From: Uwe Bonnes on
Alex Freed <alex_news(a)mirrow.com> wrote:

> No big surprise here: if they sell a cable worth about $10 in parts for
> $250 they think it's good busyness. Doesn't take into account the loss
> from bad PR this generates.
> In any case there are now compatible Xilinx cable clones that are always
> available on e-bay for around $70 or so. In addition my understanding is
> that Digilent has a compatibility library now that allows their very
> inexpensive USB cable to be used with Xilinx tools. Didn't try it myself
> as I have both a genuine Xilinx cable and a clone from China that works
> just as well just in case.

This doesn't help if for some reason (e.g. high speed UBS transfer) you
already have some device that handles USB access and could handle JTAG. To
plug in the DLC(clone) you need another connector ...
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: John Adair on
I will add that our new USB based Prog3 is now working. This cable
will work with Impact and Chipscope. We do have some more tests to do
after which we will release to sell generally with our products.
Expect this to be available in January sometime.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.

From: dlopez on
Thanks everyone for the feedback...I ended up getting the Digilent cable
since it's so cheap. It was news to me that this cable would support
chipscope. It sure is better than 250$!

Diego

---------------------------------------
From: Petter Gustad on
Uwe Bonnes <bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> I always bug Xilinx on fairs to document the interfaces, but while

I would rather want the ability to add a plug-in at the software
level. I can program FPGA's fine with my Ethernet based "programming
cable", but I can't interface to chipscope and signaltap. A documented
USB interface would not be optimal in my case as I would have to make
a some kind of virtual USB device. It would be more optimal to have
some method at the Impact/quartus_pgm level to add a programming
hardware interface.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6(a)gustad.com> wrote:
> Uwe Bonnes <bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> > I always bug Xilinx on fairs to document the interfaces, but while

> I would rather want the ability to add a plug-in at the software
> level. I can program FPGA's fine with my Ethernet based "programming
> cable", but I can't interface to chipscope and signaltap. A documented
> USB interface would not be optimal in my case as I would have to make
> a some kind of virtual USB device. It would be more optimal to have
> some method at the Impact/quartus_pgm level to add a programming
> hardware interface.

Interface was meant here as the software interface, API should have been
better uses instead of interface...
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Possible memory leak in xst in ISE 11.3
Next: FPGA kit