From: Richard on
On Nov 27, 4:03 am, "HeyBub" <hey...(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
> > HeyBub wrote:
> >> As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied
> >> from the East Anglia climate research center and published on the
> >> web. The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the scientists
> >> leading the global-warming sect.
>
> >> But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:
>
> >> "One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code
> >> that, if it generates an error message, continues as if nothing
> >> untoward ever occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out why
> >> the output of a calculation that should always generate a positive
> >> number was incorrectly generating a negative one. A third concluded:
> >> 'I feel for this guy. He's obviously spent years trying to get data
> >> from undocumented and completely messy sources.' "
>
> >> Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as:
> >> "APPLY ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."
>
> >> [Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]
>
> >>http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180....
>
> >> They should have done the whole business in COBOL.
>
> > Had they done so, would the planet be any less warm? :-)
>
> > (It is a glorious 28 degrees as I write this; Summer is definitely
> > coming in at last...)
>
> No, the planet wouldn't be less warm, unless you count the excitability of
> the "Global Warming" alarmists.
>
> You may be interested in a report from just this week about how the Kiwi
> meteorological crew (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research)
> has been fudging, tweaking, manipulating, massaging, adjusting, and
> otherwise goosing the data.
>
> After feeding the raw temperature data into the abyss of their computer
> programs, a clear warming trend of horrific proportions emerges, encouraging
> everyone to move inland.
>
> On the other hand, somebody graphed the raw temperature readings (going back
> to 1850 or so) and found NO warming trends.
>
> In other words, raw temperature data for 150 years show no warming (or
> cooling) trend. After processing these data through NiWA's magnificent
> computer program, we're all gonna die.
>
> http://hot-topic.co.nz/nz-sceptics-lie-about-temp-records-try-to-smea...

Did you actually read that article ? or even the title ?

From: HeyBub on
SkippyPB wrote:

> It is incredulous people like you that keep the term "Clean Coal" in
> our lexicon.
>
> Regards,

Huh? I never said anything about coal, clean or otherwise.

Still, coal is cheap, abundant, and using it is a lot cleaner than it was
during the industrial revolution era in England. Over half the electricity
generated in the U.S. comes from coal and the benefits from so doing far
outweigh any downside.

And, as long as we're casting aspersions, it's the twits from places like
NiWA who think we can run this planet off of sunbeams. If you doubt their
Luddite tendencies, why is it we've NEVER heard alternative arguments
regarding Global Warming (tm)?

* Global Warming is good (more people die from cold than heat, longer
growing seasons, etc.)
* No reference to treating the symptom rather than the cause (i.e., dumping
SO2 into the atmosphere to cool it).

But, as it turns out, there IS NO global warming - or at least not enough to
be measurable - so the exercise is moot.

From: Pete Dashwood on
HeyBub wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>> HeyBub wrote:
>>> As you may know, thousands of sooper-secret documents were copied
>>> from the East Anglia climate research center and published on the
>>> web. The documents demonstrate the perfidy and hubris of the
>>> scientists leading the global-warming sect.
>>>
>>> But that's only part of the story behind climate data being fudged:
>>>
>>> "One programmer highlighted the error of relying on computer code
>>> that, if it generates an error message, continues as if nothing
>>> untoward ever occurred. Another debugged the code by pointing out
>>> why the output of a calculation that should always generate a
>>> positive number was incorrectly generating a negative one. A third
>>> concluded: 'I feel for this guy. He's obviously spent years trying
>>> to get data from undocumented and completely messy sources.' "
>>>
>>> Comments inserted into the source code include such wowsers as:
>>> "APPLY ARTIFICIAL CORRECTION."
>>>
>>> [Pardon the all-caps - the original code is in FORTRAN]
>>>
>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/24/taking_liberties/entry5761180.shtml
>>>
>>> They should have done the whole business in COBOL.
>>
>> Had they done so, would the planet be any less warm? :-)
>>
>> (It is a glorious 28 degrees as I write this; Summer is definitely
>> coming in at last...)
>>

> No, the planet wouldn't be less warm, unless you count the
> excitability of the "Global Warming" alarmists.
>

> You may be interested in a report from just this week about how the
> Kiwi meteorological crew (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric
> Research) has been fudging, tweaking, manipulating, massaging,
> adjusting, and otherwise goosing the data.

