From: Dono on
Here is a very good analysis of his latest paper uploaded on arxiv:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-no-i-dont-think-so.html

Nimtz has been making this ridiculous claims for years and he has been
countered in numerous venues. In spite of all the criticisms, he keeps
at it , just like Cahill, Hartwig Thim, Munera, Tom van Flandern etc,
etc. :-)

From: Josef Matz on
Nimtz is right and you are wrong !

Josef Matz

From: Tom Roberts on
Josef Matz wrote
> [to those claiming Nimtz is wrong about superluminal signals]
> Nimtz is right and you are wrong !

This is probably a case of both being right, but saying different things.

Yes, Nimtz probably did observe a superluminal group velocity of his
signals. But yes, this does not violate SR because it cannot be used to
send INFORMATION faster than light. Here's a simple demonstration of why
this can be so:
http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/20/20.html

Nimtz carefully did not give enough information so his claims could be
examined in detail by experts.

Tom Roberts
From: Dono on
On Aug 17, 7:22 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Josef Matz wrote
>
> > [to those claiming Nimtz is wrong about superluminal signals]
> > Nimtz is right and you are wrong !
>
> This is probably a case of both being right, but saying different things.
>
> Yes, Nimtz probably did observe a superluminal group velocity of his
> signals. But yes, this does not violate SR because it cannot be used to
> send INFORMATION faster than light. Here's a simple demonstration of why
> this can be so:
> http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/20/20.html
>
> Nimtz carefully did not give enough information so his claims could be
> examined in detail by experts.
>
> Tom Roberts

No, Tom

Nimtz has been claiming in front of rooms full of experimenters that
his "experiments" are disproving relativity. He's been at it for
years, he is as misguided as Cahill.

From: Jerry on
On Aug 17, 9:22 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Josef Matz wrote
>
> > [to those claiming Nimtz is wrong about superluminal
> > signals]
> > Nimtz is right and you are wrong !
>
> This is probably a case of both being right, but saying
> different things.
>
> Yes, Nimtz probably did observe a superluminal group
> velocity of his signals.

I can certainly understand superluminal group velocity
in anomalous dispersion scenarios. But I find it difficult
to understand how that would apply to Nimtz's setup.

It is frustratingly difficult to figure out Nimtz's
experimental setup, or what he might actually have been
measuring.

Nevertheless, I believe tht I have discerned a feature of
his setup that points beyond mere stupidity. Rather, this
feature points to actual -fraud-.

Note that one element of his setup initially makes no sense
at all. Why in the world should the receiving antenna have
been "movable paralel to the prism's surfaces"? Making it
movable provides a wonderful opportunity to fudge the data.
Are your pulses arriving later or sooner than you want?
Move the receiver down to a narrower or thicker part of the
prism!

Note carefully in Figure 1, the right diagram. With the
prisms separated, the total path through Perspex with
refractive index n=1.6 is significantly less than the
path length through Perspex shown in the left diagram!

Allowing the receiver antenna to be "movable paralel to
the prism's surfaces" allows Nimtz to adjust the geometry
of the experimental setup so that the pulse delays come
out just the way he wants them to come out.

> But yes, this does not violate SR because it cannot be
> used to send INFORMATION faster than light. Here's a
> simple demonstration of why this can be so:
> http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/20/20.html
>
> Nimtz carefully did not give enough information so his
> claims could be examined in detail by experts.

He wasn't careful enough. Comparison of the left and right
diagrams in Figure 1 show very clearly that separation of
the prisms might possibly even have -advanced- the arrival
time of the pulses at the receiving antenna, due to the
shorter path length through the Perspex. This sort of
result would not have been acceptable, even to a crackpot.

Hence the need for a movable receiver antenna. Nimtz is
not merely deluded. Nimtz has generated fraudulent results.

Jerry

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: GETTING RID OF EINSTEIN RELATIVITY
Next: USM