From: Arturo Magidin on
In article <8i_Sg.25507$QT.3131(a)tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
Poker Joker <Poker(a)wi.rr.com> wrote:

>"Arturo Magidin" <magidin(a)math.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
>
>> If one proves that for EVERY function f:N->R, there exists x in R (which
>> depends on f) such that x is not in f(N), then this proves that EVERY
>> list of real numbers is incomplete. This proves that NO list can be
>> complete, and that's what you want the proof for in the first place.
>
>Why the switch to functional notation?

To make clear and explicit was has up to now been implicit: that a
list is a function from the natural numbers to the reals.

> I think you are trying to make it
>more complicated than it is.

You are free to think what you want. Reality notwithstanding.

>The OP already pointed out the problem with your argument.

No, the original poster pointed out what he thinks is a problem with
the proof.

> The point
>is that you ->CAN'T<- prove that for ->EVERY<- function unless you
>assume that ->NONE<- of them have R as their image.

Using capital letters does not make the objection true.

Your inability to prove it does not affect my ability to prove that
for every function function f:N->R, assuming only that it is a
function from N to R, and no other properties, there exists x such
that x is not in f(N). Since the proof assumes nothing at all about f
other than the fact that it is a function, the proof shows that I can
prove it for every function, and that I do not assume anything like
what you assert is being assumed.

>And since you
>must assume that ->SOME MIGHT<- have R as their image,

I assume nothing about the range of f, other than that it is contained
in R. Whether or not it has R as the image is irrelevant.

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org

From: georgie on

Randy Poe wrote:

> Uh, no. We just assume that f is a function that takes naturals
> and produces reals.
>
> For instance, let f(x) = sqrt(x).
>
> Do I have to assume that f(x) "might have R as its image" in order
> to talk about f(x) = sqrt(x)? Can't I just talk about f(x) = sqrt(x)
> and examine what properties is has rather than speculating about
> what it might have?

No, but f(x) = sqrt(x) isn't true in general. We don't take it as
being
valid for all x.

From: georgie on

georgie wrote:
> Randy Poe wrote:
> >
> > Uh, no. We just assume that f is a function that takes naturals
> > and produces reals.
> >
> > For instance, let f(x) = sqrt(x).
> >
> > Do I have to assume that f(x) "might have R as its image" in order
> > to talk about f(x) = sqrt(x)? Can't I just talk about f(x) = sqrt(x)
> > and examine what properties is has rather than speculating about
> > what it might have?
>
> No, but f(x) = sqrt(x) isn't true in general. We don't take it as
> being
> valid for all x.

Sorry, I mean x = sqrt(x).

From: Jesse F. Hughes on
"Dave L. Renfro" <renfr1dl(a)cmich.edu> writes:

> Each sequence of real numbers omits at least one real
> number. (Sequence being a 1-1 and onto function from the positive
> integers to the real numbers.)

Er, are you sure about that definition of sequence? Seems to me that
a sequence is any function from the positive integers to the reals.

With your definition, the conclusion would be: every onto function
N->R is not onto. This is true, of course, but is more likely to
confuse the "Anti-Cantorians" rather than enlighten them.

--
Jesse F. Hughes

"I guess it's a passable day to die."
-- Lt. Dwarf, /Star Wreck:In the Pirkinning"
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
"david petry" <david_lawrence_petry(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> The argument of the "anti-Cantorians" is that "real" mathematics is
> computationally testable.

Bullshit. That's *your* argument. Perhaps some other so-called
"anti-Cantorians" have agreed with you, but that is not the motivation
of every anti-Cantorian.

--
"So, at this time, I'd like to assure you that I am not interested in
making sure mathematicians worldwide get fired."--JSH Apr 28, 2003