From: Neil Rutman on
After my 2nd Samson C Control crapped out on me I decided to pony up the
cash for a Presonus Central Station which is worlds better.

I can now ad an additional monitor to go with my HR824's and ADS L-810's. I
need an Aurotone type of cheap reference. Those are hard to find. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Neil R

From: Steve_Karl on
I absolutely love the auratone 5C cubes I have. They're a great contrast to my hr824s.
Got them on eBay many many yrs ago.
I use them for general listening and watching tv and movies and am also running a sub with them,
auratones and sub driven by a vintage Marantz 1060 which is a nice warm and pretty flat amp
as amps go. They really show the mids and have a nice stero image, but are also an easy
adaptation ( at the ears ) from the very flat hr824s, even though they are really different sounding.
Well maybe I'm just really used to them.
I'd not trust them for mixing the way I trust the HR824s but they're a good second check to see if anything is
really sticking out, or lost.

I hear (rumor only) that the radioshack realistic minimus 7s are pretty cool
but I've never actually heard them.
eBay again for those.

From: Steve_Karl on
My friend Trudy has a pair of M-Audio BX5a
monitors that are pretty nice.
They're much closer in sound to the hr824s than auratones but a bit "smaller" sounding, and a bit more defined,
or maybe the term is "edgy" ( but not in a bad way ) in the mids, upper mids, crunch.
I've considered getting a set of those for the other side of the room where I cut tracks.

From: Tom B on
You know you can buy these, right?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MixCubes/

They make active as well. You can buy singles also if you just to do mono
checks.

From: Neil Rutman on
Exactly what I'm looking for thanks Tom! Thank to you Steve as well for your
suggestions.

Neil R