From: Ken S. Tucker on
On Dec 8, 1:58 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> [...]
> making a contribution to the field without understanding the
> then-current theories and experiments. Contrary to your claim, crackpots
> and cranks who do not understand the now-current theories and
> experiments are not any part of the scientific community. People who
> present dissenting opinions with full knowledge of current theories and
> experiments are neither crackpots nor cranks -- one obvious difference
> is these latter can get published in the mainstream literature. Cranks
> and crackpots generally cannot get published in the mainstream
> literature, because a major purpose of peer review is to avoid wasting
> readers' time with "impossible" nonsense (see my next paragraph for the
> meaning of "impossible" here).
>
> > Exploration of all possible alternatives, hypothesis and
> > viewpoints, is absolutely essential for the well being and progress of
> > any scientific discipline.
>
> Yes. The key word is "possible", which in science means "consistent with
> all known experiments". Without knowing the current experimental record,
> a crackpot or crank simply does not understand what is and is not POSSIBLE.
>
> One must generally understand the then-current theories
> used when the experiment was published, in order to be
> able to read their paper(s) intelligently. The MMX is an
> excellent example of this, as are Miller's measurements.
> Such papers are inherently embedded in the context and
> milieu of physics when they were written.
>
> > It is certainly not necessary that all dissenting opinion must be
> > workable, brilliant or acceptable to the mainstream.
>
> No. But it _IS_ necessary that USEFUL "dissenting opinion" be POSSIBLE
> (in the above sense). Impossible "dissenting opinion" is useless and can
> be safely ignored. That's why so few real scientists pay attention to
> this newsgroup -- >90% of the posts are nonsense (or worse), and >99% of
> the "dissenting opinions" are IMPOSSIBLE (in the above sense).
>
> > Dissenting
> > opinion must be treated as an essential part of the exploration
> > process, to explore various inadequacies and shortcomings in the
> > current paradigm and to explore various alternatives.
>
> Not when such "dissenting opinion" is IMPOSSIBLE (in the above sense).
>
> The scientific literature is full of "dissenting opinion". Practically
> all of modern physics was once "dissenting opinion". And there are
> several current schools of thought about extending relativity ("doubly
> special relativity", "loop quantum gravity", "string theory", ...). But
> you won't hear about them around here, because they are all advanced
> topics far beyond the capabilities of just about everybody who
> contributes to this newsgroup; there are MUCH better forums in which to
> discuss them (primarily the literature, not the internet). The cranks
> and crackpots around here are in a completely different world, which is
> unrelated to science (and thus uninteresting to most scientists).

Yeah, I'd give a long salute to Galileo as
being such a crank. In the modern era, I'd
place Planck as being there with his invention
of Plancks constant, tending to finite, instead
of zero.
Regards
Ken S. Tucker
From: Dono on
On Dec 8, 5:04 pm, "Ken Fucker" <dynam...(a)vianet.on.ca> wrote:

> Ken Sucker

:-)

From: bill on
On Dec 9, 8:58 am, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> GSS wrote:

> > Exploration of all possible alternatives, hypothesis and
> > viewpoints, is absolutely essential for the well being and progress of
> > any scientific discipline.
>
> Yes. The key word is "possible", which in science means "consistent with
> all known experiments".

It is, I understand, a basic tenet of physics that although a theory
may appear to have been ratified by (i.e. be consistent with) numerous
experiments it only takes one (repeatable) experiment to invalidate
any theory.

The engineers who developed the scanning tunneling microscope were
repeatedly informed that on the basis of 'all known experiments' the
concept defied classical physics thus would not work (102, Popular
Science, April, 1989).

Georges Charpak's multiwire proportional chamber was initially
subjected to similar treatment (6, New Scientist, October 24, 1992).
From: Uncle Ben on
On Dec 8, 7:41 pm, mluttg...(a)orange.fr wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The scientific literature is full of "dissenting opinion". Practically
> > all of modern physics was once "dissenting opinion". And there are
> > several current schools of thought about extending relativity ("doubly
> > special relativity", "loop quantum gravity", "string theory", ...). But
> > you won't hear about them around here, because they are all advanced
> > topics far beyond the capabilities of just about everybody who
> > contributes to this newsgroup; there are MUCH better forums in which to
> > discuss them (primarily the literature, not the internet). The cranks
> > and crackpots around here are in a completely different world, which is
> > unrelated to science (and thus uninteresting to most scientists).
>
> > Tom Roberts
>
> What is you proof that light velocity is independent of the velocity
> of the observer? How do you explain his observed red or blueshift?

Easy. The frequency shifts are not velocity shifts.

Uncle Ben
From: Koobee Wublee on
"Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
-- Arthur C, Clarke

"Sufficiently advanced understanding is indistinguishable from faith."
-- Tom Roberts

"Sufficiently gross abuse in understanding is indistinguishable from
faith."
-- Koobee Wublee

"Sufficiently lack of Sagnac effect is indistinguishable in denying
the Aether."
-- Androcles

"Sufficiently being ignorance is indistinguishable from brain-dead."
-- Dirk van de Moortel

"Sufficiently throwing bullshit is indistinguishable from being a
multi-year super-senior."
-- Eric Gisse

"Sufficiently playing scientist-want-to-be is indistinguishable from
being the wizard of Oz."
-- Paul Draper

"Sufficiently lack of understanding in the principle of relativity is
indistinguishable from Dono the one who does not know anything."
-- Paul Andersen

<shrug>