From: nospam on
In article <hc7jc2$ae7$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, D. Peter Maus
<DPeterMaus(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I did a shoot in July for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation,
> where one of the 'official' photographers was shooting a P&S.

why the quotes? was he hired to do it, or was he someone on staff that
happened to volunteer?

> My brother shot a wedding with a Fuji P&S, leaving his 35mm SLR
> in the bag.

was he actually the official photographer or just a friend or relative
helping out? some couples can't afford a good wedding photographer.

> It doesn't happen often. But it does happen.

i'm sure it happens, but the numbers are *very* few.
From: D. Peter Maus on
On 10/27/09 15:06 , nospam wrote:
> In article<hc7jc2$ae7$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, D. Peter Maus
> <DPeterMaus(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> I did a shoot in July for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation,
>> where one of the 'official' photographers was shooting a P&S.
>
> why the quotes? was he hired to do it, or was he someone on staff that
> happened to volunteer?

Like all of us, he was hired to do it. But it was a pro bono job.

>> My brother shot a wedding with a Fuji P&S, leaving his 35mm SLR
>> in the bag.
>
> was he actually the official photographer or just a friend or relative
> helping out? some couples can't afford a good wedding photographer.

He was the official photographer. Charged them mid 5 figures
for it, too.

From: nospam on
In article <ockee5p5l2fc3t2kradvl67nb9c08f973e(a)4ax.com>, Curiouser and
Curiouser <questioning(a)anyisp.net> wrote:

> I'm using that as an example of how even a
> low-resolution photograph of a worthwhile subject, if rejected, can cause
> ignorant stock agency policy-makers like the ones mention to lose a
> fortune.

photos like that go to news agencies and/or law enforcement, *not*
stock agencies.
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:23:22 -0500, Curiouser and Curiouser
<questioning(a)anyisp.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:08:16 -0400, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:46:24 -0700, John Navas
>><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 02:19:18 -0400, tony cooper
>>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in

>>>Photo websites and contests are in fact full of images from compact
>>>digital cameras, ranging from bad to good, just like images from dSLR
>>>cameras.
>>
>>I'm sure they are. However, I clearly stated that I was commenting
>>about the Shoot-In where critical comments are often made about what
>>is uploaded.
>>
>>The P&S shooter can upload to Flickr "critique forums", and that sort
>>of "contest" venue, where the standard critique comment is "Great
>>shot!". A really bad, out-of-focus, badly composed, over-processed
>>shot earns a "Nice try!".
>>
>>A great shot can be taken with a P&S camera. However, serious
>>photographers who get more than the accidental once-in-a-blue-moon
>>great shots aren't using P&Ss.
>
>I'm a well accomplished professional.

No one here believes that. If you want to cite an exception to my
statement, provide a reference to a person who really is a
professional photographer.

You can *say* you are anyone you want, but that doesn't mean we
believe you.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:44:38 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:08:16 -0400, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
><asgee5te8j9eb6n94ru01i3tshqujgbh16(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:46:24 -0700, John Navas
>><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>Photo websites and contests are in fact full of images from compact
>>>digital cameras, ranging from bad to good, just like images from dSLR
>>>cameras.
>>
>>I'm sure they are. However, I clearly stated that I was commenting
>>about the Shoot-In where critical comments are often made about what
>>is uploaded.
>
>I guess the key word there is "critical", and I think it telling you're
>limiting yourself to a single forum to make a global pejorative comment.

Yes, I am limiting myself to a single forum. Never claimed otherwise.

The people that participate in this newsgroup, and the related
newsgroups, who continue to bleat about the marvelous qualities of P&S
cameras never seem to enter photographs in the Shoot-In for review by
the people of this group.

>>The P&S shooter can upload to Flickr "critique forums", and that sort
>>of "contest" venue, where the standard critique comment is "Great
>>shot!". A really bad, out-of-focus, badly composed, over-processed
>>shot earns a "Nice try!".
>
>That's not representative either, of course, and likewise telling.
>
>>A great shot can be taken with a P&S camera. However, serious
>>photographers who get more than the accidental once-in-a-blue-moon
>>great shots aren't using P&Ss.
>
>Childishly pejorative as usual

But non-refutable. You'd be stepping all over yourself furnishing
cites if you had examples to the contrary.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida