From: Randy Poe on

Poker Joker wrote:
> "Arturo Magidin" <magidin(a)math.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
>
> > If one proves that for EVERY function f:N->R, there exists x in R (which
> > depends on f) such that x is not in f(N), then this proves that EVERY
> > list of real numbers is incomplete. This proves that NO list can be
> > complete, and that's what you want the proof for in the first place.
>
> Why the switch to functional notation?

To make the statement more compact.

> I think you are trying to make it
> more complicated than it is.

It was one sentence. How complicated is that?

> The OP already pointed out the problem with your argument. The point
> is that you ->CAN'T<- prove that for ->EVERY<- function unless you
> assume that ->NONE<- of them have R as their image.

That's incorrect. You don't have to assume none map onto R in order to
prove none map onto R.

The direct argument starts this way: Let f be any such function, from
naturals to reals.

Now, are you saying that somehow that misses some possible functions
from naturals to reals? How so?

Given only that assumption about f (which includes ALL POSSIBLE
SUCH FUNCTIONS) it follows that f misses some reals. It follows
just from assuming f maps naturals to reals.

What function from naturals to reals is missed by that argument?

- Randy

From: cbrown on
Poker Joker wrote:
> "Arturo Magidin" <magidin(a)math.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
>
> > If one proves that for EVERY function f:N->R, there exists x in R (which
> > depends on f) such that x is not in f(N), then this proves that EVERY
> > list of real numbers is incomplete. This proves that NO list can be
> > complete, and that's what you want the proof for in the first place.
>
> Why the switch to functional notation? I think you are trying to make it
> more complicated than it is.
>
> The OP already pointed out the problem with your argument. The point
> is that you ->CAN'T<- prove that for ->EVERY<- function unless you
> assume that ->NONE<- of them have R as their image. And since you
> must assume that ->SOME MIGHT<- have R as their image, there
> exists no such real number because the definition of that real is
> self-referential in that case.

Apply your logic to "oddven".

A natural number is even if it is of the form 2*n, and odd if it is not
of this form. A number is oddven if it is both even and odd.

1) Assume that n is oddven.
2) If it is oddven, then it is even; so it is of the form 2*n.
3) But if it is oddven, then it is odd; and therefore it is not of the
form 2*n.
4) Contradiction; therefore no such n exists.

Simpler is the following:

1) Let n be any even number.
2) n is then of the form 2*n.
3) It follows that n cannot be odd.
4) Therefore, there is no such thing as an oddven number.

In the case of the original argument, substitute "is a list of real
numbers" for "even", "is a complete mapping" for "odd", and "is a
complete list of the reals" for "oddven".

Cheers - Chas

From: Poker Joker on

"Virgil" <virgil(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <C2ZSg.1209$3E2.571(a)tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
> "Poker Joker" <Poker(a)wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily-diespamdie(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> > You produce ANY list of all Reals, I can show you a missing real.
>> > Therefore I can do it for ALL lists, and hence there is no complete
>> > list
>> > of Reals.
>>
>> If he shows you a list of all reals you can't.
>
> The point is that if there is no such list he cannot show you one, and
> the proof show that there is no such list.

The point is that if there is such a list the proof that there isn't one
isn't valid, but even more, under the assumption that there *MAY*
be such a list, the proof is not valid because it would entail a
self-referential definition.

Whether the proof is by-contradiction or not is immaterial. Either
way the real number from step #2 is defined in terms of itself under
the assumption that the list *MIGHT* contain all the reals.

From: Poker Joker on

<cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com> wrote in message

> Apply your logic to "oddven".
>
> A natural number is even if it is of the form 2*n, and odd if it is not
> of this form. A number is oddven if it is both even and odd.
>
> 1) Assume that n is oddven.
> 2) If it is oddven, then it is even; so it is of the form 2*n.
> 3) But if it is oddven, then it is odd; and therefore it is not of the
> form 2*n.
> 4) Contradiction; therefore no such n exists.

First, the OP isn't saying anything is wrong with "proofs
by contradiction". He's saying that there is a meaningless
definition like "This statement is false."

There is no meaningless definition in your step 2.

Defining a real number in terms of all real numbers in a
set is self referential if the set contains all the real
numbers. The same is true for lists. So under the
assumption that the list *MIGHT* contain all the real
numbers, we can't say that the definition is not
self-referential. Therefore it is meaningless.

From: William Hughes on

Poker Joker wrote:
> <cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com> wrote in message
>
> > Apply your logic to "oddven".
> >
> > A natural number is even if it is of the form 2*n, and odd if it is not
> > of this form. A number is oddven if it is both even and odd.
> >
> > 1) Assume that n is oddven.
> > 2) If it is oddven, then it is even; so it is of the form 2*n.
> > 3) But if it is oddven, then it is odd; and therefore it is not of the
> > form 2*n.
> > 4) Contradiction; therefore no such n exists.
>
> First, the OP isn't saying anything is wrong with "proofs
> by contradiction". He's saying that there is a meaningless
> definition like "This statement is false."
>
> There is no meaningless definition in your step 2.
>
> Defining a real number in terms of all real numbers in a
> set is self referential if the set contains all the real
> numbers. The same is true for lists. So under the
> assumption that the list *MIGHT* contain all the real
> numbers, we can't say that the definition is not
> self-referential. Therefore it is meaningless.

Nope. The steps are as follows.

Consider a list of real numbers L. (At this point we do not know
if L contains all real numbers or not).
In your terminology, L might contain all real numbers.

Define a procedure D, that takes a list M and produces
a real number r=D(M). This procedure D will work on any
list M

Apply the procedure D to the list L to get a real
number r=D(L). Note that D(L) exists because we can
apply D to any list. The fact that L *might* contain all
the real numbers is not a problem because D was
defined in such a way that it can be applied to any list.

We now have a list L and a real number r. We
argue that by the way r was constructed r cannot
be an element of L. At this point we conclude
that L does not contain all the real numbers.

There is nothing self referential here.

- William Hughes

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Pi berechnen: Ramanujan oder BBP