Yeah, that sounds like us; people here are pretty sensitive to Environmental
issues. I can imagine some of our Scientists getting a bit carried away...

Personally, I'm on the fence with Global Warming. I enjoy the sunshine...but
I realise it is dangerous now. When I was a kid we ran around semi or fully
naked most of the Sumer and looked like Maoris at the end of it. Now our
kids can't do that and there are intensive campaigns to ensure that everyone
uses suitable sunblock and covers up...

I don't know whether we are causing Global Warming or not, but I do know we
have knocked a hole in the ozone layer that used to protect us.

At the moment there are some huge ice floes heading our way from Antarctica
and this is a worry. Not because they represent a danger, (maybe to small
boats... but people are already chartering vessels to go and
sightsee...),but because they are SO huge as to be exceptional and the worry
is that the Antartic ice shelf may be getting seriously destroyed just like
its Northern counterpart...

> After feeding the raw temperature data into the abyss of their
> computer programs, a clear warming trend of horrific proportions
> emerges, encouraging everyone to move inland.

Not me. I love the coast. I don't know any of my neighbours who are
considering moving either, so perhaps "everyone" is not persuaded?

> On the other hand, somebody graphed the raw temperature readings
> (going back to 1850 or so) and found NO warming trends.

Maybe they get a more complete picture nowadays?

> In other words, raw temperature data for 150 years show no warming (or
> cooling) trend. After processing these data through NiWA's magnificent
> computer program, we're all gonna die.

I shouldn't think it will affect Texas, Jerry... :-)

I read the link you posted and I also read the response ferom NiWA (
http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publications/news/all/niwa-confirms-temperature-rise)

I was born and grew up in Wellington (until age 13) and am very familiar
with the difference between Thorndon (right at the waterside) and Kelburn
(on an exposed hill above the city and accessible by a delightful cable car
which we thoroughly enjoyed riding when kids.) NiWA claim that there is a
difference of .8C between the two sites (I thought it would be more;
Wellington, like Chicago, is famous as a "windy city" and Kelburn is very
exposed...) NiWa adjusted this and to me, it seems like a fair adjustment.

I don't think we're any more immune from people havng a personal agenda than
anywhere else in the world, but this seems to be a storm in a teacup to me.
I don't need NiWA to tell me things are warming up; all I have to do is open
a window...

It's 27 degrees and glorious... hang on a minute... it's early Summer
(usually peaks around Jan-Feb)... Gee, I guess it's normal....:-)

If the program was written here then I respect it. Certainly the data may
have been fudged but I doubt that the code has been.

Kiwis are pretty serious about technology, as well as the environment.
Knowledge and skill are a rising export industry.

I reckon it's time for a caipirinho... :-)

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Nov 27, 3:44 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> HeyBub wrote:
> > Pete Dashwood wrote:

> >> Had they done so, would the planet be any less warm? :-)
>
> >> (It is a glorious 28 degrees as I write this; Summer is definitely
> >> coming in at last...)
>
> > No, the planet wouldn't be less warm, unless you count the
> > excitability of the "Global Warming" alarmists.
>
> > You may be interested in a report from just this week about how the
> > Kiwi meteorological crew (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric
> > Research) has been fudging, tweaking, manipulating, massaging,
> > adjusting, and otherwise goosing the data.
>
> Yeah, that sounds like us; people here are pretty sensitive to Environmental
> issues. I can imagine some of our Scientists getting a bit carried away....
>
> Personally, I'm on the fence with Global Warming. I enjoy the sunshine...but
> I realise it is dangerous now. When I was a kid we ran around semi or fully
> naked most of the Sumer and looked like Maoris at the end of it. Now our
> kids can't do that and there are intensive campaigns to ensure that everyone
> uses suitable sunblock and covers up...
>
> I don't know whether we are causing Global Warming or not, but I do know we
> have knocked a hole in the ozone layer that used to protect us.
>
> At the moment there are some huge ice floes heading our way from Antarctica
> and this is a worry. Not because they represent a danger, (maybe to small
> boats... but people are already chartering vessels to go and
> sightsee...),but because they are SO huge as to be exceptional and the worry
> is that the Antartic ice shelf may be getting seriously destroyed just like
> its Northern counterpart...
>

> > After feeding the raw temperature data into the abyss of their
> > computer programs, a clear warming trend of horrific proportions
> > emerges, encouraging everyone to move inland.
>
> Not me.  I love the coast. I don't know any of my neighbours who are
> considering moving either, so perhaps "everyone" is not persuaded?
>
> > On the other hand, somebody graphed the raw temperature readings
> > (going back to 1850 or so) and found NO warming trends.
>
> Maybe they get a more complete picture nowadays?
>
> > In other words, raw temperature data for 150 years show no warming (or
> > cooling) trend. After processing these data through NiWA's magnificent
> > computer program, we're all gonna die.
>
> I shouldn't think it will affect Texas, Jerry... :-)

No, but it will affect Florida, Louisiana and several others.

