From: Neil Harrington on

"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:59:37 -0400, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
> <oncfe59jih38kcp5bqa9pe7lfibtobh2tc(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:45:26 -0700, John Navas
>><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>>Perhaps there are good reasons. Like it's a pointless and meaningless
>>>exercise. Like there are many much better forums. You might as well
>>>argue about exhibiting on supermarket bulletin boards.
>>
>>More like you are afraid to enter because you can't handle criticism.
>>
>>We know that you are willing to participate in pointless and
>>meaningless exercises. We've read your posts.
>
> How childish.

John, you have worn out "childish" as an argument some time ago.

From: Curiouser and Curiouser on
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:37:04 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
<secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote:

>"John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Neil Harrington wrote:
>>> "Miles Bader" <miles(a)gnu.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I wouldn't say he's particularly skillful at it, but he does have an
>>> effective (if transparent) procedure for it. The procedure is simple
>>> enough that I think anyone could do it; it requires little if any skill:
>>>
>>> 1. Enter a newsgroup making any ordinary trollish comment
>>>
>>> 2. Crudely insult anyone who replies, while accusing *them* of being a
>>> troll
>>>
>>> Simple as that.
>>
>> Why are so many unable to resist? Well, a handful continually rise to the
>> bait.
>
>Because it becomes kind of a fun thing.
>
>And note, the P&S troll isn't getting anywhere, at least by the classic
>definition for trolls. I realize of course that the definition has become
>muddled into something like "anyone who says something that annoys me," but
>the classic troll was one who started a squabble among newsgroup users and
>then sat back to watch the fun. The best of the trolls could do this with a
>single post -- and then never add another word, while the newsgroup regulars
>argued with increasing ire and fury amongst themselves. The troll who could
>do that was a troll for whom one had a certain grudging admiration.
>
>This P&S troll, on the other hand, works hard at what the does, and to
>relatively little effect. He slaves away at his keyboard, post after post
>after post, day after day. Gradually people tire of him and ignore him.
>Discussions and arguments may continue, but they have less and less to do
>with him. Now he's laboring over his 300-word posts and getting 10-word
>replies.
>
>This is a failed troll.

Are you aware that you and others of your ilk have now proved yourselves
beyond a shadow of all doubts to be nothing but inexperienced and ignorant
trolls, again?

Stay on topic, you ignorant and inexperienced know-nothing thread hijacking
trolls. Catch-22. If you stayed on topic you wouldn't be a troll. Continue
going off topic and you have precisely proved my point.

Sucks to be as stupid as you, doesn't it.

Read it again. Here it is again for your perusal. Can you answer it without
your usual off-topic trolling? The challenge is on. (Guess who's going to
win. Once a troll, always a troll. Asking a troll to not act like a troll
is like asking a slug to not travel by use of its exuded slime layer
discharge.)

>I sometimes wonder why people feel the need to make authoritative comments
>on equipment they've never used, never touched, and never even considered
>as part of their camera gear.
>
>There have been outlandish claims being made. Mostly by dSLR proponents
>over what can and cannot be done with the myriad P&S cameras available for
>the last decade. Yet, when pressed for clarity, you find out they've never
>even been near the cameras they are commenting on so strongly, assuredly,
>and adamantly with their self-appointed authoritative and seemingly (to
>themselves) concrete stance. They will loudly and incessantly claim that
>some camera does not have a feature, when in fact a large range of cameras,
>sometimes all of those styles of cameras do indeed have that feature or
>capability. They would instantly know this if they would only go out and
>test it for themselves with real cameras. But no, to them they have
>imagined something about some equipment that they've never touched which is
>nothing but a total fabrication in their own minds. Believing their
>imaginations as if it is some kind of fact. Like any psychotic religious
>zealot would.
>
>What causes them to do this? I've never commented on nor given advice about
>anything in life other than that with which I have had first-hand knowledge
>and experience of my own in that field. If I haven't personally tested
>something for myself, then I am in no position to make comments about it.
>Even reading about something doesn't mean what I am reading is true
>representation of whatever might be in question. I MUST test things for
>myself before I feel I can comment on anything with any sense of authority
>whatsoever. I also never strongly rely on some "credible"(?) 3rd-party's
>review of photography equipment. I learned long ago after having purchased
>equipment that even those well-meaning reviewers failed to understand how
>to use a camera, a feature of that camera, or other equipment properly. Or
>their simplified testing methods to begin with had huge faults in them.
>(GIGO) Which I only discovered later when my findings didn't match their
>findings, and I started to wonder why. Their testing methods were to blame.
>
>So what causes this need for people to pretend to be authorities on things
>that they have no real knowledge about?
>
>Are they just psychotic trolls? And I'm not using the term "psychotic"
>pejoratively. I believe they really are psychotic if they can so adamantly
>believe what they say, when in fact, reality and genuine experience proves
>them out to be in complete error. If so, if that's all they are, psychotic
>trolls, they seem to be wall-to-wall in these newsgroups. Far more in
>abundance than those who have genuine experience and knowledge about the
>subjects at hand.

