From: Eric Parker on

"Wes Newell" <w.newell(a)TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:35:12 -0800, amish wrote:
>
>> Eric Parker wrote:
>>> I've got a KT7A-Raid you could have, but I'm in the UK.
>>> I assume you're in North America, but you don't say.
>>>
>> I would very much appreciate it if we could arrange to purchase the
>> board from you. How much would you like for it and how can we
>> arrange
>> shipping?
>>
> Caution. The KT7A-Raid used an HPT372 controller IIRC. I don't think
> it'll
> work for you. Several MB's used the HPT370 or HPT370A (same as 370
> in a
> smaller package). It was also used on at least 1 controller board
> (RocketRaid 100) but I'm not certain if that will work either. Epox
> also
> made a board that used the HPT370.

Wes

Below is what Everest Home Edition had to say about it.
I don't know whether that is conclusive or not.
Any other ways of finding out ?

[ Devices ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description HighPoint
HPT3xx ATA RAID Controller
Driver Version 2.34.0.0
Driver Provider HighPoint
INF File oem16.inf
Hardware ID
PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04
Location Information PCI bus 0,
device 19, function 0
PCI Device HighPoint
HPT370A Ultra-ATA/100 RAID Controller

--------[ Physical
Devices ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCI Devices:
Bus 0, Device 8, Function 0 Compex
RE100ATX Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 0, Device 11, Function 1 Creative Game
Port
Bus 0, Device 11, Function 0 Creative SB
Live! Player 1024 Sound Card
Bus 0, Device 19, Function 0 HighPoint
HPT370A Ultra-ATA/100 RAID Controller
Bus 1, Device 0, Function 0 nVIDIA Vanta
LT Video Adapter
Bus 0, Device 1, Function 0 VIA AGP
Controller
Bus 0, Device 7, Function 1 VIA VT82C571
IDE Controller
Bus 0, Device 7, Function 0 VIA VT82C686B
PCI-ISA Bridge
Bus 0, Device 7, Function 4 VIA VT82C686B
Power Management Controller
Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0 VIA VT8363A
Apollo KT133A Chipset - System Controller
Bus 0, Device 7, Function 2 VIA VT83C572
PCI-USB Controller
Bus 0, Device 7, Function 3 VIA VT83C572
PCI-USB Controller

[ HighPoint HPT370A Ultra-ATA/100 RAID Controller ]

Device Properties:
Device Description HighPoint
HPT370A Ultra-ATA/100 RAID Controller
Bus Type PCI
Bus / Device / Function 0 / 19 / 0
Device ID 1103-0004
Subsystem ID 1103-0001
Device Class 0180 (Mass
Storage Controller)
Revision 04
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Not Supported

Eric
--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

From: Wes Newell on
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:01:22 +0000, Eric Parker wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell(a)TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

>>> I would very much appreciate it if we could arrange to purchase the
>>> board from you. How much would you like for it and how can we
>>> arrange
>>> shipping?
>>>
>> Caution. The KT7A-Raid used an HPT372 controller IIRC. I don't think
>> it'll
>> work for you. Several MB's used the HPT370 or HPT370A (same as 370
>> in a
>> smaller package). It was also used on at least 1 controller board
>> (RocketRaid 100) but I'm not certain if that will work either. Epox
>> also
>> made a board that used the HPT370.
>>

> Wes
>
> Below is what Everest Home Edition had to say about it.
> I don't know whether that is conclusive or not.
> Any other ways of finding out ?
>

> [ Devices ]
>
> Device Properties:
> Driver Description HighPoint
> HPT3xx ATA RAID Controller
> Driver Version 2.34.0.0
> Driver Provider HighPoint
> INF File oem16.inf
> Hardware ID
> PCI\VEN_1103&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04
> Location Information PCI bus 0,
> device 19, function 0
> PCI Device HighPoint
> HPT370A Ultra-ATA/100 RAID Controller

I stand corrected. Then this should work as long as he can find a bios
that has the same HPT bios version of the HPT as his board. I hope he
remembers what HPT bios version his old board had. the HPT portion of the
bios changed a few times. He'll need to find what bios your board has and
then hope it the same HPT version. If not, then he'll need to flash the
bios to match the one he had. I just remembered that KT7A versions below
rev. 3 used the same bioses as the KT7 boards. So assuming your's is not
a rev 3 KT7A, then all should be good and he can load a matching bios.

From: Wes Newell on
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:40:42 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> I stand corrected. Then this should work as long as he can find a bios
> that has the same HPT bios version of the HPT as his board. I hope he
> remembers what HPT bios version his old board had. the HPT portion of the
> bios changed a few times. He'll need to find what bios your board has and
> then hope it the same HPT version. If not, then he'll need to flash the
> bios to match the one he had. I just remembered that KT7A versions below
> rev. 3 used the same bioses as the KT7 boards. So assuming your's is not
> a rev 3 KT7A, then all should be good and he can load a matching bios.

Ok, there were 3 different HPT bios versions. The bioses are here for the
KT7(A) boards up to rev 1.2. It's the KT7A rev 1.3 that uses different
bioses. Found them on the tw global site. All of them had the same HPT
bios version. The same as the latest in the other boards. So if you have a
rev 1.3 board and he's got an older HPT bios, he'll have to hack the older
HPT bios into the new bios.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=88

From: Eric Parker on

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:40:42 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> I stand corrected. Then this should work as long as he can find a
>> bios
>> that has the same HPT bios version of the HPT as his board. I hope
>> he
>> remembers what HPT bios version his old board had. the HPT portion
>> of the
>> bios changed a few times. He'll need to find what bios your board
>> has and
>> then hope it the same HPT version. If not, then he'll need to flash
>> the
>> bios to match the one he had. I just remembered that KT7A versions
>> below
>> rev. 3 used the same bioses as the KT7 boards. So assuming your's
>> is not
>> a rev 3 KT7A, then all should be good and he can load a matching
>> bios.
>
> Ok, there were 3 different HPT bios versions. The bioses are here
> for the
> KT7(A) boards up to rev 1.2. It's the KT7A rev 1.3 that uses
> different
> bioses. Found them on the tw global site. All of them had the same
> HPT
> bios version. The same as the latest in the other boards. So if you
> have a
> rev 1.3 board and he's got an older HPT bios, he'll have to hack the
> older
> HPT bios into the new bios.
>
> http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios_revision.php?categories=1&model=88

Wes

There's a label behind the bios chip with v1.1 on it.
I seem to remember it was an early one.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

From: Wes Newell on
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:55:17 +0000, Eric Parker wrote:

> There's a label behind the bios chip with v1.1 on it.
> I seem to remember it was an early one.

Then they uses the same bios as the KT7's. A9 was the last. i checked the
HPT bios for the KT7A and I should have looked at the KG7-Raid..

Ok, the last hpt bios in the KT7/a was 1.11.0402. that was the first hpt
bios in the KG7-Raid. The raid bios changed to version 2.0.1024 bios
version 68 2002-01-28, and to 2.34 in bios DS 2003-03-06. So if he bought
the board before about feb 2002 and never upgraded the bios, he can use
the any KT7 or KT7A with bios 7N or later. If he upgraded the bios in the
KG7 board then he'll have to find a matching hacked HPT version. Iknow
there's a hacked KT7A A9 version with the 2.34 HPT bios in it. Not sure
about the other one. Jef in this group has the upgraded version I think.

0+1 raid or backup often would have been a lot easier. I'm running raid 0
on a couple of 300GB drives, but it just for hdtv recordings. no big loss.
Besides, it totally software (Linux) raid, so the controller doesn't
matter.