From: E.D.G. on
"Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> wrote in message

> It's not CGI if it isn't being invoked from a web page hit. You're
> talking about a mail handler.

A goal here is to eventually have a single Internet Bulletin Board program
that will:

--- Accept and process data submitted to it through Web page input screens.

--- Accept and process data submitted to it via E-mail letters. As you
said, a mail handler is involved.

--- Accept and process data submitted to it by other programs running at my
domain Web site that will run one or more times a day and collect scientific
data from other Web sites.

The effort to get such a bulletin board running at my domain Web site is
gradually moving along a step at a time.

From: Ted Zlatanov on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:15:05 -0500 "E.D.G." <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

EDG> "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> wrote in message

>> It's not CGI if it isn't being invoked from a web page hit. You're
>> talking about a mail handler.

EDG> A goal here is to eventually have a single Internet Bulletin Board
EDG> program that will:

EDG> --- Accept and process data submitted to it through Web page input screens.

EDG> --- Accept and process data submitted to it via E-mail letters. As
EDG> you said, a mail handler is involved.

EDG> --- Accept and process data submitted to it by other programs running
EDG> at my domain Web site that will run one or more times a day and
EDG> collect scientific data from other Web sites.

EDG> The effort to get such a bulletin board running at my domain Web site
EDG> is gradually moving along a step at a time.

It's amazing how people manage to avoid discovering NNTP.

Ted
From: E.D.G. on
"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz(a)lifelogs.com> wrote in message

> It's amazing how people manage to avoid discovering NNTP.

This is a fairly complex project involving a number of people. And
Perl is being used exclusively for everything possible. Other types of
applications are being developed and used when necessary. But if possible,
and as soon as possible, they are converted to Perl language code.

The computer programs being developed need to be able to run on both a
Windows PC and a Web server.

From: J�rgen Exner on
Ted Zlatanov <tzz(a)lifelogs.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:15:05 -0500 "E.D.G." <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>EDG> "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn(a)stonehenge.com> wrote in message
>
>>> It's not CGI if it isn't being invoked from a web page hit. You're
>>> talking about a mail handler.
>
>EDG> A goal here is to eventually have a single Internet Bulletin Board
>EDG> program that will:

Those are readily available a dozen a dime...

>EDG> --- Accept and process data submitted to it through Web page input screens.

Standard feature. How else would you submit contributions?

>EDG> --- Accept and process data submitted to it via E-mail letters. As
>EDG> you said, a mail handler is involved.

Why email? While certainly possible and easy enough to do, post and put
have been invented already for a reason..

>EDG> --- Accept and process data submitted to it by other programs running
>EDG> at my domain Web site that will run one or more times a day and
>EDG> collect scientific data from other Web sites.

There are many tools readily available for this purpose.

jue
From: Ted Zlatanov on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:04:54 -0500 "E.D.G." <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

EDG> "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz(a)lifelogs.com> wrote in message

>> It's amazing how people manage to avoid discovering NNTP.

EDG> This is a fairly complex project involving a number of people.
EDG> And Perl is being used exclusively for everything possible. Other
EDG> types of applications are being developed and used when necessary.
EDG> But if possible, and as soon as possible, they are converted to Perl
EDG> language code.

NNTP is a protocol and can be implemented in Perl. Is it insufficient
for your needs? How do you plan to deal with disconnected servers
coming back, offline access, universal article storage and access
formats, indexing, etc.?

EDG> The computer programs being developed need to be able to run on both a
EDG> Windows PC and a Web server.

OK, but the statement above (you realize a Windows PC can be a web
server, right?) and the requirements you posted are not encouraging.

Ted