From: Dudley Hanks on

"Jeff Jones" <jj197109671(a)mailinator.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 May 2010 02:25:19 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
> <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
>>Once you get past arbitrary standards, a photo by a blind photographer
>>might
>>just well indicate better mastery of the art than that exhibited by the
>>Mona
>>Lisa
>
> And there you have it folks. Precisely the kind of delusional twit that
> you've all come to know and support.

I never said mine were, just that a blind photographer might exhibit a
better mastery of the art than an artist who has exemplary physical
abilities... The end result may not be as pleasing to the eye of a sighted
person, but it may well have taken supreme skills to produce it. But, with
your bigotted outlook on life, you'll never understand that point...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 11:55:01 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com>
wrote in
<cec0c04c-03b6-46e7-8fe9-12ec633563e2(a)e6g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>:

>On May 28, 2:40�am, John Navas <jnsp...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:22:59 -0700, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com>
>> wrote in <4bff1afc$0$1591$742ec...(a)news.sonic.net>:

>> >You've got to understand the issue here. Apparently our favorite troll
>> >has an FZ-35/FZ-38 so by default that camera becomes the perfect camera
>> >and it can have no faults.
>>
>> >Unlike you and I, who could objectively look at most any item we own and
>> >point out both its highs and lows to someone who inquires about it,
>> >there are people that immediately after purchasing an item feel
>> >compelled to justify the purchase to the entire world and make it clear
>> >that their purchasing decision was in fact the best possible one. It's
>> >deep-seated insecurity that causes this behavior.
>>
>> >The reality is that it at low ISO settings the FZ-35/FZ-38 produces
>> >acceptable results, and it has many highly desirable features.
>> >But it is neither the best quality ZLR in terms of noise or image
>> >quality, nor is it anywhere close to quality of a D-SLR.
>>
>> The actual reality is that you have zero experience with any of these
>> cameras, and have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> John
>>
>> Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
>> it makes you a dSLR owner.
>> "The single most important component of a camera
>> is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
>
>Erm, have you ever tried a DSLR?

Often. Canon and Nikon. My favorite is probably the D90.

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 12:04:11 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote in <4c0013b7$0$1639$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:

>It's always amusing, though rather sad, to see Usenet (and other forum)
>posts where the sole purpose of the poster is to try to justify their
>purchase. It's as if it's a personal insult when someone points out even
>the slightest flaw in the product and why some other product might be
>better.

At least they have the actual gear. Even more amusing are people like
you that pontificate on gear with which they have zero experience, made
painfully clear by how oven the pontification is patently wrong.

>For outdoor photos in good light with non-moving subjects, a superzoom
>can produce good results, and is certainly more convenient than a D-SLR.
>The reason why D-SLR sales are going up so much faster is the situations
>where they excel--low light, moving subjects, and better wide angle and
>telephoto lenses than the compromise lenses on the ZLRs.

The reason why D-SLR sales are going up faster is that they are coming
from a lower base. Compact super-zoom sales continue to grow.

From: David J Taylor on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
[]
> I was wondering when somebody would point that out...
>
> My only lenses for the XSi are either 3.5 - 5.6 or 4.0 - 5.6, so the
> f/2.8 - 4.3 is still larger, even at long focal lengths...

The aperture (as an f/number) may be slightly "smaller" (i.e. higher
f/number), but more light is collected because the actual physical
aperture is greater (i.e. more photons get in).

> As for the ISO 3200 not producing the full resolution, that would only
> be a problem if I intended to produce low light, large format prints,
> which I obviously would not, and the image size is plenty big enough for
> posts to Usenet, my site, etc...

Of course, but applying the same resolution reduction, the DSLR will work
as well at 6400 12800 etc. ISO.

> I forgot to put the smaller end of the aperture range, as I do not shoot
> at full zoom very often. Most of my pics are at the shorter to mid
> focal length of the 36 to 360mm lens. So, even at 3.5 for about 180mm,
> the aperture is as large as the lowend of my other lenses, which seems
> like a large aperture zoom to me...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Normally, I have similar lenses to you (16-85mm, f/3.5-f/5.6; 70-300mm,
f/4.5-f/5.6), but I treated myself to an f/1.8 lens for my DSLR recently.
The f/1.8 combined with the ISO 3200 allowed me some shots of the aurora
borealis, with which I was very pleased. For low-light and night-time
shots, I would be in envy of the full-frame DSLR and f/1.4 lenses! <G>

Cheers,
David

From: Dudley Hanks on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
> []
>> I was wondering when somebody would point that out...
>>
>> My only lenses for the XSi are either 3.5 - 5.6 or 4.0 - 5.6, so the
>> f/2.8 - 4.3 is still larger, even at long focal lengths...
>
> The aperture (as an f/number) may be slightly "smaller" (i.e. higher
> f/number), but more light is collected because the actual physical
> aperture is greater (i.e. more photons get in).
>
>> As for the ISO 3200 not producing the full resolution, that would only be
>> a problem if I intended to produce low light, large format prints, which
>> I obviously would not, and the image size is plenty big enough for posts
>> to Usenet, my site, etc...
>
> Of course, but applying the same resolution reduction, the DSLR will work
> as well at 6400 12800 etc. ISO.
>
>> I forgot to put the smaller end of the aperture range, as I do not shoot
>> at full zoom very often. Most of my pics are at the shorter to mid focal
>> length of the 36 to 360mm lens. So, even at 3.5 for about 180mm, the
>> aperture is as large as the lowend of my other lenses, which seems like a
>> large aperture zoom to me...
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> Normally, I have similar lenses to you (16-85mm, f/3.5-f/5.6; 70-300mm,
> f/4.5-f/5.6), but I treated myself to an f/1.8 lens for my DSLR recently.
> The f/1.8 combined with the ISO 3200 allowed me some shots of the aurora
> borealis, with which I was very pleased. For low-light and night-time
> shots, I would be in envy of the full-frame DSLR and f/1.4 lenses! <G>
>
> Cheers,
> David

You and me both ... :)

My next lens will probably be either a macro (not sure which one) or the
f/2.8 85mm lens. With my old A1 camera, I had a nice 130mm lens which was
great for portraits, candids, etc, and I think the 85mm will yield similar
results with the XSi.

Take Care,
Dudley