From: whisky-dave on

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Miles Bader wrote:
>>> I was wondering how many responses I'd read before someone recognized
>>> our infamous friend.
>>
>> Using one of his standard trolling techniques too. He may be an idiot
>> when it comes to photography, but he's actually pretty skillful at
>> trolling...
>
> Or a handful of posters are unskilled at avoiding the bait.....
> cough, splutter.......

Perhaps he is just a master-baiter and that's all he's good at ;-)

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:26:05 -0500, Curiouser and Curiouser
<questioning(a)anyisp.net> wrote in
<uedce5pudtfnk3m5ql001m1jh7n3uvikgk(a)4ax.com>:

>I sometimes wonder why people feel the need to make authoritative comments
>on equipment they've never used, never touched, and never even considered
>as part of their camera gear.
>
>There have been outlandish claims being made. Mostly by dSLR proponents
>over what can and cannot be done with the myriad P&S cameras available for
>the last decade. Yet, when pressed for clarity, you find out they've never
>even been near the cameras they are commenting on so strongly, assuredly,
>and adamantly with their self-appointed authoritative and seemingly (to
>themselves) concrete stance. They will loudly and incessantly claim that
>some camera does not have a feature, when in fact a large range of cameras,
>sometimes all of those styles of cameras do indeed have that feature or
>capability. They would instantly know this if they would only go out and
>test it for themselves with real cameras. But no, to them they have
>imagined something about some equipment that they've never touched which is
>nothing but a total fabrication in their own minds. Believing their
>imaginations as if it is some kind of fact. Like any psychotic religious
>zealot would.
>
>What causes them to do this? I've never commented on nor given advice about
>anything in life other than that with which I have had first-hand knowledge
>and experience of my own in that field. If I haven't personally tested
>something for myself, then I am in no position to make comments about it.
>Even reading about something doesn't mean what I am reading is true
>representation of whatever might be in question. I MUST test things for
>myself before I feel I can comment on anything with any sense of authority
>whatsoever. I also never strongly rely on some "credible"(?) 3rd-party's
>review of photography equipment. I learned long ago after having purchased
>equipment that even those well-meaning reviewers failed to understand how
>to use a camera, a feature of that camera, or other equipment properly. Or
>their simplified testing methods to begin with had huge faults in them.
>(GIGO) Which I only discovered later when my findings didn't match their
>findings, and I started to wonder why. Their testing methods were to blame.

Amen!

>So what causes this need for people to pretend to be authorities on things
>that they have no real knowledge about?
>
>Are they just psychotic trolls? And I'm not using the term "psychotic"
>pejoratively. I believe they really are psychotic if they can so adamantly
>believe what they say, when in fact, reality and genuine experience proves
>them out to be in complete error. If so, if that's all they are, psychotic
>trolls, they seem to be wall-to-wall in these newsgroups. Far more in
>abundance than those who have genuine experience and knowledge about the
>subjects at hand.

I think it's more a matter of feeling threatened and desperately needing
to justify their choices.

They think great gear makes them great photographers, when the reality
is that great photographers make great images with even modest gear.

You'll never see real pros bragging about their gear.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:03:04 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
<tkkce5tlau0cr750vcbvpdu6thl5d58de7(a)4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:26:05 -0500, Curiouser and Curiouser
><questioning(a)anyisp.net> wrote:
>
>>I sometimes wonder why people feel the need to make authoritative comments
>>on equipment they've never used, never touched, and never even considered
>>as part of their camera gear.
>
>I'd reply, but first I'd have to care. I don't. Not about dslr vs
>p&s, not about Canon vs Nikon, not about film vs digital, and not
>about Sigma vs whatever.
>
>I have a camera that I like. I have had days where I've spent hours
>taking photographs, come home with 400 or so images, and not kept one
>of them. I've never felt it was the camera's fault.

Now if only you actually lived by that prescription... ;)

From: nospam on
In article <4ubee5p6tpcomi5jugafi34g4gh3c2hrge(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> I think it's more a matter of feeling threatened and desperately needing
> to justify their choices.

speaking about yourself?

> They think great gear makes them great photographers, when the reality
> is that great photographers make great images with even modest gear.

nobody said otherwise. so why chastise those who choose a dslr?

> You'll never see real pros bragging about their gear.

then you aren't a pro, real or otherwise, since that's exactly what
you're doing.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 02:19:18 -0400, tony cooper
<9r3de5t21s3uvu7ej7jh3hasqbf7h8e9q0(a)4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:18:05 -0500, Curiouser and Curiouser
><questioning(a)anyisp.net> wrote:

>It seems our P&S (excuse me, John, "compact zuperzooms") adherents are
>shy about displaying their creations. Probably just a humanitarian
>gesture on their part because they don't want to blow us away.

Photo websites and contests are in fact full of images from compact
digital cameras, ranging from bad to good, just like images from dSLR
cameras.