From: Nicholas Andrade on
Sparky Spartacus wrote:

> Shel wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:48:31 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz(a)notmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Creating the diagnostic partition is not the problem, if you're
>>> familiar with partitioning software (Partition Magic, BootIt NG,
>>> etc.) or imaging software (e.g. True Image, Ghost). The problem is
>>> accessing the diagnostics partition from the F12 key. That requires
>>> some highly technical knowledge of programming, and is not guaranteed
>>> to work on every model of Dell computer. Ain't no easy way to do it.
>>> The easy way is to use Dell's diagnostic CD instead, which has all
>>> the same stuff you'll find in the diagnostic partition.
>>

>> For Ted:
>>
>> Why do your postings always come through as one long line of text with
>> no word wrapping?
>

> Doen't happen for me (using Mozilla 1.7.8). Have you checked your local
> settings?

Although Mozilla Mail will "word wrap" it when viewing the post, try
replying to Ted's post and it will appear as one long string (I'm using
Moz 1.7.8 in Windows right now, but it renders the same in Moz 1.7.11 in
Linux as well).
From: dgrnyc@yahoo.com on
The Inspiron 8600 has BIOS revision A14. I deleted the 31 MB partition
I created with Windows Disk Management and created another one in
Partition Magic 8. I was able to make this partition a Primary
partition and I located it first, before the C partition. When I look
at the partition in Disk Management, it looks right except that the
status says "Healthy" when I think it should say "Healthy (EISA
Configuration)" or something to that effect. I did press the F12 key
at startup and it does give me the following options

Use the up- and down-arrow keys to move the pointer to the desired boot
device. Press <Enter> to attempt to boot or ESC to cancel.

Internal HDD
CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Cardbus NIC
Onboard NIC
Diagnostics

When I chose Diagnostics, the Pre-Boot System Assessment Build 3012
runs fine and then I'm prompted to press any key to boot from the
Diagnostics partition. I press any key but I get the following message.

No Diagnostic Utility Partition found. To run diagnostics, insert your
Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the
system and boot off the CD. Ok or Cancel

I realize the partition I created has no diagnostic software on it. I
download the Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade
Tool A1249. But it says "No Dell Diagnostic Partition Found!".

Any idea what steps I should take from here? Daniel

From: Notan on
"dgrnyc(a)yahoo.com" wrote:

> <snip>
>
> No Diagnostic Utility Partition found. To run diagnostics, insert your
> Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the
> system and boot off the CD. Ok or Cancel
>
> I realize the partition I created has no diagnostic software on it. I
> download the Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics Utility Partition Contents Upgrade
> Tool A1249. But it says "No Dell Diagnostic Partition Found!".
>
> Any idea what steps I should take from here? Daniel

This topic was discussed in another thread, some time ago. If my memory serves
me correctly (and it doesn't always, these days! <g>), the conclusion was that
if the diagnostic partition was wiped out, for whatever reason, all subsequent
diagnostics would have to be run from a CD or floppy.

Notan
From: ben_myers_spam_me_not @ on
Not with my newsreader... Ben

From: dgrnyc@yahoo.com on
I found this link. Some this stuff may be hard to do without a floppy
drive (my case). I'll let you guys know if I am successful in following
these directions.
http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/recreate.htm