From: Mxsmanic on
Trent SC writes:

> I don't think it's a CPU issue in my situation, as the problem can sometimes
> happen almost as soon as I've booted up, and I've checked the heatsink
> immediately after a crash and it's been v cool.

A previous episode of overheating could permanently damage the CPU,
causing it to fail intermittently even at normal temperatures.

I think Intel CPUs might have protection against this, though (the AMD
processor on my late server certainly didn't).

From: Toolman Tim on

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Matt writes:
|
| > How do you say the PSU can't cause lockups?
|
| By what mechanism would it cause them? In general, a PSU either
| provides power or it doesn't.

'Dirty' power - clipping, fluctuation, etc., of the standard voltages can be
sufficent to cause problems, especially if the hardware isn't the 'best'
quality to start with (low tolerances).

From: Mac Cool on
kony:

> Spending $100 on XP (or pirating it) for an old ECS board
> that should be in the dumpster, strike 3. Goodbye.

You've been uncharacteristically pissy lately. Bad times come your way?
--
Mac Cool
From: Mac Cool on
Trent SC:

> I can only think that there must be something fundamental
> going on in the motherboard or processor, but if anyone else has any
> brillinat ideas, I'd be very, very pleased to hear them!

You're going to have to pull, test or replace those parts to find out what
the problem is. Here is what I would do, pick out a nice motherboard/cpu
combo for ~$80-100 and upgrade the system. If by some chance that doesn't
fix the problem, buy a new Sparkle 350W. The system is do for an upgrade
and it isn't worth the aggravation, time or expense to replace with the
same technology.

--
Mac Cool
From: Blinky the Shark on
Trent SC wrote:

> The computer gets very light usage, although that doesn't mean the CPU isn't
> failing, just that it might be taking longer to finally give up the ghost.
> It sounds from the general opinion that I need to get a new board &
> processor.

If it's an ATX sys, this would be a good time for some upgrading,
anyway. You can get a newer mobo/BIOS and a noticelably faster CPU
for probably something like $100 US (I don't remember where you're
posting from, if it's obvious). Add a bit for faster RAM if you're in
the mood. Else, just try one item first - mobo or CPU - and see what
happens. If no joy, return that bit and replace the other; you'll
probably get off with just one purchase, to the tune of no more than
$50, if this is to remain a low-end system.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2