> I read the link you posted and I also read the response ferom NiWA (http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publications/news/all/niwa-confirms-te...)
>
> I was born and grew up in Wellington (until age 13) and am very familiar
> with the difference between Thorndon (right at the waterside) and Kelburn
> (on an exposed hill above the city and accessible by a delightful cable car
> which we thoroughly enjoyed riding when kids.) NiWA claim that there is a
> difference of .8C between the two sites (I thought it would be more;
> Wellington, like Chicago, is famous as a "windy city" and Kelburn is very
> exposed...) NiWa adjusted this and to me, it seems like a fair adjustment..

It is nothing to do with whether it is more or less 'warmer' or
'windier' but simply that the difference in height causes an adiabatic
difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_lapse_rate

Those that 'graphed the raw rates' and did not take into account the
change of location were clueless about how weather measurements work,
picked only readings (in this case unadjusted raw ones) which
supported their manifesto and ignore everything which does not support
that.

> I don't think we're any more immune from people havng a personal agenda than
> anywhere else in the world, but this seems to be a storm in a teacup to me.
> I don't need NiWA to tell me things are warming up; all I have to do is open
> a window...
>
> It's 27 degrees and glorious... hang on a minute... it's early Summer
> (usually peaks around Jan-Feb)... Gee, I guess it's normal....:-)

'Global Warming' is not just the temperatures get slightly warmer but
that there is more energy in the weather systems. For example the
recent floods in England exceed all previous records in that area.

Similarly in NZ we have been getting "100 year floods" far more
frequently.

> If the program was written here then I respect it.  Certainly the data may
> have been fudged but I doubt that the code has been.

The data was not 'fudged' the adjustments are required by the change
of location, specifically height above sea level.

From: HeyBub on
Pete Dashwood wrote:

>> In other words, raw temperature data for 150 years show no warming
>> (or cooling) trend. After processing these data through NiWA's
>> magnificent computer program, we're all gonna die.
>
> I shouldn't think it will affect Texas, Jerry... :-)
>
> I read the link you posted and I also read the response ferom NiWA (
> http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publications/news/all/niwa-confirms-temperature-rise)

Giggle. The first sentence of their rebuttal reads: "NIWA's analysis of
measured temperatures uses internationally accepted techniques..."

They just don't understand. The 'internationally accepted techniques'
include fraud, repression, and other modalities that are simply unacceptable
in a civilized society, much less a scientific one.

The ONLY example they gave in their rebuttal is a correction to temperature
data for ONE station as it was moved inland (and upland) to account for
height (0.8�C). Why didn't they simply discontinue the use of the old
station and start a new data point for the new station? Because that
wouldn't give them an opportunity to add a 'fudge factor' to the new
readings, perhaps?

Conversely, there are temperature reading stations in the U.S. there were
originally in the middle of a cornfield. Now the station is in the middle of
a shopping center parking lot and surrounded, for miles in every direction,
by concrete and asphalt. Common sense would tell you that the temperature
readings should be fudged DOWNWARD to account for the urban heat-reservoir.
Is this the case? What do you think?

> NiWa adjusted this and to me, it seems like a fair adjustment.

"Adjusting" data is almost NEVER fair. The data are what they are.

> I don't think we're any more immune from people havng a personal
> agenda than anywhere else in the world, but this seems to be a storm
> in a teacup to me. I don't need NiWA to tell me things are warming
> up; all I have to do is open a window...

It's not. 2009 is shaping up to be the coldest year since 1995.

> If the program was written here then I respect it. Certainly the
> data may have been fudged but I doubt that the code has been.

Agreed. Some think it was the data that were massaged - no one has commented
on the code. The programs used for climate predition at East Anglia,
however, are seemingly a mess and cannot be deciphered. Apparently as long
as the programs in East Anglia generated the expected graphs they were
deemed to be working okay.