From: Al Clark on
Heinrich Wolf <muell(a)hemedarwa.de> wrote in news:836fqtFefeU1
@mid.individual.net:

>> The original Budweizer was a Czech lager beer, **NOT** that
> ^^^^^
> A German word again meaning here "store" or ``storeable''. I.e. a
> beer that was filtered/cleaned especialy well such that it could be
> stored for a while w/o getting a bad taste. This was something
> special still even in the thirties --- my ancestors ran a village
> brewery.

The American Budweiser starts out with a bad taste. I like them though
because somebody has too pay for our sports on TV.

Al Clark

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 4/20/2010 3:38 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> On 4/20/2010 4:06 PM, Heinrich Wolf wrote:

>> In 1938, when the Sudetenland, the mostly German speaking part of
>> Czechoslovakia, came to Germany, Pilsen stayed in the Czech state, a
>> few kilometers from the new border, while Budweis came to Germany.
>
> Thank you for the interesting history. When visiting Berlin on business,
> I has some (German) Budweiser in a Kneipe I had been brought to one
> evening. I pronounced it far superior to its US counterpart and was told
> by several people there that the Czech Budweiser was even better. With
> Budweis part of (then)* East Germany, how is that?
>
> Jerry

I had what I was assured was a genuine Czech Budweiser once when I was
in central Russia. It wasn't very good so I wasn't confident of its
provenance.

I drink American Budweiser once in a great while, usually when with
friends when that's what's available. It barely tastes like beer to me,
but I tell myself it's not that bad for what it is. It's not really a
bad taste, mostly just a lack thereof.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Heinrich Wolf on
Heinrich Wolf <muell(a)hemedarwa.de> writes:
> Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> writes:
>
>> Brent, your posts have tickled me. I now declare that I officially
>> owe you a bottle of the finest Czechoslovakian pilsner beer.
>>
>> Pilsner beer did NOT originate in Germany. Pilsner beer,
>> as far as I've read, originated in Pilzen Czechoslovakia.
>
> Rick, you have taught lots of people DSP and I grew up only about
> 100km from Pilsen: so allow me some notes on European history.

I just looked into German Wikipedia
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner_Bier
where they say

Da das ehemalige Pilsner Bier " ein dunkles, tr�bes, warm vergorenes
Bier " einen so schlechten Ruf hatte, dass sogar mehrere F�sser Bier
aus Protest �ffentlich auf dem Rathausplatz ausgesch�ttet wurden,
berief der Pilsner Braumeister Martin Stelzer des "B�rgerlichen
Brauhauses" in Pilsen 1842 den bayerischen Braumeister Josef Groll
aus Vilshofen nach Pilsen, um "den B�hmen in Pilsen ein gutes Bier
zu brauen". Josef Groll braute somit am 5. Oktober 1842 den ersten
Sud nach Pilsner Brauart. Dieser wurde erstmals am 11. November 1842
�ffentlich ausgeschenkt und er�ffnete so den weltweiten Siegeszug
dieser Bierspezialit�t, die als Original Pilsner Urquell vertrieben
wird.

Short translation: The original beer in Pilsen was a bad,
top-fermented beer, so bad that at some occasion several barrels
were poored away for protest. Therefor the brewer Martin Stelzer (a
German name) called in 1842 Josef Groll from Vilshofen on the
Danube, Bavaria, to produce a good, bottom-fermented beer. This was
the origin of the ``Pilsner Bier''.

A note as we are in a technical group: two types of fermentation
processes are in use top-fermentation and bottom-fermentation where
the first requires a temperature of 12 or 15 Celsius and the second 6
or 8 Celsius.

Having a cellar at 15 Celsius is no problem in southern Germany while
having 8 Celsius also late in the summer is hard w/o some cooling.
Before mechanical cooling machines were available, ice from ponds was
collected and icicles where grown on special wooden constructions in
the winter. The ice was filled into a huge cellar where the cellar
used for fermentation was below or near a lower edge. Then, when
temperature in the fermentation cellar got too high, a door was opened
such that cold air from the ice-cellar sank in. After a warm winter
and a hot summer not enough ice may have been left and beer got bad.

So one may claim that Bavarian beer would not exist w/o the rather
cold winters there.

--
hw
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Greg Berchin wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 03:30:58 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>One thing seems to be common among comp.dspers: the preference for real
>>beer.
>

> I'm a teetotaler.

Some other regulars, too. However it perfectly fits into a picture. It's
not about beer, it is about marginal tastes.

>>I guess this is a result of the preference for real things in
>>general
>
> You lose half the information when you ignore the imaginary part.

Greg, at your level of abstraction, there is no need for substances.
A transform is always with you.

Oh, and I am 41 y.o. today.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=18145&added=yes

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: Greg Berchin on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:21:17 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Greg, at your level of abstraction, there is no need for substances.
>A transform is always with you.

Yes, a Hilbert transform. I always seem to be orthogonal to the rest of the
world.

>Oh, and I am 41 y.o. today.

Happy birthday to you. Get ready; the years will start going by very quickly
now.

Greg
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10