From: Skybuck Flying on

http://penguin.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/academic/technology/physical-layer/asynchronous/index.php

> > I never understood the difference between voltage and ampere... to bad
this
> > page doesn't discuss how ampere is related to voltage. (voltage<->ampere
> > very confusing )
>
> That's pretty fundamental. The classic example is to compare electricity
to water.

> Voltage is like water pressure - current is like water flow. With no
pressure no water
> flows. The larger the pipe ( less resistance to flow ) the more water
flows. In a similar
> way, the less electrical resistance, the more Amps flow in a circuit for a
given voltage.

Does this mean a pipe diameter (of a certain material) always allows a
certain maximum voltage ?

So if the source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows ? :)

Probably yes, ok that's easy.

Now what about two different pipes:

Pipe A has a large diameter with a maximum of 100 volts to flow through it.

Pipe B has a small diameter with a maximum of 15 volts to flow through it.

Source A has a pressure of 14 volts and is connected to pipe A.

Source B has a pressure of 14 volts and is connected to pipe B.

I have two meters.

I stick a voltmeter A in pipe A.... what would it measure ?

I stick a voltmeter B in pipe B... what would it measure ?

Both would probably measure 14 volts.

The difference would be the ampere.

The flow through pipe B would have to be faster, since it's smaller.

The flow through pipe A could be slower, since it's wider.

According to your explanation:

Sticking an ampere meter in pipe A should show a lower ampere.

Sticking an ampere meter in pipe B should show a higher ampere.

If this is how it works I think I understand it a little bit :)

However microelectronics are very very very small.

So for me it's hard to see the diameter and the resistance... (resistance is
related to the material ;)) :)

Ok I think I am starting to get it.

Let's see even a more complex example:

Pipe A is split up into

Pipe A1 with a diameter of allowing 5 volts

Pipe A2 with a diameter of allowing 95 volts.

Now a good question is the following:

The voltage at pipe A1 would be 5 volts ? or would it blow up ?

It could be possible that the remaing 9 volts would simply go into pipe
A2...

It probably depends on the strength of pipe A1...

At this point I really wouldn't know what the answer is ;)

Maybe it's related to the resistance or something... if it could resists 15
volts it might survive...
But I don't think this is what resistance means ? or maybe it does ?

I thought resistance means how much voltage is lost....

Maybe this is the correct answer after all... if Pipe A1 has a resistance of
9 volts it could allow 5 volts to flow through it...

But what would happen to the other 9 volts ?

Would it go lost in Pipe A1 or would it flow through Pipe A2 without loss ?

I dont think the voltage would be simply halfed... since that's not how
water behaves ;)

So the point is: The concepts pressure, flow, maybe even resistance are easy
to understand... but how it behaves in reality especially in electronics is
a little bit more difficult to understand ;)

Unless the answers are really simple... so I am curious what the answer(s)
would be :) Especially the splitting up of the pipe question ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Pooh Bear on

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> I have no idea what a north bridge and south bridge chip is... but could
> this be the same design ? :):):)

Yeah ! No surprise sunshine ! Why not simply do some self-study ? It worked for me.

Graham

From: Pooh Bear on

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> "Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Skybuck Flying wrote:
> >
> > > Nice introduction to signals across a wire.
> > >

> http://penguin.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/academic/technology/physical-layer/asynchronous/index.php
> > >
> > > I never understood the difference between voltage and ampere... to bad
> this
> > > page doesn't discuss how ampere is related to voltage. (voltage<->ampere
> > > very confusing )
> >
> > That's pretty fundamental. The classic example is to compare electricity
> to water.
> >
> > Voltage is like water pressure - current is like water flow. With no
> pressure no water
> > flows. The larger the pipe ( less resistance to flow ) the more water
> flows. In a similar
> > way, the less electrical resistance, the more Amps flow in a circuit for a
> given voltage.
>
> Does this mean a pipe diameter (of a certain material) always allows a
> certain maximum voltage ?
>
> So if the source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows ? :)

That would be exceptional and irrelevant to any sensible understanding.

I'm getting bored of your trolling now.....

Graham

From: Skybuck Flying on

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>
> > "Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

http://penguin.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/academic/technology/physical-layer/asynchronous/index.php

> > this
(voltage<->ampere

> > > That's pretty fundamental. The classic example is to compare
electricity
> > to water.
> > >
> > > Voltage is like water pressure - current is like water flow. With no
> > pressure no water
> > > flows. The larger the pipe ( less resistance to flow ) the more water
> > flows. In a similar
> > > way, the less electrical resistance, the more Amps flow in a circuit
for a
> > given voltage.
> >
> > Does this mean a pipe diameter (of a certain material) always allows a
> > certain maximum voltage ?
> >
> > So if the source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows ? :)
>
> That would be exceptional and irrelevant to any sensible understanding.
>
> I'm getting bored of your trolling now.....

I am not trolling I am trying to understand it. But ok I can see how a dirty
mind might think that's funny.

And in case you didn't understand that sentence here it is again:

So if the pressure of source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows ?

Without the smiley :D :P :D

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Skybuck Flying on

"Skybuck Flying" <nospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

> "Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Skybuck Flying wrote:
> >
> > > "Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

http://penguin.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/academic/technology/physical-layer/asynchronous/index.php

> bad
> > > this
> (voltage<->ampere

> electricity
> > > to water.

> > > pressure no water
> > > flows. In a similar
> for a
> > > given voltage.
> > >
> > > Does this mean a pipe diameter (of a certain material) always allows a
> > > certain maximum voltage ?
> > >
> > > So if the source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows ? :)
> >
> > That would be exceptional and irrelevant to any sensible understanding.
> >
> > I'm getting bored of your trolling now.....
>
> I am not trolling I am trying to understand it. But ok I can see how a
dirty
> mind might think that's funny.
>
> And in case you didn't understand that sentence here it is again:
>
> So if the pressure of source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows
?

Ok one more try:

So if the pressure of source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows
up ? ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.