From: F on
I'm looking to replace my ageing Panasonic FZ30 and am considering the
Canon SX1 IS and the Panasonic FZ38. Does anyone know whether or not
either of these is likely to be replaced in the next couple of months?

TIA

From: John Navas on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 23:19:01 +0100, F <news(a)nowhere> wrote in
<Ae-dndSlrNI6A2DWnZ2dnUVZ8rmdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>:

>I'm looking to replace my ageing Panasonic FZ30 and am considering the
>Canon SX1 IS and the Panasonic FZ38. Does anyone know whether or not
>either of these is likely to be replaced in the next couple of months?

I think it unlikely for the Panasonic to be replaced anytime soon.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: F on
On 26/05/2010 23:58 John Navas wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 23:19:01 +0100, F<news(a)nowhere> wrote in
> <Ae-dndSlrNI6A2DWnZ2dnUVZ8rmdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>:
>
>> I'm looking to replace my ageing Panasonic FZ30 and am considering the
>> Canon SX1 IS and the Panasonic FZ38. Does anyone know whether or not
>> either of these is likely to be replaced in the next couple of months?
>
> I think it unlikely for the Panasonic to be replaced anytime soon.

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether or not Panasonic released updated/new
models every 12 months.

From: Better Info on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 23:19:01 +0100, F <news(a)nowhere> wrote:

>I'm looking to replace my ageing Panasonic FZ30 and am considering the
>Canon SX1 IS and the Panasonic FZ38. Does anyone know whether or not
>either of these is likely to be replaced in the next couple of months?
>
>TIA

Both are excellent cameras. Depending on your level of photography skills
and level of creativity, you might want to consider too that the SX1 has
had CHDK ported to it (nearing the end of its beta phase at the moment,
just a few CHDK features are not enabled yet). See links below. Keep in
mind though that most of the features of CHDK are for *very* advanced
photographers (browse the online user's manual). It may be something that
would be of no use to you. In that case the FZ38 would be just as good.

Don't bother waiting on replacements, that's a fool's game. Unless you know
for certain something is being released in a set amount of time with a
feature that you've been waiting for your whole life. Even then, newer is
not always better. I have found it is often better to buy the tried, true,
and tested camera of this or last year at a lower price than the next model
that has had features crippled or the manufacturer cut quality to cut
costs. I still have one camera made in 2003 with an image quality that
still can't be beat by today's models.

Another point in the SX1's favor is that I found it is best to switch
manufacturers every other camera. Features from one camera company will
often compliment features on another manufacturer's cameras. For example, I
bought a Sony for its infrared-capabilities, an excellent camera, but it
lacked things like stereo video recording, almost essential to the nature
documentary photographer. So my next camera included a CD quality stereo
feature, but that had to be obtained from a different maker. I now have
both capabilities at my disposal. Since you already have the FZ30, the SX1
might give you some features that are lacking in the Panasonic line. Then
you'll have a choice of whichever features you need between the two. I
found too that by becoming comfortable with any camera from any maker that
I am then more spontaneous and creative in using any of them. The camera no
longer becomes such an important part of the photography process. It
becomes just something that exists between you and the photograph that you
want to create. I also don't become stuck in a photographic rut by taking
all my images the same way, constrained by that one maker's features or
limitations.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

From: SMS on
On 26/05/10 3:19 PM, F wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my ageing Panasonic FZ30 and am considering the
> Canon SX1 IS and the Panasonic FZ38. Does anyone know whether or not
> either of these is likely to be replaced in the next couple of months?

The SX2 IS is overdue but it won't necessarily be any better and could
be worse. Not every new model is better than the previous model,
especially on P&S cameras where the manufacturers get into megapixel
wars and end up with ridiculously tiny pixels and high noise. Canon
actually went backward from the G10 to the G11 in terms of pixels, which
was move forward in terms of quality.

The FZ38 is noisier than the SX1 IS, not surprising given Panasonic's
long history of noise boxes. Don't get the FZ38 if you plan on doing
anything in low light/higher than 100 ISO. Some reviews complain about
noise even at 80 ISO!

One advantage of most Canon P&S models is the availability of the free
CHDK software which adds some extra capabilities that more sophisticated
photographers may find useful. See "http://mighty-hoernsche.de/".
There's a beta version available for the SX1 IS. I helped write some of
the CHDK documentation and I'm a big fan (and user) of it.

One advantage of the Panasonic is that it uses a Li-Ion battery, while
Canon cut costs by using AA batteries.

Bottom line, the FZ38 while it has impressive specs on paper,
disappoints in actual use.