From: Clay on
On Apr 23, 11:49 am, Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sa...(a)EastLink.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> I just looked into German Wikipediahttp://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner_B
> > ier
> >> where they say
>
> >> Da das ehemalige Pilsner Bier " ein dunkles, tr bes, warm vergorene
> >> Bier " einen so schlechten Ruf hatte, dass sogar mehrere F sser Bie
> >> aus Protest ffentlich auf dem Rathausplatz ausgesch ttet wurden,
> >> berief der Pilsner Braumeister Martin Stelzer des "B rgerlichen
> >> Brauhauses" in Pilsen 1842 den bayerischen Braumeister Josef Groll
> >> aus Vilshofen nach Pilsen, um "den B hmen in Pilsen ein gutes Bier
> >> zu brauen". Josef Groll braute somit am 5. Oktober 1842 den ersten
> >> Sud nach Pilsner Brauart. Dieser wurde erstmals am 11. November 1842
> >> ffentlich ausgeschenkt und er ffnete so den weltweiten Siegeszug
> >> dieser Bierspezialit t, die als Original Pilsner Urquell vertrieben
> >> wird.
>
> >> Short translation: The original beer in Pilsen was a bad,
> >> top-fermented beer, so bad that at some occasion several barrels
> >> were poored away for protest. Therefor the brewer Martin Stelzer (
> >> German name) called in 1842 Josef Groll from Vilshofen on the
> >> Danube, Bavaria, to produce a good, bottom-fermented beer. This wa
> >> the origin of the ``Pilsner Bier''.
>
> >> A note as we are in a technical group: two types of fermentation
> >> processes are in use top-fermentation and bottom-fermentation where
> >> the first requires a temperature of 12 or 15 Celsius and the second 6
> >> or 8 Celsius.
>
> >> Having a cellar at 15 Celsius is no problem in southern Germany while
> >> having 8 Celsius also late in the summer is hard w/o some cooling.
> >> Before mechanical cooling machines were available, ice from ponds was
> >> collected and icicles where grown on special wooden constructions in
> >> the winter. The ice was filled into a huge cellar where the cellar
> >> used for fermentation was below or near a lower edge. Then, when
> >> temperature in the fermentation cellar got too high, a door was opened
> >> such that cold air from the ice-cellar sank in. After a warm winter
> >> and a hot summer not enough ice may have been left and beer got bad.
>
> >> So one may claim that Bavarian beer would not exist w/o the rather
> >> cold winters there.
>
> >> --
> >> hw
>
> > I recall seeing in a tv program about the origin of Lagers being when
> > it got too hot and the beer would spoil, that the brewers would heat
> > up rocks in fires until they glowed red and then placed the hot rocks
> > into the beer kegs so as to boil and sterilize the beer so it wouldn't
> > spoil.
>
> If it boiled wouldn't the alcohol come off first? Sort of defeats the
> purpose! I expect modern pasteurized beer involves some careful control
> of the pressures and containment during the heat treatment.
>

> > Clay
>
> > maybe some of you beer afficianados could add the the details.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure the boiling period is limited. I know when my wife makes
glaze for the rum cake, it boils but quite a bit of the alcohol is
retained since the boiling period is limited.

Clay
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 4/23/2010 9:02 AM, Clay wrote:
> On Apr 23, 11:49 am, Gordon Sande<Gordon.Sa...(a)EastLink.ca> wrote:

>>> ier

>>> I recall seeing in a tv program about the origin of Lagers being when
>>> it got too hot and the beer would spoil, that the brewers would heat
>>> up rocks in fires until they glowed red and then placed the hot rocks
>>> into the beer kegs so as to boil and sterilize the beer so it wouldn't
>>> spoil.
>>
>> If it boiled wouldn't the alcohol come off first? Sort of defeats the
>> purpose! I expect modern pasteurized beer involves some careful control
>> of the pressures and containment during the heat treatment.
>>

>>> Clay
>>
>>> maybe some of you beer afficianados could add the the details.- Hide quoted text -

> I'm sure the boiling period is limited. I know when my wife makes
> glaze for the rum cake, it boils but quite a bit of the alcohol is
> retained since the boiling period is limited.
>
> Clay

I will warn beer drinkers that this site can be a huge time sink, but
Sam Adams has a really excellent "beer encyclopedia" on their website.
There's not a direct link that I can find, and you'll probably have to
confirm your birth date, but maybe start here:

http://www.samueladams.com/world_of_beer.aspx

For info relevant to the current conversation, at the encyclopedia start
page click on "styles". The two main beer styles are ales, which are
top-fermented, and lagers, which are bottom-fermented. You can go from
there into all sorts of details.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: brent on
On Apr 23, 12:12 pm, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 4/23/2010 9:02 AM, Clay wrote:
>

> I will warn beer drinkers that this site can be a huge time sink, but
> Sam Adams has a really excellent "beer encyclopedia" on their website....

