From: Dono on
On Aug 21, 8:31 pm, "Tom Van Flandern" <to...(a)metaresearch.org> wrote:
> "Dono" writes:
> > Nimtz has been making this ridiculous claim [about faster-than-light
> > propagation] for years and he has been countered in numerous venues. In
> > spite of all the criticisms, he keeps at it, just like Cahill, Hartwig
> > Thim, Munera, Tom Van Flandern etc, etc.
>
> The Nimtz claim may or may not be correct, but it certainly is not
> ridiculous. It has now been solidly established that Lorentzian relativity
> (with no speed limit) is just as viable a physical model as special
> relativity (with speed limit c) because both theories agree with all 11
> independent experiments testing the relativity of motion. That much is
> uncontested. It is also the prevailing opinion at present that gravitational
> force propagates faster than light in forward time because all six
> experiments sensitive to that speed agree that it propagates faster than c.
> Several early challenges to that conclusion between 1998 and 2001 were
> answered to the satisfaction of neutral parties, and no further challenges
> have appeared since the 2002 comprehensive review paper on this subject.
>
> Here are the citations:
> ** "Possible new properties of gravity", Astrophys.&SpaceSci. 244:249-261,
> 1996;http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gravity/possiblenewpropertiesofgrav...
>
> ** "The speed of gravity - What the experiments say", Phys.Lett.A 250:1-11,
> 1998;http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp
>
> ** "Experimental Repeal of the Speed Limit for Gravitational,
> Electrodynamic, and Quantum Field Interactions", T. Van Flandern & J.P.
> Vigier, Found.Phys. 32:1031-1068, 2002; preprint under title "The speed of
> gravity - Repeal of the speed limit":http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gravity/speed_limit.asp
>
> These are peer-reviewed, published in major physics journals, and the
> last of them is unchallenged and therefore stands as the last word on the
> subject to date.

Stop deluding yourself, Carlip debunked your incorrect claims in this
very forum several times. Of course, LIGO will provide the final
falsification of your theory.

From: Dono on
On Aug 21, 8:31 pm, "Tom Van Flandern" <to...(a)metaresearch.org> wrote:
> "Dono" writes:
> > Nimtz has been making this ridiculous claim [about faster-than-light
> > propagation] for years and he has been countered in numerous venues. In
> > spite of all the criticisms, he keeps at it, just like Cahill, Hartwig
> > Thim, Munera, Tom Van Flandern etc, etc.
>
> The Nimtz claim may or may not be correct, but it certainly is not
> ridiculous. It has now been solidly established that Lorentzian relativity
> (with no speed limit) is just as viable a physical model as special
> relativity (with speed limit c) because both theories agree with all 11
> independent experiments testing the relativity of motion. That much is
> uncontested.

No, really? It is very easy to falsify your claim. From your paper one
gathers that you call "Lorentzian theory" the one governed by the
Selleri-Tangherlini transforms, right?

x'=gamma*(x-vt)
t'=t/gamma
Could you please show how the above set transforms the Maxwell wave
equation? This should be very entertaining :-)

From: shuba on
Tom Van Flandern wrote:

> Found.Phys. 32:1031-1068, 2002

> unchallenged and therefore stands as the last word

Fantasy can be a component of a healthy psychological makeup.

---Tim Shuba---
From: Pentcho Valev on
On 22 Aug, 05:31, "Tom Van Flandern" <to...(a)metaresearch.org> wrote:
> "Dono" writes:
> > Nimtz has been making this ridiculous claim [about faster-than-light
> > propagation] for years and he has been countered in numerous venues. In
> > spite of all the criticisms, he keeps at it, just like Cahill, Hartwig
> > Thim, Munera, Tom Van Flandern etc, etc.
>
> The Nimtz claim may or may not be correct, but it certainly is not
> ridiculous. It has now been solidly established that Lorentzian relativity
> (with no speed limit) is just as viable a physical model as special
> relativity (with speed limit c) because both theories agree with all 11
> independent experiments testing the relativity of motion.....
> Tom Van Flandern - Sequim, WA - see our web site on frontier astronomy
> research athttp://metaresearch.org

Many Einsteinians will agree with you - they want to get rid of
Einstein's false light postulate and claim special relativity "would
be unaffected" even if "light in vacuum does not travel at the
invariant speed of the Lorentz transform":

http://o.castera.free.fr/pdf/chronogeometrie.pdf
Jean-Marc Levy-Leblond: "D'autre part, nous savons aujourd'hui que
l'invariance de la vitesse de la lumiere est une consequence de la
nullite de la masse du photon. Mais, empiriquement, cette masse, aussi
faible soit son actuelle borne superieure experimentale, ne peut et ne
pourra jamais etre consideree avec certitude comme rigoureusement
nulle. Il se pourrait meme que de futures mesures mettent en evidence
une masse infime, mais non-nulle, du photon ; la lumiere alors n'irait
plus a la "vitesse de la lumiere", ou, plus precisement, la vitesse de
la lumiere, desormais variable, ne s'identifierait plus a la vitesse
limite invariante. Les procedures operationnelles mises en jeu par le
"second postulat" deviendraient caduques ipso facto. La theorie elle-
meme en serait-elle invalidee ? Heureusement, il n'en est rien ; mais,
pour s'en assurer, il convient de la refonder sur des bases plus
solides, et d'ailleurs plus economiques. En verite, le "premier
postulat" suffit, a la condition de l'exploiter a fond."

http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/8034dc146100e32c
Tom Roberts: "If it is ultimately discovered that the photon has a
nonzero mass (i.e. light in vacuum does not travel at the invariant
speed of the Lorentz transform), SR would be unaffected but both
Maxwell's equations and QED would be refuted (or rather, their domains
of applicability would be reduced)."

http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/4114.html
Jong-Ping Hsu: "....unexpected affirmative answer to the long-standing
question of whether it is possible to construct a relativity theory
without postulating the constancy of the speed of light and retaining
only the first postulate of special relativity. This question was
discussed in the early years following the discovery of special
relativity by many physicists, including Ritz, Tolman, Kunz, Comstock
and Pauli, all of whom obtained negative answers."

Pentcho Valev

From: Ben Rudiak-Gould on
Dono wrote:
> From your paper one
> gathers that you call "Lorentzian theory" the one governed by the
> Selleri-Tangherlini transforms, right?
>
> x'=gamma*(x-vt)
> t'=t/gamma

Can someone explain to me once and for all what the heck these are supposed
to mean? You can't use them as a plug-in alternative to the Lorentz
transforms, because they don't define a symmetry. Any time you have a set of
transforms that leave your equations unchanged, it must be true (for obvious
reasons) that

1. If T is one of them, then its inverse T^-1 is one of them.
2. If T and U are two of them, then the combination T-then-U is one of
them.

The transforms above don't satisfy either of these. So what on earth can
they possibly mean? The only reason the Lorentz transformations are
interesting is that they define a symmetry, and that symmetry is a
physically meaningful constraint on possible physical laws. Can someone show
me a physical theory that's "consistent" with the Selleri-Tangherlini
transforms, and one that isn't, and what exactly the difference is?

-- Ben
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: GETTING RID OF EINSTEIN RELATIVITY
Next: USM