From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
Al Dunbar wrote:

> "Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
>> I find that arrogance
>> about one's chosen language tends to be in relation
>> to the terseness of it.
>
> Interesting observation. I prefer this one: language arrogance is not
> healthy regardless of the chosen language. These are tools, guys, let's
> not get our shorts tied in knots arguing the number of angels on the
> head of a pin!
>
>> C++ people are stuck with
>> annoying semi-colons, but that doesn't stop a lot
>> of them from holding forth about their "superior"
>> language.
>
> True. But those who actually like the semi-colons do not agree that they
> are stuck with them. They are probably happy not to have too many
> colons, otherwise they will be forced to cleanse.
>
>> And many Perl users seem to think they're
>> the Chosen People. But "We're number 1!" is simply
>> childish, no matter what the topic.
>
> LOL. Do you know *any* language that has no zealots??
>
>> PS - Al, I'd suggest that you don't take up this
>> issue with your wife. She may not appreciate that
>> you're thinking about women who look like her --
>> even if they are her. :)
>
> Hmm, for a computer geek, you seem to have some fairly sophisticated
> views about relations between the sexes. I'll keep your advice in mind.

The One True Faith is Assembler. All else are varying degrees of heresy. :-)
--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.
From: Mayayana on
| >| Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
| >|
| >| if a = b then c = d end if
| >|

| > I don't see the problem with that.
|
| Then you are not a Basic native speaker.

So what? Do you want historical credentials
or workable code. It works gine for me. The End If
can be used or skipped. It also provides the option
for extensive code within it:

If a = b then
c = d
e = f
g - h = i
End If

| > I find that arrogance about one's chosen
| > language tends to be in relation
| > to the terseness of it.
|
| Wow, we are talking VBS here,
| arrogance is off topic.

Indeed....I rest my case. :)

From: Mayayana on

| The One True Faith is Assembler. All else are varying degrees of heresy.
:-)
| --

:) The president looks down on the VP and
the rubbish man looks down on the garbage man....
but they're all stuck on the same self-imposed
ladder to nowhere.

From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
Evertjan. wrote:
> Mayayana wrote on 27 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:
>
>> | I prefer the ideas of Edsger Dijkstra [1930-2002] about Basic.
>> | Felt intuitivity leads to sloppy programming.
>> | There is beauty in Javascript that fails in VBS.
>> |
>> | Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>> |
>> | if a = b then c = d end if
>> |

>> I don't see the problem with that.
>
> Then you are not a Basic native speaker.
>
> there are two forms of If-then:
>
> ==============
> if a then b
> ==============
>
> and the young William Gates invention:
>
> ==============
> if a then
> end if
> ==============
>
> so the below is an error and should flagged down as an error:
>
> ==============
> if a then b end if
> ==============
>
> end it is flagged down in many Basics but not in in MS-VBS.
>

>> If it's sunny
>> then we're going to the beach. I don't find that I
>> get confused re-reading my code, thinking that the
>> beach turned into the sun.
>
> Why should you be. It can be sunny on the beach and minus 40,
> immaterial if in degrees Celcius or Farenheit.
>
>> I find that arrogance
>
> Wow, we are talking VBS here,
> arrogance is off topic.

Arrogance is /always/ on topic with programmers. :-)

--
Crash

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~ W. Edwards Deming ~
From: Evertjan. on
Al Dunbar wrote on 28 aug 2010 in microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript:

>> Example, the sloppy allowance in vbs of this faulty statement:
>>
>> if a = b then c = d end if
>
> Well, what vbscript allows is a moot point, as those (apparent)
> weaknesses will never be addressed (along with the known bugs). A good
> thing too, as that would probably break a lot of code.

The story goes that years ago MS corrected this in an update, and then
some really big websites, [like cnn.com and/or bbc.co.uk ?], I remember,
came crashing to a full stop, because the programmers had written sloppily
about this.

In a speedy update the error correction was undone.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.