe" an
E-mail message to a Web site program that can extract attached messages and
store them in a directory at the Web site. I am doing some additional
checking on this. At first it sounded like this might be impossible.

With the type of technical and Perl programming background you have
and your experiences with communications you would probably be interested in
the following projects I am hoping will eventually get developed:

--- A sophisticated, multiple option bulletin board and E-mail circulation
resource that science researchers around the world could use to more
effectively communicate with one another.

--- A "Science Module" for Perl. A single module would contain all of the
math, graphics, and CGI features etc. that science researchers need for
their work.

If you send me an E-mail I can send along some comments regarding
those projects. They are largely in the discussion phase right now. But
earlier this year I did get a new high reliability Web site running in part
so that this type of work could be done.

From: sreservoir on
On 7/12/2010 8:43 PM, E.D.G. wrote:
> "Michael Vilain" <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote in message
>
> Another person commented that it might be possible to "pipe" an E-mail
> message to a Web site program that can extract attached messages and
> store them in a directory at the Web site. I am doing some additional
> checking on this. At first it sounded like this might be impossible.
>
> With the type of technical and Perl programming background you have and
> your experiences with communications you would probably be interested in
> the following projects I am hoping will eventually get developed:
>
> --- A sophisticated, multiple option bulletin board and E-mail
> circulation resource that science researchers around the world could use
> to more effectively communicate with one another.

exists.

> --- A "Science Module" for Perl. A single module would contain all of
> the math, graphics, and CGI features etc. that science researchers need
> for their work.

defeats the purpose of having a module.

> If you send me an E-mail I can send along some comments regarding those
> projects. They are largely in the discussion phase right now. But
> earlier this year I did get a new high reliability Web site running in
> part so that this type of work could be done.

defeats the purpose of the newsgroup.

--

"Six by nine. Forty two."
"That's it. That's all there is."
From: E.D.G. on
"sreservoir" <sreservoir(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> --- A sophisticated, multiple option bulletin board and E-mail
>> circulation resource that science researchers around the world could use
>> to more effectively communicate with one another.
>
> exists.

Is there a specific program or Web site that you recommend? There is
no sense in people trying to reinvent the wheel.

>> --- A "Science Module" for Perl. A single module would contain all of
>> the math, graphics, and CGI features etc. that science researchers need
>> for their work.
>
> defeats the purpose of having a module.

All of these things might already exist. But they aren't of too much
help if people are not using them. And science researchers often don't seem
to be especially good at looking around for better communications resources.
They also frequently don't know how to deal with Web site usage and computer
programming matters.

After I first started trying to learn how to do create .exe versions
of my Perl programs it took probably two years before I managed to learn
what modules had to be loaded and what code needed to be used. After that
it was extremely easy to do. It takes just a single line of code typed in
on a Windows Run line or stored in a .bat file.

The proposed "Science Module" would not have to be a single module.
It might simply contain detailed instructions for what modules the
researchers actually need to install and instructions for how to find them.
I was able to find one capable of creating .exe programs at only one
location. I don't think that there is a copy of that module on CPAN. Or at
least I don't recall one being there when I was searching for it several
years ago.