We all wait with bated breath for your non-troll response. (Apostrophe left
off of "bated" to see how many apostrophe-trolls are in abundance.)

Since you failed to address or answer the question, there it is again. Any
further off-topic trolling without addressing the question and you will
prove, beyond all doubt, that you are nothing but an ignorant troll, again.
It's just that simple.

Sucks to be you, doesn't it.
From: John McWilliams on
Neil Harrington wrote: JPMcW wrote:

>> Why are so many unable to resist? Well, a handful continually rise to the
>> bait.
>
> Because it becomes kind of a fun thing.
>
> And note, the P&S troll isn't getting anywhere, at least by the classic
> definition for trolls. I realize of course that the definition has become
> muddled into something like "anyone who says something that annoys me," but
> the classic troll was one who started a squabble among newsgroup users and
> then sat back to watch the fun. The best of the trolls could do this with a
> single post -- and then never add another word, while the newsgroup regulars
> argued with increasing ire and fury amongst themselves. The troll who could
> do that was a troll for whom one had a certain grudging admiration.
>
> This P&S troll, on the other hand, works hard at what the does, and to
> relatively little effect. He slaves away at his keyboard, post after post
> after post, day after day. Gradually people tire of him and ignore him.
> Discussions and arguments may continue, but they have less and less to do
> with him. Now he's laboring over his 300-word posts and getting 10-word
> replies.
>
> This is a failed troll.

Yes, that's why he's not a troll but a pest.

Pests should be eradicated.

The only way that will happen with this guy is to ignore him. Ignore
those talking to those who talk to those who.... as I am doing now. Soon
to stop.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:21:52 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in
<2t6fe5p2897qek1hncp69v8ju7ievha7ht(a)4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:41:56 -0700, John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>
>wrote:
>: On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:03:04 -0400, tony cooper
>: <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
>: <tkkce5tlau0cr750vcbvpdu6thl5d58de7(a)4ax.com>:
>:
>: >On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:26:05 -0500, Curiouser and Curiouser
>: ><questioning(a)anyisp.net> wrote:
>: >
>: >>I sometimes wonder why people feel the need to make authoritative comments
>: >>on equipment they've never used, never touched, and never even considered
>: >>as part of their camera gear.
>: >
>: >I'd reply, but first I'd have to care. I don't. Not about dslr vs
>: >p&s, not about Canon vs Nikon, not about film vs digital, and not
>: >about Sigma vs whatever.
>: >
>: >I have a camera that I like. I have had days where I've spent hours
>: >taking photographs, come home with 400 or so images, and not kept one
>: >of them. I've never felt it was the camera's fault.
>:
>: Now if only you actually lived by that prescription... ;)
>
>John, you're too smart a guy to cough up such a knee-jerk reaction, smiley or
>no smiley. If you were one of the dummy trolls, it would be understandable,
>even predictable. But you're not. At least I never thought you were, even in
>the cell phone groups years ago.

That was just a wry dig. Sorry you don't see it that way.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Curiouser and Curiouser on
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:39:19 -0400, "Neil Harrington"