From: Mxsmanic on
Trent SC writes:

> There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
> frozen with that both enabled and disabled in the BIOS. So it MUST be
> either PSU, CPU or motherboard.

I can't think of a PSU problem that would abruptly cause the machine to
freeze. If the fans are running and the disks are turning, the PSU is
okay. That leaves CPU or motherboard.

Has the machine ever been subject to power surges or overheating?

The last time I had a CPU get sick, it produced exactly this kind of
mystery freeze-up, along with mysterious segment violations in programs
that had never shown the slightest trace of bugs before. For a long
time I thought it was an OS problem or a peripheral problem. But the
CPU got worse and worse and finally it became obvious that the
microprocessor had failed. This happened originally because it had
overheated for an extended period (12 hours at a stretch on multiple
occasions) because of a CPU fan failure. In the beginning it was a real
mystery.

From: Trent SC on
>> There's only an HSP56 modem on the machine (no NIC) and the machine has
>> frozen with that both enabled and disabled in the BIOS. So it MUST be
>> either PSU, CPU or motherboard.
>
> I can't think of a PSU problem that would abruptly cause the machine to
> freeze. If the fans are running and the disks are turning, the PSU is
> okay. That leaves CPU or motherboard.
>
> Has the machine ever been subject to power surges or overheating?
>
> The last time I had a CPU get sick, it produced exactly this kind of
> mystery freeze-up, along with mysterious segment violations in programs
> that had never shown the slightest trace of bugs before. For a long
> time I thought it was an OS problem or a peripheral problem. But the
> CPU got worse and worse and finally it became obvious that the
> microprocessor had failed. This happened originally because it had
> overheated for an extended period (12 hours at a stretch on multiple
> occasions) because of a CPU fan failure. In the beginning it was a real
> mystery.

The computer gets very light usage, although that doesn't mean the CPU isn't
failing, just that it might be taking longer to finally give up the ghost.
It sounds from the general opinion that I need to get a new board &
processor.

From: Toolman Tim on

"Alf Keiles" <alf.keiles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| Hi There,
|
| I Sympathise with you
| I've had mine almost 8 years, I keep updating it at a helluva cost
| and it's getting slower and slower and confusing
| I have the monitor on the window sill
| and my good lady has to stop me several times per day from pushing it out
of
| the window
|
| Alf

Yeah - I upgraded over and over and eventually had such a mixed up batch of
parts, I finally started over. But thankfully it wasn't quite bad enough to
throw out the window - I gave it away.

From: Al Smith on
> This is driving me crazy - I'm using different graphics, new RAM, new hard
> drive and new system and application software. The only common factors
> which might have an influence are the PSU, motherboard and processor. There
> are no heat issues going on and the two fans - PSU and CPU are spinning
> efficiently. I can only think that there must be something fundamental
> going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any
> brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

I had a computer that would give intermittent problems. An Acer
P2. Nothing I could do would fix the problem. It was obviously
hardware, as is true of your situation, but I couldn't find the
defect. I always figured it must be the power supply or the
motherboard.
From: Chris Pound on
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:07:10 +0100, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I can't think of a PSU problem that would abruptly cause the machine to
>freeze. If the fans are running and the disks are turning, the PSU is
>okay.

I've had that happen with an Enermax 365P PSU. Everything would seem
fine for a bit then I would get random freezes. It was an a bad PSU. I
put in a 400w Antec and the problem was solved.