From: DevilsPGD on
In message <elb1u517eovqmesa5p91gnd94smrjbm8v0(a)4ax.com> me
<noemail(a)nothere.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer. Seems
>like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die in a
>coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG & Samsung
>for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of the
>crowd?
>
>FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.

I've got a couple LGs here that have warranty stickers from 2006, and
the one I got rid of to buy one of these was probably two years older
and is still going.

Antidotal, but I'd buy LG again.
From: Bob Willard on
me wrote:
> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer. Seems
> like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die in a
> coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG & Samsung
> for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of the
> crowd?
>
> FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.
>
> Thanks,

All CD/DVD devices are prone to die due to dirt & dust, which can
coat the lens. If your environment is not air-conditioned, or if
people are allowed to smoke, then your optical devices are likely
to die early.
--
Cheers, Bob
From: DevilsPGD on
In message <jj63u59jev5h4prvrd83llpnbo8ubeqp8l(a)4ax.com> me
<noemail(a)nothere.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Are you suggesting that a simple lens cleaning might restore errant
>devices? I don't have smoke, but I do have dust, and a "test" device
>causing issues right now (the subject to be replaced) that I could run
>a pilot on.

If the device is destined for the trash anyway there is little harm in
trying.
From: Rod Speed on
me wrote:

> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer.
> Seems like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die
> in a coupe years. Are there any that last longer?

I havent had any of my LGs die and they arent as picky about the media as many too.

> I see some LG & Samsung for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of the crowd?

The LGs are better than most.

From: Rod Speed on
Frank Williams wrote
> me <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote

>> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer.
>> Seems like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die
>> in a coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG &
>> Samsung for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of
>> the crowd?

>> FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.

> Stay away from the Junk that you list and go for Pioneer or Panasonic..

I have in fact had a Pioneer die and the LG that replaced it last forever.