From: Pooh Bear on

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> "Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm getting bored of your trolling now.....
>
> I am not trolling I am trying to understand it. But ok I can see how a dirty
> mind might think that's funny.

Your amusement factor is declining fast.

I suggest ( if you're serious ) that you start reading a few decent books on electronic
theory and practice. It'll come in handy !

Ohhh... hobby magazines such as Elektor ( if it still exists ) are a good source of info
about practical circuits that can be easily built on a hobbyist basis. They are good
foundations upon which to learn.

Graham

From: Bob Monsen on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Bob Monsen" <rcsurname(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>Where can I find an example of this concept on the internet, if any ?
>>>
>>>I don't know how complex this technique is... but if it's not too
>
> complex I
>
>>>would like
>>>to see a drawing of the gates required etc, as to get a better
>
> understanding
>
>>>of
>>>how it works together with the clock signal etc.
>>>
>>>Bye,
>>> Skybuck.
>>>

>>There are lots of examples of PIC code which drives I2C or SPI devices.
>>Google for "PIC I2C SPI". I got 35,000 hits.
>

> Ok, the PIC description seems a bit to general, too complex, too many
> variations for me to understand ;)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller
>
> The I2C bus is something I can understand :)
>
> http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/markets/mms/protocols/i2c/
>
> However it seems to be really slow :)

The advantages of I2C and SPI are that there are already devices that
use these protocols.

However, most general purpose computers use a parallel bus to connect to
the memory controller. There is a hardware protocol, specified by the
processor, for presenting the address and doing the read or write. This
is a very fast scheme, but has some inherent flaws, such as signals
arriving at the destination at different times, ground bounce,
crosstalk, etc. Improperly terminated memory busses can ring, producing
data errors.

There are some new serial ICs that allow one to serialize these parallel
accesses, but I don't know much about them ( I read an article on them
in EDN... ;). I believe their primary purpose is to allow the designer
to bypass the traditional problems of clock and signal skew at higher
speeds. As I recall, the clock and data are transmitted using some kind
of manchester encoding scheme (similar to ethernet), so a single
connection can be used. Special hardware on both sides encodes and
decodes the data, and presents the 'user' with a parallel interface.

There are also schemes where multiple of these asynchronous serial
connections can transmit parts of words, which can then be reassembled
at some point elsewhere on the board. This is even faster.

In general, there are an infinite number of answers. I believe you don't
know enough to ask the right questions. Perhaps a better approach would
be to describe what it is you are really trying to do, rather than
asking general, open-ended questions that generate far too much
information for you to process.

Sadly, this forum is not very good for obtaining general knowledge. A
book like "The Art of Electronics" or something like that might be a
better place to start. An electronics course at your local Junior
College might also be way to go.

> "
> To begin, the bus has kept pace with performance and today provides three
> levels of data rate transfer: up to 100 kbps in Standard mode, up to 400
> kbps in Fast mode, and up to 3.4 Mbps in High-Speed mode
> "
>
> That's per second ??
>
> And ofcourse it uses fixed bit address, 8 bit bytes, and is ment for
> multiple devices on the same bus which might be interesting, but it's not a
> requirement for me at the moment :)
>
> So first I would have to understand why this thing is so slow... probably
> the electronics or maybe it's the clock rate ? etc...
>
> Or... is it a physical limitation ?

The speed limit has to do with the nature of the protocol. It works by
one of the communicating processors grounding the bus through a
resistor. However, there is capacitance inherent in any device, and this
grounding must drain this capacitance. This takes time, proportional to
the product of the resistance and capacitance.

> So first I would need to understand how fast eletronics and a 0 or 1 signal
> can move across a wire and can be detected by devices, ports etc.

Again, you need a basic course in analog electronics. Try the MIT open
courseware, which is free. 6002 is a good place to start.

> So first I would need to compare my own idea which is kinda simple to this
> idea...

You don't even understand the problems yet, much less the solutions. I
understand your desire, but the first step towards competence is first
finding out what you don't know.

