From: Petter Gustad on
John Adair <g1(a)enterpoint.co.uk> writes:

> A number of parallel port based cables, like our Prog2 cable, will
> work for Chipscope/Impact tools. USB solutions are not readily

Is the ChipScope/Impact software interface documented? Is there a way
I can write a plug-in for my programmer so that it will work with my
own programmer?

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6(a)gustad.com> wrote:
> John Adair <g1(a)enterpoint.co.uk> writes:

> > A number of parallel port based cables, like our Prog2 cable, will
> > work for Chipscope/Impact tools. USB solutions are not readily

> Is the ChipScope/Impact software interface documented? Is there a way
> I can write a plug-in for my programmer so that it will work with my
> own programmer?

Petter

Are you kidding ?
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Petter Gustad on
Uwe Bonnes <bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> Are you kidding ?

Not actually. I was hoping that Xilinx had specified some of the
interface to allow for 3rd party development of debugging interfaces.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6(a)gustad.com> wrote:
> Uwe Bonnes <bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> > Are you kidding ?

> Not actually. I was hoping that Xilinx had specified some of the
> interface to allow for 3rd party development of debugging interfaces.

I always bug Xilinx on fairs to document the interfaces, but while technical
people at the booth understand the point, they mostly tell that higher
levels in the company will strongly oppose.

So the release of the DLC10 cable clone on the SP601 board came as a
surprise, but it doesn't help with using other cables for Chipscope
communication.

One way for resolution could be that the Xilinx devellopers see the ease of
using the FT2232H and supply a cable with it. As the FT2232H needs no
firmware, other FT2232H cables would work too.

The other way would be to intercept the USB communication with the DLC9/10
(at least on Linux in the libusb level) and translate the DLC9/10 (already
reversed engineered) primitives to primitives for the target cable. Another
project on my list...

Bye

From: Alex Freed on
Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> I always bug Xilinx on fairs to document the interfaces, but while technical
> people at the booth understand the point, they mostly tell that higher
> levels in the company will strongly oppose.

No big surprise here: if they sell a cable worth about $10 in parts for
$250 they think it's good busyness. Doesn't take into account the loss
from bad PR this generates.
In any case there are now compatible Xilinx cable clones that are always
available on e-bay for around $70 or so. In addition my understanding is
that Digilent has a compatibility library now that allows their very
inexpensive USB cable to be used with Xilinx tools. Didn't try it myself
as I have both a genuine Xilinx cable and a clone from China that works
just as well just in case.

-Alex.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Possible memory leak in xst in ISE 11.3
Next: FPGA kit