From: Tom B on

10-4, The only "iffy" thing I have heard about them was that the first run
powered versions had some noise issues. Supposedly that has been cured in
the current offerings. You might want to research that if you go the active
route.

I have some original M-Audio B5's and Steve's description is very much what
I hear. They are nice but they do have this certain character and I'm not
sure they sereve the same purpose that the ATones do.

Also on those Minimus 7's, lots of people rework those things with new
drivers but they are a nice small speaker.

I have a friend that just bought some old ATones but had to have them
re-coned. He likes them a lot and did his latest CD with them. You can check
out Dan Goodman ( smooth jazz ) on Soundclick or iTunes to hear some of his
stuff.

From all I've heard those new ATones are as close and as good as you are
going to get.

From: Ted Perlman on
< I'd not trust them for mixing the way I trust the HR824s>

I actually gave my pair of Mackie 824's away because they didn't represent
anything approaching reality. I like my Auratones but only for checking, not
listening. I have 6 pairs of Minimus 7's, and they are excellent, but again
not what I would trust listening to a mix on. I love the Event Precision 6's
and have found them to be very very accurate and unbiased.

But it always comes back to my Yamaha NS10's to tell me what reality is in
my mixes. They've never lied to me in the 25 years I have been using them.
Whether the mix is going to a mastering lab or presssing plant, the result
is always is what I heard when I mixed the reecording.

--
Regards,

Ted Perlman
www.tedperlman.com
www.myspace.com/tedperlman
www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

From: Neil Rutman on
Thanks for the insight Ted.

Neil R

From: Here In Oregon on

"Ted Perlman" > But it always comes back to my Yamaha NS10's to tell me what
reality is in my mixes. They've never lied to me in the 25 years I have been
using them. Whether the mix is going to a mastering lab or presssing plant,
the result is always is what I heard when I mixed the reecording.

Yes, but you did not have any *fun* mixing with them now did you.

From: Mod Bod on
Glennbo wrote:
> The killer robot "Ted Perlman" <ted(a)tedperlman.com> grabbed the controls
> of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> But it always comes back to my Yamaha NS10's to tell me what reality
>> is in my mixes. They've never lied to me in the 25 years I have been
>> using them. Whether the mix is going to a mastering lab or presssing
>> plant, the result is always is what I heard when I mixed the
>> reecording.
>
> I've got the little tiny Yamaha MSP3 monitors with the same Yamaha sub you
> had a few years ago (or might still be using), and I originally got them to
> supliment my larger JBL bi-amped monitors which had had the amps, and
> crossover tuned with a hand held spectrum analyser and pink noise in the
> room to be ruler flat. Anyway, I started using the little Yamahas more and
> more as I found they revealed the same stuff that the big JBLs did. A
> couple years ago, Big Daddy hit me up to sell him those JBLs, and I jumped
> on it before he changed his mind. I don't miss the JBLs at all and still
> get mixes that translate to boom boxes and car stereos, as well as decent
> home stereo systems with everything still balanced the way I intended it.

I bought one of those consumer grade Yamaha subs to go along with my
NS10s. The model is the YST-SW215. I bought it at Best Buy. It just
gives me a little warm and fuzzy to suit my bass playing ears.

I've got a pair of Rat Shack Optimus speakers too. The trick is to get
something to sound tolerable on them.

I usually track using the JBL 4312s because they can take a little
power, then switch to the NS10s for mixing because they put the nasty
right in your face so that you either fix it or get used to it. I'll
then flip on the Optimus to see where the mud I missed is.

--
Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette

http://www.gatortraks.com/forum
http://www.gatortraks.com