From: HeyBub on
As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied from the
East Anglia climate research center and published on the web.

The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the scientists leading
the global-warming sect.

But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:

"One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code that, if
it generates an error message, continues as if nothing untoward ever
occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out why the output of a
calculation that should always generate a positive number was incorrectly
generating a negative one. A third concluded: 'I feel for this guy. He's
obviously spent years trying to get data from undocumented and completely
messy sources.' "

Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as: "APPLY
ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."

[Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180.shtml

They should have done the whole business in COBOL.

From: e p chandler on
On Nov 25, 9:31 am, "HeyBub" <hey...(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied from the
> East Anglia climate research center and published on the web.
>
> The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the scientists leading
> the global-warming sect.
>
> But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:
>
> "One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code that, if
> it generates an error message, continues as if nothing untoward ever
> occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out why the output of a
> calculation that should always generate a positive number was incorrectly
> generating a negative one. A third concluded: 'I feel for this guy. He's
> obviously spent years trying to get data from undocumented and completely
> messy sources.' "
>
> Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as: "APPLY
> ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."
>
> [Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180...
>
> They should have done the whole business in COBOL.

And in Superman's bizarro universe, the headline reads

"Global Warming Debunked. Climate Database Code Written by California
State Payroll Deparment. Film at 11."

--- e

From: Pete Dashwood on
HeyBub wrote:
> As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied
> from the East Anglia climate research center and published on the web.
>
> The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the scientists
> leading the global-warming sect.
>
> But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:
>
> "One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code
> that, if it generates an error message, continues as if nothing
> untoward ever occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out why
> the output of a calculation that should always generate a positive
> number was incorrectly generating a negative one. A third concluded:
> 'I feel for this guy. He's obviously spent years trying to get data
> from undocumented and completely messy sources.' "
>
> Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as: "APPLY
> ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."
>
> [Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180.shtml
>
> They should have done the whole business in COBOL.

Had they done so, would the planet be any less warm? :-)

(It is a glorious 28 degrees as I write this; Summer is definitely coming in
at last...)

Pete.

From: HeyBub on
Pete Dashwood wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
>> As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied
>> from the East Anglia climate research center and published on the
>> web. The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the scientists
>> leading the global-warming sect.
>>
>> But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:
>>
>> "One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code
>> that, if it generates an error message, continues as if nothing
>> untoward ever occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out why
>> the output of a calculation that should always generate a positive
>> number was incorrectly generating a negative one. A third concluded:
>> 'I feel for this guy. He's obviously spent years trying to get data
>> from undocumented and completely messy sources.' "
>>
>> Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as:
>> "APPLY ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."
>>
>> [Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]
>>
>> http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180.shtml
>>
>> They should have done the whole business in COBOL.
>
> Had they done so, would the planet be any less warm? :-)
>
> (It is a glorious 28 degrees as I write this; Summer is definitely
> coming in at last...)

No, the planet wouldn't be less warm, unless you count the excitability of
the "Global Warming" alarmists.

You may be interested in a report from just this week about how the Kiwi
meteorological crew (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research)
has been fudging, tweaking, manipulating, massaging, adjusting, and
otherwise goosing the data.

After feeding the raw temperature data into the abyss of their computer
programs, a clear warming trend of horrific proportions emerges, encouraging
everyone to move inland.

On the other hand, somebody graphed the raw temperature readings (going back
to 1850 or so) and found NO warming trends.

In other words, raw temperature data for 150 years show no warming (or
cooling) trend. After processing these data through NiWA's magnificent
computer program, we're all gonna die.

http://hot-topic.co.nz/nz-sceptics-lie-about-temp-records-try-to-smear-top-scientist/

From: SkippyPB on
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:03:34 -0600, "HeyBub" <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>Pete Dashwood wrote:
>> HeyBub wrote:
>>> As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied
>>> from the East Anglia climate research center and published on the
>>> web. The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the scientists
>>> leading the global-warming sect.
>>>
>>> But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:
>>>
>>> "One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code
>>> that, if it generates an error message, continues as if nothing
>>> untoward ever occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out why
>>> the output of a calculation that should always generate a positive
>>> number was incorrectly generating a negative one. A third concluded:
>>> 'I feel for this guy. He's obviously spent years trying to get data
>>> from undocumented and completely messy sources.' "
>>>
>>> Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as:
>>> "APPLY ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."
>>>
>>> [Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]
>>>
>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180.shtml
>>>
>>> They should have done the whole business in COBOL.
>>
>> Had they done so, would the planet be any less warm? :-)
>>
>> (It is a glorious 28 degrees as I write this; Summer is definitely
>> coming in at last...)
>>

>No, the planet wouldn't be less warm, unless you count the excitability of
>the "Global Warming" alarmists.
>

>You may be interested in a report from just this week about how the Kiwi
>meteorological crew (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research)
>has been fudging, tweaking, manipulating, massaging, adjusting, and
>otherwise goosing the data.
>
>After feeding the raw temperature data into the abyss of their computer
>programs, a clear warming trend of horrific proportions emerges, encouraging
>everyone to move inland.
>
>On the other hand, somebody graphed the raw temperature readings (going back
>to 1850 or so) and found NO warming trends.
>
>In other words, raw temperature data for 150 years show no warming (or
>cooling) trend. After processing these data through NiWA's magnificent
>computer program, we're all gonna die.
>
>http://hot-topic.co.nz/nz-sceptics-lie-about-temp-records-try-to-smear-top-scientist/

It is incredulous people like you that keep the term "Clean Coal" in
our lexicon.

Regards,
--
////