From: PD on
On Dec 11, 8:06 am, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> PD wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 9:24 am, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > On Dec 9, 10:32 pm, PD <TheDraperFam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > And in fact, I do include in my list of causal mechanisms the
> > relationship between a property of an object and properties of the
> > space around it. This is not magic. It is just a causal mechanism that
> > is different than little material particles banging on other material
> > particles or little material particles being influenced by a field.
> > You don't want to admit a new category. I'm not so resistant.
>
> So you recognize the existence of a causal mechanism in the
> relationship between a 'property of an object' and *properties of the
> space* around it. In this regard, may I request you to kindly list out
> the *properties* of the space. In my opinion it is very important to
> understand the causal mechanism which governs the relationship between
> a property of an object and properties of the space around it

You mean beside the *direct one* between the property of the object
and the property of the space around it? Why do you think there has to
be *another* intermediary between those? And is your assumption that
that intermediary *has* to be among the categories you already
consider to be permissible (that is, little particles banging on
little particles, or particles influenced by some fluid)? Do you see
what you're doing? You have in your repertoire conceptual models A and
B and C. And when a new model D is proposed, you insist that there
must be an *underlying* mechanism of category A, B or C. In this way,
you don't ever have to accommodate a wholly new model D, you just have
to reduce model D to be "really" founded in model A, B, or C.

As far as what the properties of space are, I think we presently are
aware of the following:
metric
electromagnetic 4-potential
strong field
weak field
Although it is entirely likely that these are consolidated into a
combined multi-dimensional potential.

[rest of your post, largely surrounding a basic misunderstanding of
the difference between closing speed and light speed, left untouched.]

From: Tom Roberts on
GSS wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2:58 am, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> The problem around here is that all too many people unfamiliar with
>> modern physics mistake understanding and agreement with "unquestioning
>> faith".
>> .
> You can understand and agree with the mathematical structure of a
> theory like SR or GR. But when you agree with the founding postulates
> of these theories, there is no 'understanding' involved, it is only a
> matter of "unquestioning faith".

Ah! A deeper-level argument. But still bogus.

Physics is not a logical deduction system as you imagine. Physics is a
process of producing MODELS of the world, and testing those models
experimentally. "unquestioning faith"" is not involved, because the
postulates of the theory are not needed to be "true", they need only be
VALID (just like the theories themselves).

And remember: Einstein's original postulates for SR were chosen within
the milieu of his day; today we use a much more powerful basis for SR,
one which is exceedingly difficult to argue against:
A) the definition of inertial frames
B) group theory
C) Any one of the following:
C1) the fact that pion beams exist
C2) there is a finite upper bound on all signals
C3) any one of the hundreds of experimental tests of SR

AFAICT none of those depend on any sort of "unquestioning faith" (beyond
the "faith" required in assuming that physics itself is possible, which
includes the applicability of mathematics to observations of the world
we inhabit).

> Using your advanced understanding kindly explain how exactly MATTER
> influences the METRIC of spacetime manifold?

That sort of question is not part of science. Remember that science is
the process of making and testing MODELS of the world. Before you can
ask sensible questions, you must LEARN what science actually is.

> If you cannot do that, it
> will imply an unquestioning faith.

You project your personal limitations and misunderstandings to me. There
is no "unquestioning faith" in developing GR and observing that it is a
very good model for large regions of the world we inhabit. Science is
NOT a logical deduction system.

YOU seem to need faith, because you seem to insist that physical
theories have a logical foundation. That's silly -- this is SCIENCE, not
logic.

>> There is no instance in the history of physics of someone
>> making a contribution to the field without understanding the
>> then-current theories and experiments.
> This is either your misunderstanding or wrong belief that people with
> dissenting viewpoint don't understand the relevant theory or are
> ignorant of the relevant information. Just for a typical example
> consider Bryan G. Wallace.
> http://www.ekkehard-friebe.de/wallace.htm

Wallace displays a major lack of knowledge and fundamental
misunderstandings. But you don't know enough physics to realize that.

> It is your misunderstanding that all persons who do not agree with you
> are 'crackpots' or 'cranks'.

This is plain and simply not true. The criterion I use to consider
someone a crackpot or crank is their demonstrated lack of understanding
of physics.

> Obviously, people who explore possible alternatives must understand
> the current state of the knowledge on the relevant subject.

If this is so "obvious", why is it that you do not bother to do it? Nor
do most of the people who contribute to this newsgroup.

> But your
> assumption that they don't, reflects your personal bias.

This is neither "assumption" or "bias". There are literally dozens of
people around here, yourself included, who display a major lack of
understanding of modern physics in everything they write. For instance,
your paragraph:

> Say for example, I put up a dissenting opinion that
> (a) Second postulate of relativity is invalid, wrong and misleading.
> (b) Spacetime is not a physical entity but only a mathematical
> abstraction.
> (c) Curvature of space or spacetime is a misleading notion. Physically
> space cannot get curved, it can only get deformed.
> (d) It is wrong to assume that matter can physically influence the
> metric of space or spacetime.

These are not USEFUL "dissenting opinions", they are bunch of statements
you WISH were true, but have no basis to establish that: (a) is a bare
statement without support, (b) is true and unremarkable, (c) is
attempting to make a distinction without a difference and also assumes
that you have a personal and direct channel to some God to know what is
"physically" possible, (d) shows an utter failure to understand what
physics is.

A second-grade student can whine about his "dissenting
opinion" that 2+2=5 is being ignored. That does not make
his "opinion" valid or useful. That student would need a
mathematical proof, which we know is impossible for his
"opinion" -- that student needs to learn enough about
arithmetic to avoid making stupid statements. Similarly,
you need to first learn enough about science and physics
to avoid making silly statements like (b) [#], or stupid
ones like (c) and (d); then you need experimental support
for statements like (a) PLUS some method or argument
showing how everyone else was somehow misled by the
many experiments that confirm and support SR. Just saying
"these are my opinions" is woefully inadequate.

[#] the statement itself is not silly; but your "opinion"
that it is "dissenting" is quite silly.

Learn what science is. Learn what relativity actually says. Until you do
you will remain mystified.

Tom Roberts
From: bjones on
On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:04:23 -0800 (PST),
PD <TheDraperFamily(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> b jones is a crank

For the record, that is a baseless claim.

Also for the record, PD is a proven liar, and
this is just one more instance.

/bjones/

From: PD on
On Dec 11, 2:34 pm, ni...(a)4sure.com (bjones) wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:04:23 -0800 (PST),
>
> PD <TheDraperFam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > b jones is a crank
>
> For the record, that is a baseless claim.
>
> Also for the record, PD is a proven liar, and
> this is just one more instance.
>
> /bjones/

For record, the statement above "b jones is a crank", appears nowhere
in any post I've made on this thread. Therefore you've either made a
mistake in quoting it in this attribution style, or you are lying
about what I said.

PD
From: quadrillion on
On Dec 10, 7:54 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> eigen wrote:
> >> Tom Roberts
> > On the other hand I just spot an error you made in your ppt paper on
> > page 9 Brillet and Hall Experiment (1979)
> > where you say single mode laser heterodyne
> > this is impossible, because heterodyne involves 2 frequencies
>
> [I assume you mean my FAQ page; it is not a ppt, it is HTML.]
>
> You need to read their paper and understand their experimental
> arrangement. They have TWO single-mode lasers, one rotating and one
> fixed, and the two beams are heterodyned -- the signal they monitor is
> the frequency difference of the two laser beams.
>
> Tom Roberts

In this case you are right, and your paper is good

I will still look for some other errors you have made