From: Traveler on
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:56:35 -0700, Robert Clark
<rgregoryclark(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Aug 17, 12:09 pm, Dono <sa...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> Here is a very good analysis of his latest paper uploaded on arxiv:
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-faster-than-the-speed-o...
>>
>> Nimtz has been making this ridiculous claims for years and he has been
>> countered in numerous venues. In spite of all the criticisms, he keeps
>> at it , just like Cahill, Hartwig Thim, Munera, Tom van Flandern etc,
>> etc. :-)
>

> In that arstechnica.com critique the author says:
>
>"Suffice it to say that, for the evanescent wave, the speed of light
>is zero, and therefore any measurable speed is faster than the speed
>of light."
>
> Perhaps he meant to say the *time* of transmission is zero, and
>therefore the speed is greater than c?
> This would be consistent with the argument Nimtz is making that
>evanescent modes are analogous to "tunneling photons" and the fact
>that quantum theory seems to imply that tunneling photons appear to
>take the same length of time to cross a barrier regardless of its
>length.
> See this article by the physicist John Cramer on this curious
>prediction of quantum theory in relation to the Nimtz team's (older)
>work:
>
>Tunneling through the Lightspeed Barrier.
>by John G. Cramer
>http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw75.html
>
> BTW, this online collection of science fact articles by Cramer
>provides an excellent intro to the interface of science and science
>fiction.

Being a time travel crackpot, it does not surprise me that Cramer
would try to inject a time travel interpretation into the works.

John Cramer:
"If this is done properly, the signal will arrive earlier
than it leaves, and back-in-time signal transmission will
have been achieved.'

This is pure hogwash. Quantum tunneling does not prove faster than
light travel. It only proves the non-existence of space. IOW, distance
is an illusion.

Nasty Little Truth About Space:
http://www.rebelscience.org/Crackpots/nasty.htm#Space

Louis Savain
From: Tom Roberts on
Robert Clark wrote:
> Tom, it seems to me to prove information could be sent all the
> experimenters would have to is instead of reflecting back the same
> pulse, send back something different such as two pulses.

I think what is required is to actually send some information, and
demonstrate it arrived at the receiver faster than c. To be convincing,
the distance should be varied and the time delay as a function of
distance should be plotted, along with a comprehensive error analysis.

> This might be difficult to do over a short distance of 1 meter,

3 ns is a long time for some current methods of measuring the delay of a
light beam. In at least one case, a resolution of a few attoseconds
(10^-18 sec) has been achieved (they used this to stabilize the fiber
optic links of ALMA, a multi-antenna radio telescope). Stability becomes
a big issue, as the light path must remain constant to better than an
Angstrom....

Tom Roberts
From: Pentcho Valev on
On 20 Aug, 06:07, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in
sci.physics.relativity:
> Robert Clark wrote:
> > Tom, it seems to me to prove information could be sent all the
> > experimenters would have to is instead of reflecting back the same
> > pulse, send back something different such as two pulses.
>
> I think what is required is to actually send some information, and
> demonstrate it arrived at the receiver faster than c.

Roberts Roberts your zombies still do not know why you replace
Einstein's light postulate

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/ "...light is
always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity c which is
independent of the state of motion of the emitting body."

with this sending-information idiocy. It seems you are a secret
disciple of Dr. Chiao:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/31704765.cms
"Does fasterthan-light speeding up of photons violate Einstein's
theory of relativity? "I don't think so," Dr Chiao said. While
individual particles may travel faster than the conventional speed of
light, he maintained that it was not possible to transmit a message at
superluminal speeds."

Are you a secret disciple of Dr. Chiao Roberts Roberts? If you are,
then are you a secret disciple of the Nobel laureate Brian Josephson
as well?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/31704765.cms
"The Nobel laureate Brian Josephson put it a little differently: "The
new speeds given for photons are in excess of the current value for
the speed of light in air, but they are still light photons. So
clearly, we are dealing with the speed of light - only faster light."

I think Roberts Roberts you ARE a secret disciple of the Nobel
laureate Brian Josephson. In fact you Roberts Roberts, the Albert
Einstein of our generation (Hawking is no longer the Albert Einstein
of our generation), you have been a secret disciple of the Nobel
laureate Brian Josephson for years:

http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/8034dc146100e32c
Tom Roberts: "If it is ultimately discovered that the photon has a
nonzero mass (i.e. light in vacuum does not travel at the invariant
speed of the Lorentz transform), SR would be unaffected but both
Maxwell's equations and QED would be refuted (or rather, their domains
of applicability would be reduced)."

Pentcho Valev

From: Androcles on

"Tom Roberts" <tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
: Robert Clark wrote:
: > Tom, it seems to me to prove information could be sent all the
: > experimenters would have to is instead of reflecting back the same
: > pulse, send back something different such as two pulses.
:
: I think

Liar.
--
'we establish by definition that the "time" required by light to travel from
A to B equals the "time" it requires to travel from B to A' because I SAY SO

From: Tom Van Flandern on
"Dono" writes:

> Nimtz has been making this ridiculous claim [about faster-than-light
> propagation] for years and he has been countered in numerous venues. In
> spite of all the criticisms, he keeps at it, just like Cahill, Hartwig
> Thim, Munera, Tom Van Flandern etc, etc.

The Nimtz claim may or may not be correct, but it certainly is not
ridiculous. It has now been solidly established that Lorentzian relativity
(with no speed limit) is just as viable a physical model as special
relativity (with speed limit c) because both theories agree with all 11
independent experiments testing the relativity of motion. That much is
uncontested. It is also the prevailing opinion at present that gravitational
force propagates faster than light in forward time because all six
experiments sensitive to that speed agree that it propagates faster than c.
Several early challenges to that conclusion between 1998 and 2001 were
answered to the satisfaction of neutral parties, and no further challenges
have appeared since the 2002 comprehensive review paper on this subject.

Here are the citations:
** "Possible new properties of gravity", Astrophys.&SpaceSci. 244:249-261,
1996;
http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gravity/possiblenewpropertiesofgravity.asp

** "The speed of gravity - What the experiments say", Phys.Lett.A 250:1-11,
1998; http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp

** "Experimental Repeal of the Speed Limit for Gravitational,
Electrodynamic, and Quantum Field Interactions", T. Van Flandern & J.P.
Vigier, Found.Phys. 32:1031-1068, 2002; preprint under title "The speed of
gravity - Repeal of the speed limit":
http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gravity/speed_limit.asp

These are peer-reviewed, published in major physics journals, and the
last of them is unchallenged and therefore stands as the last word on the
subject to date. This means that propagation and communication at unlimited
speeds in forward time (no causality violations) is not just possible, but
an inevitable development in our future. It also means SETI is a waste of
time because no technologically advanced civilization would communicate over
interstellar distances using electromagnetic waves when they could use
classical gravitons instead and communicate in seconds instead of
centuries. -|Tom|-

Tom Van Flandern - Sequim, WA - see our web site on frontier astronomy
research at http://metaresearch.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: GETTING RID OF EINSTEIN RELATIVITY
Next: USM