From: ben_myers_spam_me_not @ on
Yes, it's a safe assumption that your Inspiron model's BIOS knows about
diagnostic partitions if it presents you with the option to boot diagnostics
when you press F12.

As long as the diagnostic partition is created and built like the original, the
system should boot from it. Ranish Partition Manager is a free partition
manager capable of changing the partition signature to the one required by the
Dell BIOS, Hex EF, IIRC... Ben Myers