From: Poker Joker on

"Randy Poe" <poespam-trap(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That's incorrect. You don't have to assume none map onto R in order to
> prove none map onto R.
>
> The direct argument starts this way: Let f be any such function, from
> naturals to reals.

Certainly we should assume that f *MIGHT* have R as its image, right?

> Now, are you saying that somehow that misses some possible functions
> from naturals to reals? How so?

No, but we haven't proven that the image of f can't be R in step #1, right?
So step #2 isn't valid, right? It's only *VALID* if R isn't the image of f.
But without step #2 being valid under *ALL* conditions, the proof
as a whole breaks down.

> Given only that assumption about f (which includes ALL POSSIBLE
> SUCH FUNCTIONS) it follows that f misses some reals. It follows
> just from assuming f maps naturals to reals.

Under the most general assumption, we can't count out that
R is f's image, so defining a real in terms of the image of
f *MIGHT* be self-referential, and it certainly is if the image
of f is R. So, in general, the best we can say is that the
real from step #2 might be self-referential and hasn't been
shown not to be so without assuming the conclusion is true.
I don't usually accept proofs that *REQUIRE* you to assume
the conclusion is true for the proof to be valid. At best, the proof
might show the conclusion to be independent of the premises.

> What function from naturals to reals is missed by that argument?

I'm not missing any, because I'm considering functions with R as
their image. It seems that you are the one not considering
those functions and their implication for step #2.

From: Poker Joker on

"William Hughes" <wpihughes(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Define a procedure D, that takes a list M and produces
> a real number r=D(M). This procedure D will work on any
> list M

If M contains all reals, it contains r, so:

r = D( M : r in M)

See the self reference?

From: William Hughes on

Poker Joker wrote:
> "William Hughes" <wpihughes(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Define a procedure D, that takes a list M and produces
> > a real number r=D(M). This procedure D will work on any
> > list M
>
> If M contains all reals, it contains r, so:
>
> r = D( M : r in M)
>
> See the self reference?

No

I suppose what you mean is

r = D(M, with M being a list that contains r)

but we never have this. What we have is

r = D(M, with M being a list that may contain r)

later we learn that M did not contain r (no contradiction we
only said may).

- William Hughes

From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Poker Joker wrote:
> <cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com> wrote in message
>
> > Apply your logic to "oddven".
> >
> > A natural number is even if it is of the form 2*n, and odd if it is not
> > of this form. A number is oddven if it is both even and odd.
> >
> > 1) Assume that n is oddven.
> > 2) If it is oddven, then it is even; so it is of the form 2*n.
> > 3) But if it is oddven, then it is odd; and therefore it is not of the
> > form 2*n.
> > 4) Contradiction; therefore no such n exists.
>
> First, the OP isn't saying anything is wrong with "proofs
> by contradiction". He's saying that there is a meaningless
> definition like "This statement is false."
>
> There is no meaningless definition in your step 2.
>
> Defining a real number in terms of all real numbers in a
> set is self referential if the set contains all the real
> numbers. The same is true for lists. So under the
> assumption that the list *MIGHT* contain all the real
> numbers, we can't say that the definition is not
> self-referential. Therefore it is meaningless.

Poker Joker:

Bravo!

You're damn right.

Dang, I wanted to be 39. I must have seen ten thousand usenet
messages.

Ross

From: cbrown on
Poker Joker wrote:
> "William Hughes" <wpihughes(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Define a procedure D, that takes a list M and produces
> > a real number r=D(M). This procedure D will work on any
> > list M
>
> If M contains all reals, it contains r, so:...

Likewise, the definition given implies that M is a complete list of
reals if and only if M is complete, and M is a list of reals.

If M is a list of reals, we can construct a real which is not in M;
i.e, M is not complete.

Therefore, the assertion "M is a complete list of reals" is only true
if the assertion "M is complete, and M is not complete" is true.

(A and ~A) = false.

Therefore, the assertion "M is a complete list of reals" is logically
false for any M. There is no need to assume that an object such as a
complete list of all reals exists in order to prove that such an object
does not exist.

Cheers - Chas

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Pi berechnen: Ramanujan oder BBP
Next: Group Theory