It might take time away from World of Warcraft?
From: Heinrich Wolf on
Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> writes:

> On 4/20/2010 4:06 PM, Heinrich Wolf wrote:
>> In 1938, when the Sudetenland, the mostly German speaking part of
>> Czechoslovakia, came to Germany, Pilsen stayed in the Czech state, a
>> few kilometers from the new border, while Budweis came to Germany.
>
> Thank you for the interesting history. When visiting Berlin on
> business, I has some (German) Budweiser in a Kneipe I had been brought
> to one evening. I pronounced it far superior to its US counterpart and
> was told by several people there that the Czech Budweiser was even
> better. With Budweis part of (then)* East Germany, how is that?

No, Budweis never was in the DDR. Budweis is in southern Bohemia,
less than 100km north of Linz on the Danube --- on google-maps its
spelled ``Budejovice''. The borders of Czechoslovakia against Germany
were restored after WW II and the German speaking population of
Bohemia was transfered (about three million people).

[When writing ``Bohemia'' above, I thought there is something
interesting: the word is derived from ``Boyern's Home'' where Boyern
is Bayern --- Bavarians. Though much of the history of germanic tribes
2000 years ago remains in the dark, the most popular opinion among
resarchers seems to be the following:

Romans under Julius Caesar already fought against germanic people
near the upper Rhine and there appeares in written documents the
tribe ``Bojer''. This tribe settled where now Frankfurt/Main is and
then moved upwards the Main river into the region where now W�rzburg
is. Later they moved further upwards the Main and near Eger ---
Cheb in the NW corner of the Czech Republic --- into what we now
call the Bohemian Bassin.

Some decades later wariors of a germanic tribe called Markomannen,
who came from Bohemia, appeared at Regensburg on the Danube, ran
over the Roman fortifications and invaded the Roman province Raetia
which is now southern Bavaria; others attacked directly to the south
and there were severe battles along the Danube. The Romans under
emperor Marc Aurel finally beated them out. It's thought that the
Markomannen were the Bojer again or a union of tribes including the
Bojer.

A few hundred years later, when the Roman empire collapsed, people
from Bohemia, who called themselves Bojern or Bayern, moved in two
directions: to the west amd southwest, into which is now Bayern
(Bavaria) and to the south, into which is now Austria and northern
Italy --- the mountain range along the modern border between the
Czech Republic on one side and Germany and Austria on the other side
could be passed by vast numbers of people only at a few places in
those days. And probably quite a few stayed and adopted the Czech
language ... ]

PS: Ah, now it occured to me why probably Jerry thought that Budweis
is in the north of Bohemia: In a narrow sense ``Sudetenland'' means a
formerly German speaking region at the northern edge of the Bohemian
Bassin. But at least in modern German it's comon usage to call all
the formerly German speaking parts along the edges of the Bohemian
Bassin Sudetenland. There are some useful maps in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland

--
hw
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sande(a)eastlink.ca> wrote:
(snip about lager)

> If it boiled wouldn't the alcohol come off first? Sort of defeats the
> purpose! I expect modern pasteurized beer involves some careful control
> of the pressures and containment during the heat treatment.

The phase diagram of ethanol/water is a little more interesting
than some other mixtures. One result is that you can't get
higher than 95% ethanol by distillation, as at that point the
water and ethanol evaporate at the same rate.

As was explained in a thermodynamics class that I once took,
when you go to get the bottles of ethanol for your party, get
the 95% ones, not the 100% ones, which have traces of the chemicals
needed to get out that last 5% water.

I don't remember the concentration of ethanol that is left
after distilling, though. But if you want to keep the alcohol,
condense it and return it to the mixture.

-- glen
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: PWM and inputs on the f2812