From: Rod Speed on
Bob Willard wrote
> me wrote

>> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer.
>> Seems like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die
>> in a coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG &
>> Samsung for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of
>> the crowd?

>> FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.

> All CD/DVD devices are prone to die due to dirt & dust, which can
> coat the lens. If your environment is not air-conditioned, or if people are allowed to smoke, then your optical
> devices are likely to die early.

Its not die so much with smokers, the smoke just
coats the lense eventually and can be cleaned off.

From: Rod Speed on
me wrote
> Bob Willard <BobwBSGS(a)TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote
>> me wrote

>>> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer.
>>> Seems like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die
>>> in a coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG &
>>> Samsung for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest
>>> of the crowd?

>>> FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.

>> All CD/DVD devices are prone to die due to dirt & dust, which can
>> coat the lens. If your environment is not air-conditioned, or if people
>> are allowed to smoke, then your optical devices are likely to die early.

> Are you suggesting that a simple lens cleaning might restore errant devices?

Yes, with smokers.

> I don't have smoke,

Then that isnt your problem.

> but I do have dust, and a "test" device causing issues right
> now (the subject to be replaced) that I could run a pilot on.

Wouldnt hurt to try cleaning the lense, but it isnt likely to help if you arent a smoker.

From: gumby on
On 04/05/2010 6:13 PM, Frank Williams wrote:

> Stay away from the Junk that you list and go for Pioneer or Panasonic..
>
> I have a old Liteon that seems to last for ever.

You have just been lucky because they are all junk. That is why they are
cheap to buy, just like women's pantyhose are designed to not last the
same can be said of DVD-RW drives.
From: gumby on
On 05/05/2010 12:43 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

> Its not die so much with smokers, the smoke just
> coats the lense eventually and can be cleaned off.

How do you clean the lens properly? I have a lens cleaning cdrom but it
is just a delicate brush glued to the cdrom and that is not going to
remove cigarette smoke. I just replaced a DVD-RW with a new one
yesterday because it was having issues reading some disks and I do smoke.
From: Rod Speed on
gumby wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Its not die so much with smokers, the smoke just
>> coats the lense eventually and can be cleaned off.

> How do you clean the lens properly?

I personally open the drive and use isopropanol on a
bit of cloth etc and am careful to not damage the head
mounting mechanism which is very easy to damage.

> I have a lens cleaning cdrom but it is just a delicate brush glued to the cdrom and that is not going to remove
> cigarette smoke.

It might do if you wet it with isopropanol first.

> I just replaced a DVD-RW with a new one yesterday because it was having issues reading some disks and I do smoke.

Yeah, smoking produces that result with optical drives eventually.

Its amazing where the smoke gets to, a smoker's system
stands out like dogs balls when you open it, its obvious
which are smoker's systems from the smell alone.

You should see what its done to your lungs.