From: MJMIII on
"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Mike,
>
> I disagree with what you have been told. This issue is due to the Dell
> MediaDirect 2 HPA. You can simply clone the old HD to a new HD without
> experiencing truncation be zeroing LBA-3 on the old HD before you start.
> Or by replacing the Dell MBR with a Standard MBR.
>
> http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/hpa-issues.htm
>
> http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm
>
> You don't have to zero LBA-3 on the old HD if you plan to restore an OS
> image to the new HD. But you must not choose to "restore the MBR" when you
> restore the image to the new HD. You definitely don't want the Dell MBR on
> the new HD.

I followed the Seagate tech's instruction and the drive still won't restore
to 250GB. When I did the restore I wondered about the MBR. I guess I
should've asked here first. After checking your links I guess Daddy was
right. This is a common thread with Dell. Now that I know what to do I
need to find a way to restore full drive capacity since the Seagate Tool
doesn't work.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Brian K on
If anyone has already cloned the old HD and has a truncated new HD, do
this....

Download Roadkil's Sector Editor.

http://www.roadkil.net/diskutils.html

Unzip the file and copy sectedit.exe to a folder in your HD.

Double click sectedit.exe. In the Select Disk box choose Physical 0 and
click Open. (DON'T choose any of the drive letters). Use the arrows at the
bottom right to find LBA-3. It should take 3 clicks. Your sector may look
slightly different to the image below but if you find the "[XLDR]" string in
the lower right, that's a good clue that you are looking at the right
sector.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/bjkdegree/lba-3_dan.gif

Click Edit, Zero Data. Now you should see all zeroes. Click File, Save
Sector. Close Roadkil. Double click sectedit.exe again, repeat the above
choices and confirm that LBA-3 has been zeroed.

There are several tools that can be used to unhide the HPA and return a hard
disk to its full capacity. These include Hitachi Feature Tool, Seagate
SeaTools, Magic Boot Disk (MHDD), and HDAT2, among others. I think the
easiest to use is Seagate SeaTools for DOS.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

Burn the ISO with ImgBurn. Then...

boot from the CD
select your HD
Advanced features
Set Capacity to Max Native
Exit

Now you can boot to Windows and you should have the full capacity of your
HD. I should mention that sometimes the first tool doesn't work. Then you
need to try others.

From: Brian K on
Mike,

I didn't see you latest post before my recent posting. I helped a friend
recently and all tools failed except for this variation of using HDAT2. It
is poorly written but I eventually worked out what it meant. I wish I had
written better instructions at the time but the.

"Q: Host Protected Area (HPA) vs. 28/48-bit LBA mode

A: There is a problem of incompatibility on some hard drives (e.g. Seagate)
when you are using 48-bit command for removing Host Protected Area (HPA)
created with 28-bit command.
48-bit command cannot remove HPA created with 28-bit command and vice-versa.
Following solution is for disk supports 48-bit LBA mode only and if you have
HPA greater than 127 GB.
Solution:

1. Power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
2. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Change 'LBA mode' from
48 to 28-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for 28-bit
LBA mode (127 GB).
3. Power-off PC (Important !), power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
4. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Leave the selected
48-bit 'LBA mode' Change 'LBA mode' from 28 to 48-bit LBA mode and press 'S'
key to set maximal address for 48-bit LBA mode.
5. After restart you should get the full (native) capacity of hard drive."

These are my brief notes, written after the procedure....
You have to choose 28 bit, press S then Enter and restart. Next time 48 was
present and S didn't work because the HPA was gone. I had already tried WD,
Seagate, Hitachi. Didn't work. HD was Seagate SATA 60 GB.

From: MJMIII on
I just finished reading that page and have already downloaded Sector Editor.
As I said, Sea Tools errors out when I tried to set max size. Here's a
stupid question. I was originally doing this in the laptop. Does it make a
difference if I installed the drive in my desktop as an extra drive and
booted to the Seagate disk?

From: MJMIII on
Playing with Sea Tools I found if you press F5 when booting you get
individual settings you can change and one of them is changing from 48 to
28. Anyhow, I just burned HDAT2 and I'm going to try that. Be back in a
few.

--

> Mike,
>
> I didn't see you latest post before my recent posting. I helped a friend
> recently and all tools failed except for this variation of using HDAT2. It
> is poorly written but I eventually worked out what it meant. I wish I had
> written better instructions at the time but the.
>

> "Q: Host Protected Area (HPA) vs. 28/48-bit LBA mode
>
> A: There is a problem of incompatibility on some hard drives (e.g.
> Seagate) when you are using 48-bit command for removing Host Protected
> Area (HPA) created with 28-bit command.
> 48-bit command cannot remove HPA created with 28-bit command and
> vice-versa. Following solution is for disk supports 48-bit LBA mode only
> and if you have HPA greater than 127 GB.
> Solution:
>
> 1. Power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
> 2. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Change 'LBA mode'
> from 48 to 28-bit LBA mode and press 'S' key to set maximal address for
> 28-bit LBA mode (127 GB).
> 3. Power-off PC (Important !), power-on PC, boot and start HDAT2.
> 4. In 'SET MAX (HPA) Menu' select 'Set Max Address'. Leave the selected
> 48-bit 'LBA mode' Change 'LBA mode' from 28 to 48-bit LBA mode and press
> 'S' key to set maximal address for 48-bit LBA mode.
> 5. After restart you should get the full (native) capacity of hard drive."
>

> These are my brief notes, written after the procedure....
> You have to choose 28 bit, press S then Enter and restart. Next time 48
> was present and S didn't work because the HPA was gone. I had already
> tried WD, Seagate, Hitachi. Didn't work. HD was Seagate SATA 60 GB.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: RAM Inefficiency
Next: Any comments on HP vs. Inspiron