From: Blinky the Shark on
Trent SC wrote:

> I don't think it's a CPU issue in my situation, as the problem can sometimes
> happen almost as soon as I've booted up, and I've checked the heatsink
> immediately after a crash and it's been v cool.

You *have* reseated *all* of your connectors (except the CPU, which
reseating would require a whole new installation with thermal compound
and such), right?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2
From: Blinky the Shark on
["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
Mxsmanic wrote:

> Trent SC writes:

>> I don't think it's a CPU issue in my situation, as the problem can sometimes
>> happen almost as soon as I've booted up, and I've checked the heatsink
>> immediately after a crash and it's been v cool.

> A previous episode of overheating could permanently damage the CPU,
> causing it to fail intermittently even at normal temperatures.

Good point.

> I think Intel CPUs might have protection against this, though (the AMD
> processor on my late server certainly didn't).

Oof. Lose a fan, fry a CPU?

From: Blinky the Shark on
kony wrote:

> L2 is on the CPU in this case, not likely to have gone bad
> and if it did the CPU should be tossed out.

Hmmm. I can't figure out where else L2 would be. In (much) older CPUs,
was it once in the chipset rather than the CPU die?

From: Duane Arnold on

From: Duane Arnold on