From: Todd Vargo on
Paul Randall wrote:
> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>
> -snip-
>
>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>> on any machine I have control.
>
> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my
> liking, with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars,
> status bar & explorer bar, folder view, etc. There are IE internet
> options that would also like to configure through VBScript.
>
> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
> manually?

Manually since I typically do not expect the encounter in advance, and I do
not want to wait until some later time/date when I will have a flash drive
handy. I like to dive right in.

Also, I used to export certain registry keys to import into future
installations, but discontinued that practice since I have discontinued use
of and/or replaced various utilities that those keys would point to over the
years. IE has evolved many things over the years that there is really
nothing one can consider standard between IE versions or even OS versions,
but if you wanted to copy features of one system to another of the same
type, it should be fairly simple to export/import through regedit.

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

From: Paul Randall on

"Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> "Paul Randall" <paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>
>>> Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
>>> for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).
>>
>> Thanks for the advice, Stefan
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to do this on computers that come with the OS
>> preinstalled which typically having an unattended way to restore the
>> system
>> to 'out of the box' condition, such as a restore partition or DVD or with
>> user-created Ghost image made prior to the computer's first boot up. It
>> is
>> this restored and booted system that I want to customize to my liking.
>
> These OEM Preinstallations are almost always spoiled with unwanted and
> superfluous (trial) software, often carry remainders from previous
> (un)installations, or show even signs of multiple attempts of a factory
> setup and customization.
>
> The best thing to do with such an installation: trash it after inspection.
> Carefully look for a \i386\UNATTEND.TEXT or \i386\WINNT.SIF (their
> contents
> are copied to C:\Windows\$winnt$.inf) during setup, or a \SYSPREP\ folder.
>
> The \SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY.CAB on any of your Windows 2000/XP/2003 setup
> media contains two *.CHM which describe these files.
>
> The current DEPLOY.CAB is also available here:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=673a1019-8e3e-4be0-ac31-70dd21b5afa7>
>
> You can use the \i386 found on the harddisk to (re)build your own setup
> media (in case you have none) or a so called "distribution share" (to
> be used with RIS): integrate the current service pack and all the hotfixes
> into the media (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755981.aspx),
> the necessary device drivers too, and use the \i386\WINNT.SIF to run your
> own scripts during setup.
>
> This will give you a CLEAN setup to start with.
>
>> I've played with that 'out of the box' image for some 2005-era Compaq
>> laptops with WXP-Home. HP/Compaq includes a huge number of Python
>> scripts
>> which I assume are used to set things up during the first boot, but I
>> think
>> it would be easier for me to learn how to make the registry changes
>> needed
>> for my customized system than to learn how to change the first-boot
>> process.
>
> OEMs almost always use SYSPREP(.INF) and/or OOBE(.INI) as starting point.
> See the above mentioned *.CHMs.

Thanks for the detailed explaination. I will try it when I get some free
time next month. I had planned on asking for help in the WXP newsgroup with
modifying theOEM's setup mechanism to avoid the 'crapware' installation and
have a fairly clean system.

-Paul Randall

From: Paul Randall on

> Paul Randall wrote:
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>>> on any machine I have control.
>>
>> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my
>> liking, with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars,
>> status bar & explorer bar, folder view, etc. There are IE internet
>> options that would also like to configure through VBScript.
>>
>> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
>> manually?
>
> Manually since I typically do not expect the encounter in advance, and I
> do not want to wait until some later time/date when I will have a flash
> drive handy. I like to dive right in.
>
> Also, I used to export certain registry keys to import into future
> installations, but discontinued that practice since I have discontinued
> use of and/or replaced various utilities that those keys would point to
> over the years. IE has evolved many things over the years that there is
> really nothing one can consider standard between IE versions or even OS
> versions, but if you wanted to copy features of one system to another of
> the same type, it should be fairly simple to export/import through
> regedit.

Thanks for letting me know your reasons for doing it manually. I've been
using IE6 since I got my first WXP system, but I think I will soon be forced
to modernize.

-Paul Randall

From: Al Dunbar on

"Al Dunbar" <alandrub(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On 8/15/2010 8:40 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:
>>>

>>> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Some people learn more easily from the printed word. If that is the case
>>> for the OP, I would recommend he purchase a book rather than try to
>>> print out any material designed for on-line access. Wrox Press carries a
>>> few that make reasonably good references. Assuming these are still in
>>> print...
>>>

>>> /Al
>>>

>> Odd though that it has a Print menu. Yes,I just discovered Wrox and
>> bought a used VBS book harking back to 1999. I doubt much has changed.
>
> Nothing substantive has changed in VBScript, including some of the known
> bugs. WSH, on the other hand, has gone through a couple of minor version
> changes since then. Most of these were associated with the introduction of
> new versions of Windows.

Oops, forgot to mention: it's not the help file that has the print menu, but
the help application. But even if it did, I suspect that the expectation
would be for the odd person print out a page or two for reference, not the
entire thing as a book. Since its structure is hyperlinked, there doesn't
seem to be a simple way to organize it into a complete reference without
doing a lot of work. Better to do the work to look things up as needed, and
use the VBS

From: wolf_tracks on
On 8/17/2010 9:46 AM, Al Dunbar wrote:

> "Al Dunbar" <alandrub(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> <wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Odd though that it has a Print menu. Yes,I just discovered Wrox and
>>> bought a used VBS book harking back to 1999. I doubt much has changed.
>>
>> Nothing substantive has changed in VBScript, including some of the
>> known bugs. WSH, on the other hand, has gone through a couple of minor
>> version changes since then. Most of these were associated with the
>> introduction of new versions of Windows.
>
> Oops, forgot to mention: it's not the help file that has the print menu,
> but the help application. But even if it did, I suspect that the
> expectation would be for the odd person print out a page or two for
> reference, not the entire thing as a book. Since its structure is
> hyperlinked, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to organize it into a
> complete reference without doing a lot of work. Better to do the work to
> look things up as needed, and use the VBS

Got side tracked with interesting results. I did buy a used VBS book,
circa 1999. It appears VBS is really for web apps. I couldn't really
find out one creates a file like abc.vbs that has pure VBS code in it
w/o html. Above somewhere, someone brought wscript.exe (and another exe)
to my attention. I'll look again at was said, but I think to execute a
abc.vbs file, I'd have to get into command code enter wscript.exe abc.vbs.

If it turns out I can execute a abc.vbs file, then my next question is
can I execute it from JavaScript.

As it turns out, using vbs is the wrong way for me to go, but I'm still
curious. The right way is Visual Basic. By almost luck, when a friend
moved, he gave me two VB 5 books, and the compiler (Interpreter?)

Why VB. I'm using a scientific app that allows one to extend facilities
of the app by executing vbs files from it (I guess that answers my exe
question from above.) The user invokes a RunVBScript command. The app
has about 20 commands, and they are all there to provide some modicum of
ability to run other apps that control h/w. As it turns out, that app
is pretty limited, and one can write stand-alone VG programs with a
solid GUI i/f (allows pushbuttons, scrolls, text entry, etc., that will
i/f with the other program the app works with. No need to even run the
app. Just use VB.

Still curious about VBS. My guess is that it is nowhere as powerful as
using VB, but isn't really used for of with html.

Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>