From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:19:14 -0400, Clark F Morris
<cfmpublic(a)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>That assumes that altitude differences are the only differences. I
>live 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the Bay of Fundy on the other side of
>a range of 500 foot high hills at a higher elevation and have higher
>temperatures most of the year than those at a lower altitude near the
>coast. I would want to know a lot more about the two locations (and
>why the measuring point was moved) before I have confidence that an
>altitude correction is the only one that is needed.

San Francisco and Oakland have very different climates.

- James Madison
From: Richard on
On Dec 8, 5:19 am, Clark F Morris <cfmpub...(a)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:47:30 -0800 (PST), Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz>
> wrote:
>

> >On Dec 7, 12:04 pm, Clark F Morris <cfmpub...(a)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >> On the other hand, is the temperature difference between the two sites
> >> a constant?  If not is the variation taken into account by those who
> >> did the adjustment?  Indeed is there a long enough overlap period
> >> where observations were available from both sites to validate the
> >> adjustment factor used?
>
> >The temperature difference between the two sites is the result of the
> >adiabatic lapse. In other words what is specified by Boyles Law when
> >there are changes in pressure due to change in altitude.
>
> >As the altitude difference between these two sites is fixed and
> >relatively small then the difference in altitude pressure will not
> >vary to any significant degree, both sites will have the same base
> >atmospheric pressure (measured at sea level).
>
> That assumes that altitude differences are the only differences.  I
> live 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the Bay of Fundy on the other side of
> a range of 500 foot high hills at a higher elevation and have higher
> temperatures most of the year than those at a lower altitude near the
> coast.  I would want to know a lot more about the two locations (and
> why the measuring point was moved) before I have confidence that an
> altitude correction is the only one that is needed.

You could read the link that HeyBub supplied:

http://hot-topic.co.nz/nz-sceptics-lie-about-temp-records-try-to-smear-top-scientist/

From: Clark F Morris on
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:02:07 -0800 (PST), Richard <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz>
wrote:

>On Dec 8, 5:19�am, Clark F Morris <cfmpub...(a)ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:47:30 -0800 (PST), Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz>
>> wrote:

>> >The temperature difference between the two sites is the result of the
>> >adiabatic lapse. In other words what is specified by Boyles Law when
>> >there are changes in pressure due to change in altitude.
>>
>> >As the altitude difference between these two sites is fixed and
>> >relatively small then the difference in altitude pressure will not
>> >vary to any significant degree, both sites will have the same base
>> >atmospheric pressure (measured at sea level).
>>
>> That assumes that altitude differences are the only differences. �I
>> live 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the Bay of Fundy on the other side of
>> a range of 500 foot high hills at a higher elevation and have higher
>> temperatures most of the year than those at a lower altitude near the
>> coast. �I would want to know a lot more about the two locations (and
>> why the measuring point was moved) before I have confidence that an
>> altitude correction is the only one that is needed.
>
>You could read the link that HeyBub supplied:
>
>http://hot-topic.co.nz/nz-sceptics-lie-about-temp-records-try-to-smear-top-scientist/

The graphs look like the adjustment is OK in this case although there
is some difference in the variability. I don't claim to be a climate
expert. It will be interesting to follow the responses to the Wall
Street Journal article that I posted a link to.

From: HeyBub on
Pete Dashwood wrote:

> A clear and simple explanation.
>
> Thanks Richard.

If adiabatic pressure were the only variable between the two locations,
there might be some accuracy in the adjustment. But that's not the only
difference. It's not like they put the temperature guage on the top of a
twenty story building and adjusted for 200 feet - they changed the location
of the instrument cluster. Much more than elevation could be involved:
Relative humidity, average wind speed, surrounding area heat sinks or
radiation proclivity, reflected sunlight, blah-blah-blah.

They moved the station.

From: Richard on
On Dec 9, 9:31 am, "HeyBub" <hey...(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>
> > A clear and simple explanation.
>
> > Thanks Richard.
>
> If adiabatic pressure were the only variable between the two locations,
> there might be some accuracy in the adjustment. But that's not the only
> difference. It's not like they put the temperature guage on the top of a
> twenty story building and adjusted for 200 feet - they changed the location
> of the instrument cluster.

They moved the station up the hill.

The clueless skeptics attempted to use the raw figures
_with_no_adjustment_at_all_ which is clearly wrong. Even you finally
understand that adjustment is needed for altitude.

> Much more than elevation could be involved:
> Relative humidity, average wind speed, surrounding area heat sinks or
> radiation proclivity, reflected sunlight, blah-blah-blah.

As all those will change from time to time, day to day and season to
season for _ONE_ location then what point are you trying to make ?
Stations are deliberately positioned to reduce all those effects, in
fact it was probably because the city was growing in the 1920s with
reclamation and new buildings that decided them to move it to a place
where the effects would not increase.

The data was put together as _averages_. On average all those will
balance out.

The airport station, which is just 5 km away and at about sea level,
was compared to the readings for several decades from the 1950s on and
found to have a consistent difference attributable to the altitude.

These locations are all in the _same_ weather patterns.

Just because you can think of something does not mean that it has not
already been thought of and dealt with decades ago.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: IBM COBOL Migration to Windows COBOL
Next: My COBDATA problem