From: Rod Speed on
Frank Williams wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Frank Williams wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> No you Can't as it gets into every thing..

>> Yes you can. It isnt a problem unless its in the optical path.
>> The voltage levels arent high enough to be a problem in a DVD drive.

> Some one else that does not know a Thing,

So stupid it can't even work out that all three posts you are replying to are from the same individual.

> have you serviced them for say 10 years,

For a hell of a lot longer than that, thanks.

Likely since before you were even born, thanks.

> from your comment I don't think so..

Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.

Have fun explaining why the PCs of smokers work fine.

It's only the optical drives that don't work fine.

From: Rod Speed on
Ed Light wrote:
> On 5/8/2010 12:11 AM, Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 May 2010 19:42:16 +1000, "Rod
>> Speed"<rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> Another person that just don't know a Thing I have serviced them for
>> some 10 years and more and know what I am taking about.
>>

> Frank, due to his ungratiousness, most of us have Rod filtered out.

Thats a lie. And there is no such word anyway.
http://www.onelook.com/?w=ungratiousness

From: gumby on
On 07/05/2010 7:43 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

> You'll get to pick his nursing home if it doesnt get him first.

Oh, he passed away three years ago and not from smoking either so it
never "got" him. Pneumonia did though.
From: Ant on
On 5/5/2010 12:42 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Frank Williams wrote
>> me<noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote
>
>>> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer.
>>> Seems like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die
>>> in a coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG&
>>> Samsung for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of
>>> the crowd?
>
>>> FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.
>
>> Stay away from the Junk that you list and go for Pioneer or Panasonic..
>
> I have in fact had a Pioneer die and the LG that replaced it last forever.
>
>> I have a old Liteon that seems to last for ever.

Not me. I had a LiteOn DVD-ROM drive in a custom built ASUS K8V SE
Deluxe PC (single core Athlon 64 CPU with 512 MB of RAM). It couldn't
read burned discs, then it got worse with printed discs. Same thing with
my home PCs. :(

I also had one of the original Plextor CD-RW burners (SCSI; PleXWriter
4/2/20 CD-R/CD-RW PX-W4220T; and expensive back in late 1999!) and that
started dying after a year (warranty was too late!). I think it was
because I left my CDs in the drive all the time to play MP3s. I got
another Plextor drive model (PX-W1210 PlexWriter (12/10/32A; IDE)) after
that, and it still works today but rarely used (mostly for burnings and
checking discs when other drive can't)! I guess leaving discs in it all
the time was a bad idea from wear and tear?

So yeah, my friends told me DVD/CD drives are so cheap these easy. Toss
dying/broken ones and replace them with new ones. Now, Blu-Ray ones are
a different story due to their costs.
--
"What is it going to be like in eternity with God? Frankly, the capacity
of our brains cannot handle the wonder and greatness of heaven. It would
From: Ant on
On 5/5/2010 2:43 AM PT, Bob Willard typed:

> me wrote:
>> Looking for recommendations for a brand of DVD/CD reader/writer. Seems
>> like all those I've purchased, regardless of name brand, die in a
>> coupe years. Are there any that last longer? I see some LG & Samsung
>> for low prices, are they junk or just as good as the rest of the
>> crowd?
>>
>> FWIW, this is for an IDE interface.
>> Thanks,
>
> All CD/DVD devices are prone to die due to dirt & dust, which can
> coat the lens. If your environment is not air-conditioned, or if
> people are allowed to smoke, then your optical devices are likely
> to die early.

What about wear and tear? I had a Plextor CD-RW burners (SCSI;
PleXWriter 4/2/20 CD-R/CD-RW PX-W4220T; and expensive back in late
1999!) and that started dying after a year (warranty was too late!).
Plextor was supposed to be awesome. I think it was because I left my CDs
in the drive all the time to play MP3s. I got another Plextor drive
model (PX-W1210 PlexWriter (12/10/32A; IDE)) after that, and it still
works today but rarely used (mostly for burnings and checking discs when
other drive can't)! I guess leaving discs in it all the time was a bad
idea from wear and tear?
--
"He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo