From: Anonymous on
In article <4be1258d-34d7-46d5-aed9-39ae0b924b64(a)u25g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Richard <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>Just because you can think of something does not mean that it has not
>already been thought of and dealt with decades ago.

What... you mean that because land can be used agriculturally in a linear
fashion and people reproduce in a geometric one we're all due to starve
by... sometime around the beginning of the 19th or 20th centuries?

DD

From: Richard on
On Dec 9, 12:02 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <4be1258d-34d7-46d5-aed9-39ae0b924...(a)u25g2000prh.googlegroups..com>,
>
> Richard  <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >Just because you can think of something does not mean that it has not
> >already been thought of and dealt with decades ago.
>
> What... you mean that because land can be used agriculturally in a linear
> fashion and people reproduce in a geometric one we're all due to starve
> by... sometime around the beginning of the 19th or 20th centuries?

I am sure that 'people reproducing in a geometric fashion' is illegal
in many states of the US.

From: Pete Dashwood on
HeyBub wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>>
>> A clear and simple explanation.
>>
>> Thanks Richard.
>>>

> If adiabatic pressure were the only variable between the two
> locations, there might be some accuracy in the adjustment. But that's
> not the only difference. It's not like they put the temperature guage
> on the top of a twenty story building and adjusted for 200 feet -
> they changed the location of the instrument cluster. Much more than
> elevation could be involved: Relative humidity, average wind speed,
> surrounding area heat sinks or radiation proclivity, reflected
> sunlight, blah-blah-blah.
> They moved the station.

Yes, they did. But they moved it to the top of a hill almost overlooking the
old site. So your analogy of the building and the temperature gauge is
pretty much what they did. I think you have to see the location, Jerry. It's
a bit like moving something from the bottom end of a cable car ride to the
top of it.

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Richard wrote:
> On Dec 9, 12:02 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
>> <4be1258d-34d7-46d5-aed9-39ae0b924...(a)u25g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Just because you can think of something does not mean that it has
>>> not already been thought of and dealt with decades ago.
>>
>> What... you mean that because land can be used agriculturally in a
>> linear fashion and people reproduce in a geometric one we're all due
>> to starve
>> by... sometime around the beginning of the 19th or 20th centuries?
>
> I am sure that 'people reproducing in a geometric fashion' is illegal
> in many states of the US.

LOL!

Why does that conjure images of round pegs and square holes?

I have resisted the temptation to relate the story about the squaw on the
hippopotamus... :-)

Pete.

From: Anonymous on
In article <a6221da3-ff33-4e81-9991-d201ddbcfb5b(a)g1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
Richard <riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>On Dec 9, 12:02?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
><4be1258d-34d7-46d5-aed9-39ae0b924...(a)u25g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Richard ?<rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >Just because you can think of something does not mean that it has not
>> >already been thought of and dealt with decades ago.
>>
>> What... you mean that because land can be used agriculturally in a linear
>> fashion and people reproduce in a geometric one we're all due to starve
>> by... sometime around the beginning of the 19th or 20th centuries?
>
>I am sure that 'people reproducing in a geometric fashion' is illegal
>in many states of the US.

Many states in the US are proud of their outlaws... how could any
civilised society take honor from criminal status?

DD

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: IBM COBOL Migration to Windows COBOL
Next: My COBDATA problem