From: david petry on

the_wign(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Cantor's proof is one of the most popular topics on this NG. It
> seems that people are confused or uncomfortable with it, so
> I've tried to summarize it to the simplest terms: [...]

I don't know if anyone in this newsgroup is confused by Cantor's proof,
but what you have written misses the whole point of the endless debate
that takes place here.

The argument of the "anti-Cantorians" is that "real" mathematics is
computationally testable. That is, valid, meaningful mathematical
statements must make predictions about the outcome of computational
experiments. (And note that any mathematics that is potentially
applicable must satisfy that requirement) And hence, all objects that
exist in the world of "real" mathematics must be computable. And there
cannot be more than countably many such objects.

If you start with a well defined list of well defined real numbers (so
that every digit of every real number can be computed), then the
diagonal method gives us a way of constructing a new real number not on
that list, but that certainly does not imply that the well defined real
numbers are uncountable in Cantor's intended sense of the word.

From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <1159417542.425540.214160(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
>> the_wign(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>>> 1. Assume there is a list containing all the reals.
>>> 2. Show that a real can be defined/constructed from that list.
>>> 3. Show why the real from step 2 is not on the list.
>>> 4. Conclude that the premise is wrong because of the contradiction.
>
> That is a proof by contradiction, which many constructionists object to.

No, they don't, presuming you mean constructivists. A direct
constructivistic proof of ~A is a proof of contradiction from A. What
one can't do constructively is to prove A by proving that ~A leads to a
contradiction.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"
From: Virgil on
In article <j%WSg.22037$SY6.17302(a)reader1.news.jippii.net>,
Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensilta(a)xortec.fi> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <1159417542.425540.214160(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> > cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> >
> > That is a proof by contradiction, which many constructionists object to.
>
> No, they don't, presuming you mean constructivists. A direct
> constructivistic proof of ~A is a proof of contradiction from A. What
> one can't do constructively is to prove A by proving that ~A leads to a
> contradiction.

In my understanding, a "proof by contradiction" is essentially a proof
of A by proving ~A false, which requires accepting the law of the
excluded middle.
I understood that constructivists did not much care for the law of the
excluded middle.
From: the_wign on
Most of the responses point out that a simpler proof or a proof
that avoids the problem of the self-reference is to consider ANY
list of real numbers. However, that doesn't seem to simplify
anything. Now instead of assuming the list contains all reals,
we must make no assumptions. But that means we must
consider incomplete lists and complete lists, because the
construction that occurs in step 2 must be shown to be valid
in all cases. In the case of lists that contain all reals, which
we must consider unless we are assuming no such list exists
(What good is the proof in that case?), then we immediately
recognize that the real number described in step #2 as
ill-defined and meaningless. So if we consider ANY list we
end up with the same problem. In addition we have another
case to consider, although I think nobody would object if we
neglected to consider that case here.

From: Arturo Magidin on
In article <virgil-FDA0EC.15584628092006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
Virgil <virgil(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>In article <j%WSg.22037$SY6.17302(a)reader1.news.jippii.net>,
> Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensilta(a)xortec.fi> wrote:
>
>> Virgil wrote:
>> >
>> > That is a proof by contradiction, which many constructionists object to.
>>
>> No, they don't, presuming you mean constructivists. A direct
>> constructivistic proof of ~A is a proof of contradiction from A. What
>> one can't do constructively is to prove A by proving that ~A leads to a
>> contradiction.
>
>In my understanding, a "proof by contradiction" is essentially a proof
>of A by proving ~A false, which requires accepting the law of the
>excluded middle.

As I understand it:

The "proof by contradiction" blueprint is basically that

[A -> (B and ~B)] -> ~A.

(or, in some forms, that (P -> ~P) -> ~P )

To be precise, in proof by contradiction, from an assumption A you
derive a contradiction, and you deduce ~(A). This is accepted by
constructivist. You can assume something exists, for example, deduce a
contradiction, and conclude that such a thing does not exist.

In the case where A is itself a negation, A = ~B, the constructivist
accepts a that from if from A you deduce a contradiction ("deduce"
here is restricted to methods allowed by constructivists, of course),
then you can conclude ~A. For most mathematicians, this is equivalent
to B, since ~A = ~~B, and excluded middle will give you B. For
constructivist this is not the case.

So: if you assume that there does not exist x such that P(x), and
deduce a contradiction, the constructivist will accept that "it is
absurd that there does not exist x such that P(x)". He will not,
however, accept that there ->exists<- an x such that P(x). i.e., he
will accept

~(~(Ex P(x))),

but he will not accept

Ex P(x).

>I understood that constructivists did not much care for the law of the
>excluded middle.

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14