From: MJMIII on
"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Daddy,
>
> You are being a bit hard on Mike. The Dell HPA issue isn't widely known
> and Seagate's advice was bad.

It's cool, Brian. Daddy is a sarcastic s.o.b. like me. I can take it as
well as dish it out.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: MJMIII on
> I'm sure this one will succeed.

It worked perfectly. Changing the MBR did the trick.
I am again in your debt for guiding me through the unknown.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Jean Rosenfeld on
Yirg.kenya:
Unless you have Media direct (as far as I know only laptops, with the
mediadirect button), this thread is not aplicable to your situation.
On my XPS desktop, roadkill sector editor shows the LBA-3 sector to be all
zeroes anyway.

"yirg.kenya" <yirg.kenya(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 30, 7:11 am, "MJMIII" <bal...(a)castaway.net> wrote:
> For anyone using Acronis or any other disk imaging software to clone a
> smaller hard drive to a larger drive, I learned some information the hard
> way. I created an Acronis image of my E1705 60GB drive and restored it to
> new 250GB drive. The restore went without a hitch including the Dell
> Restore Partition, I thought, until I checked drive properties. The new
> disk showed as being a 60GB disk. No matter what I tried or what program I
> used, it only showed 60. I downloaded Seagate's tools and tried to
> manually
> reset the drive size, but it failed.
>
> I then called Seagate support and what he found out surprised me. When
> cloning a Dell or any manufacturer's OEM drive with a restore partition
> you
> need to do it Sector-By-Sector due to hidden files on the drive. To fix
> the
> new drive you have to install it in another laptop/desktop, boot to the
> Seagate tools disk (preferably DOS), then write zero's to the drive. That
> will restore it to size. Then you can restore your Sector-By-Sector image.
>
> I hope this helps someone who's experienced this same nightmare.
>
> --
>
> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

I had no problems cloning my 160GB drive to a 1TB drive using Acronis'
proportional mode. I did not use sector-to-sector copy. It shows as
902.3GB no matter what program I use. (I just hope that's real gb,
i.e. (902.03 * (1024 * 1024 * 1024)) and not marketing gb (as they use
for the size these days!) of (902.3 * (1000 * 1000 * 1000))

What I do want to do is to re-size the who hidden partitions. Their
proportional increase in size is worthless for them. Who's going to be
adding to them? But still, that amount newly wasted space is trivial.

My questions re cloning were discussed in the misnamed (due to me)
thread: ghosting my original dell drive

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: RAM Inefficiency