> So the first question would be: How fast would my alternative idea be with
> the latest and greatest hardware thingies... like gates and stuff and
> resistors.
>
> The second question would be: How fast would it be if it used
> generally/common available components on the market today ? ;)
>
> Now on to SPI ;)
>
> I guess this is the one you mean ;)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface
>
> Ok that's a very general description. Not much use but ok ;) It does explain
> some benefits... like reduced cost ;) and disadvantages slower ;)
>
> http://embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=9900483
>
> This link is also about SPI and explains it's more suited for data
> streams... ;) instead of addressed stuff ;)
>
> It's also point to point ;) ( the lack of device addressing means less
> overhead. )
>
> "
> At a higher level
>
> SPI does not have an acknowledgement mechanism to confirm receipt of data.
> In fact, without a communication protocol, the SPI master has no knowledge
> of whether a slave even exists. SPI also offers no flow control. If you need
> hardware flow control, you might need to do something outside of SPI.
> "
>
> Ok, that sounds bad... the text above it also sounds pretty bad... lot's of
> problems.. but hell it was ment for point to point... maybe single device to
> single device... not necessarely single device to multiple devices...
>
> Anyway both communication methods seems to require/work based on the concept
> of a clock.
> So the cpu and the memory need to run at the same clock speed. If the cpu
> can not keep up.. it would miss important bits ? Sounds a little bit bad ;)
> But then again... since the cpu would be looping around or something like
> that... maybe it wouldn't miss a single bit of everything was timed right :)

For both of these protocols, the master provides the clock. For I2C,
there is a mechanism for a slow slave to hold off the master. For SPI,
there is no such mechanism. It is up to the master to clock the slave at
a speed the slave can handle.

--
Regards,
Bob Monsen

If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has
so much as to be out of danger?
Thomas Henry Huxley, 1877
From: Ken Hagan on
Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Ok one more try:

If you aren't trolling, then might I suggest that the design of a
completely new computer architecture is probably beyond someone who
doesn't know about volts and amps. I'd guess about ten years of full
time study might be enough to raise your general level of knowledge
to a level at which the project wasn't a complete waste of everyone's
time. In the meantime, please understand that even with the best will
in the world (and whilst I may have been a little shirty yesterday,
others have certainly indulged you) you simply aren't credible as
an honest poster anymore.

> So if the pressure of source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe blows
> up ? ;)

Yes.

From: Skybuck Flying on

> [...]
> > requirement for me at the moment :)
> >
> > So first I would have to understand why this thing is so slow...
probably
> > the electronics or maybe it's the clock rate ? etc...
> >
> > Or... is it a physical limitation ?
> >

> The speed limit has to do with the nature of the protocol. It works by
> one of the communicating processors grounding the bus through a
> resistor. However, there is capacitance inherent in any device, and this
> grounding must drain this capacitance. This takes time, proportional to
> the product of the resistance and capacitance.
>
> > So first I would need to understand how fast eletronics and a 0 or 1
signal
> > can move across a wire and can be detected by devices, ports etc.
> >

> Again, you need a basic course in analog electronics. Try the MIT open
> courseware, which is free. 6002 is a good place to start.

I seek a simple but realistic answer to my question for a real world device.
If it's not simple then so be it.

I do not seek a dumbed down version of reality so the MIT open courseware is
not for me.

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Skybuck Flying on

"Ken Hagan" <K.Hagan(a)thermoteknix.co.uk> wrote in message
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
> >
> > Ok one more try:
>
> If you aren't trolling, then might I suggest that the design of a
> completely new computer architecture is probably beyond someone who
> doesn't know about volts and amps. I'd guess about ten years of full
> time study might be enough to raise your general level of knowledge
> to a level at which the project wasn't a complete waste of everyone's
> time. In the meantime, please understand that even with the best will
> in the world (and whilst I may have been a little shirty yesterday,
> others have certainly indulged you) you simply aren't credible as
> an honest poster anymore.
>
> > So if the pressure of source of the voltage becomes to high the pipe
blows
> > up ? ;)
>
> Yes.

Well that wasn't so hard ;)

Can you answer my other questions too, are did MIT dumb you down to much to
answer it ? ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.