From: Dudley Hanks on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>

>> Ranted like a true elitist...
>>
>> And you wonder why Muslims, Christians, Maoists, etc kill each other in
>> the name of who's right...
>>
>> Once you get past arbitrary standards, a photo by a blind photographer
>> might just well indicate better mastery of the art than that exhibited by
>> the Mona Lisa, a painting done by somebody with keen vision, superb motor
>> skills, and the social status necessary to obtain all the resources and
>> education needed to put it all together...
>>
>> "I remember, too, being very much influenced in this regard by a powerful
>> story by Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry. Travelling by train from France to
>> Poland with a coach full of immigrants who were being sent back home
>> because there was little work in France, Saint-Exup�ry noticed a
>> beautiful child with large sad eyes. The thought suddenly struck the
>> writer that this little boy might be as talented as Mozart, but he would
>> never have a chance. His parents were poor; it was obvious that they had
>> little to eat. He would never be able to learn a musical instrument.
>> Saint-Exup�ry called this story "Mozart Assassinated;" and I remember
>> thinking that Canada must organize itself so that we stop assassinating
>> our Mozarts - that all Canadians should have the opportunity to fulfil
>> themselves to the best of their ability."
>>
>> Quoted from the Memoirs of the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau
>>

> And yet there's this:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4457278.stm
>

> --
> Peter

Trudeau's reach acceded his grasp by a faire bit. People either love him or
hate him.

Many of his goals were never met, but he tried hard to make Canadian society
more equitable for all.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: DanP on
On May 30, 1:02 am, John Navas <jnsp...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >From where?
> >The only thing that matters is the f number.
> >According to your linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-numberlenses
> >set at the same f stop will have the same illuminance in the focal
> >plane.
>
> Correct, but you're confusing that with the number of photons.

The only way to measure the number of photons is to measure their
light.
So, it is the same thing.
The diaphragm takes care of the extra light to adjust the f number.

DanP
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 00:42:43 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com>
wrote in
<102641f3-28ae-47a4-93da-6777fc42281d(a)k25g2000prh.googlegroups.com>:

>On May 30, 1:02�am, John Navas <jnsp...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >From where?
>> >The only thing that matters is the f number.
>> >According to your linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-numberlenses
>> >set at the same f stop will have the same illuminance in the focal
>> >plane.
>>
>> Correct, but you're confusing that with the number of photons.
>
>The only way to measure the number of photons is to measure their
>light.
>So, it is the same thing.
>The diaphragm takes care of the extra light to adjust the f number.

I give up. Have it your way.

--
Best regards,
John

"There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
-Will Rogers
From: Peter on

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message

>>> My goal is a bit of both...
>>>
>>> As I've said in the past, I hope to produce pics that sighted people can
>>> appreciate...
>>
>> While many have not achieved your goal, I have seen a few that do.
>>

> Thanks, Peter, I'm still in the test shot stage of development, trying to
> find out just what I can do with what techniques, and how those techniques
> can enhance what limited sight I do have.
>
> For instance, I picked up another 75 - 300mm lens the other day (as my old
> one's AF system bit the bullet some time ago), and I went down to the
> local arena (yes, we're still playing hockey up here).
>
> In the past, I've been concentrating on how to frame mainly wide-angle
> shots, since it's extremely difficult for me to aim a pinpoint long
> focal-length lens with any kind of accuracy.
>
> This time, I thought, "The hell with it," and zoomed right out to 300mm
> (480mm @ 35mm equiv), and I started taking picks.
>
> After reviewing a few picks of ice, ceiling, lights, parts of the hockey
> nets, skates, sticks, etc, I thought to myself, there has to be a way I
> can get a feel for what is out there.
>
> At this point, I changed my grip slightly, so I could feel the lens
> focusing with the fingertips of my left hand, and I switched from single
> shot mode to AF servo, and I just panned the camera, feeling how the lens
> moved back and forth.
>
> It occurred to me that the lens would "hunt" for something to focus if I
> had it aimed towards open ice, the boards / glass, etc, and would suddenly
> jerk to an object whenever I passed it over something contrasting,
> players, the nets, face-off circles, etc.
>
> Using that technique, I started taking some picks.
>
> I ended up with a few interesting picks. Since it was just a hockey
> practice, I got some pics of coaches standing there, talking to groups of
> players, other players doing "push-ups" against the glass, and a couple of
> picks of players working at skating drills.
>
> There was nothing horribly interesting, but I did have a couple of neat
> pics where the coach was in focus along with one player, and two or three
> other players (either in front of or behind) were out of focus. It kind
> of looked like that player and the coach were engaged in there own
> discussion, excluding the others.
>
> Unfortunately, the shots were hand held, so there was a fair bit of camera
> shake, but the technique is one I think will work well if I can get a fast
> enough lens to use that focal length. In the case of a game, I can put
> the camera on a tripod and zone focus using that technique (single shot
> mode) and then snap happily away with the SX120 and use the tripod XSi via
> a cable release.
>
> I think my hockey game keepers should improve substantially because of
> that little scouting trip...

I too have a Faustian attitude.
We must continue striving, despite our mistakes.

--
Peter

From: SMS on
On 31/05/10 3:57 AM, John Turco wrote:

<snip>

> I suspect that Steven M. Sharf (a.k.a., "SMS") just enjoys baiting you, with
> his frequent boasts of contributing to CHDK's documentation.

Not true. I could care less about out favorite troll, I've had him
kill-filed for nearly a year now.

I'm a big user of CHDK and we have three Canon P&S cameras (one SD800 IS
and two A570 IS) that have it installed. I found some of the
documentation lacking, and some non-existent, so I wrote it and added it
to the Wiki and the FAQ. It's a Wiki, and anyone with useful information
can contribute. None of the contributions I have made have been removed
or modified, so they appear to be useful to some readers.

"http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK"

When mentioning CHDK in posts, I want to emphasize that it's a volunteer
effort, non-commercial, that anyone can contribute their expertise and
knowledge to. I don't want people scared off of using CHDK by
associating it solely with our favorite troll, so it should be made
clear that normal people also are using and contributing to the effort.