From: Mike S. on

In article <5b46u513hre9t23o38b9irblu6mbu47evf(a)4ax.com>,
DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
>In message <hruvni$has$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> Bob Willard
><BobwBSGS(a)TrashThis.comcast.net> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>DevilsPGD wrote:

>>> To a point, this was true. However modern optical drives don't seem to
>>> be substantially better than 2 year old drives at this point.
>>>
>>> I think it's largely due to some physics limits in terms of how fast you
>>> can spin cheap disks and how much vibration can be absorbed.
>>
>>Well, the next generation (meaning the stuff that I can't yet afford)
>>is Blu-ray, and then comes multi-layer Blu-ray, and there will likely
>>be shorter wavelength LASERs beyond that to crank up the areal density
>>some more. I doubt if we have reached the absolute physical limits.
>
>However, my point was more that my 2-3 year old drives are still on par
>with modern CDR/DVDR drives, there's no advancements that make them
>worth replacing other than Bluray (which I don't really look at as an
>"advancement" on current drives, as much as a new format entirely)

The only issue is need for updated firmware to do better burns on newer
blank DVD media. As the market settles down I suppose there are going to
be fewer and fewer variations to cope with. For instance, though, I have an
Optiarc laptop-size DVD burner from 2006 that won;t make reliable burns on
the newer Ritek media that many companies are branding as their own these
days. The MID isn't in it's table, so it defaults to a 4X generic burning
strategy thet produces horrific quality recordings on that media. No
firmware updates available so replacing it may be an option.

From: gumby on
On 05/05/2010 9:34 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

> You should see what its done to your lungs.

I blame my father for introducing me to the evil weed.
From: Rod Speed on
gumby wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> You should see what its done to your lungs.

> I blame my father for introducing me to the evil weed.

You'll get to pick his nursing home if it doesnt get him first.

From: Rod Speed on
Frank Williams wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Frank Williams wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Its not possible to clean a Smoke Damaged Laser Assembly,

>> The problem aint damage, its just a film of the smoke residue on
>> the lens and its perfectly possible to get that off with isopropanol.

>>> as it get on more parts that you can get at,
>>> like the Mirror and the bottom of the Lens.

>> It doesnt matter unless its in the optical path unless the levels are very bad.

>>> I should know as I fixed many CD/DVD Players..

>> But dont understand the basics.

>>> Smokers even kill TV's

>> Not very often.

> I have proven many times you just don't know a Thing,

Like hell you have.

> I have been a Electronic Eng and Technician for some 30 years

I have been for a hell of a lot longer than that thanks.

> and more you just don't know a thing how a CD/DVD laser system works..

Easy to claim. Have fun actually substantiating that claim.

You can't even manage to work out how to capitalise properly.

From: Rod Speed on
Frank Williams wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Frank Williams wrote
>>> me <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote

>>> The Dust gets on to many parts, and it time stick like glue,

>> No it doesnt if its not a smoker's system.

>>> you have to use cotton buds and Isopropyl to clean some
>>> of the parts, but hard to clean underneath the lens.

>> It doesnt cause any real problem underneath the lens as long as it
>> isnt a smoker's system and isnt used in very high humidity enviroments.

> Another person that just don't know a Thing

We'll see...

> I have serviced them for some 10 years

I have done that for a hell of a lot longer than that, thanks.

> and more and know what I am taking about.

We can all see that you don't.

You can't even manage to work out how to capitalise properly.