From: Paul Randall on

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message

-snip-

> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
> on any machine I have control.

I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my liking,
with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars, status bar &
explorer bar, folder view, etc. There are IE internet options that would
also like to configure through VBScript.

Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
manually?

-Paul Randall

From: Hz on
On 2010-08-10 13:13, wolf_tracks(a)invalid.com wrote:
> I'm told VBS comes with MS OSes, and that if I had an example script of
> a vbs program, I could see how it works by double clicking on the file.
> Does someone have a simple program that I could try that on? Maybe
> something that simply prints some text or prints the results of a simple
> calculation. I'm using Win 7.

I'm using SciTE. It's free and does what I want in VBScript, javascript
and c++.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Open it, type this in, save it as a VBScript file (blah.vbs) and hit F5
to run it:
WScript.Echo "Hello World"

Maybe you'll need to make sure CScript is the one parsing it so you
don't get those annoying WScript popups.

I'm using the "lite" (A single file executable called Sc1) version of
SciTE. I have configured it to use my fav font: Consolas, and I have
tweaked some of the syntax highlighting colors. Other than that it is stock.
From: Stefan Kanthak on
"Paul Randall" <paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote:

> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>
> -snip-
>
>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>> on any machine I have control.
>
> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my liking,
> with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars, status bar &
> explorer bar, folder view, etc. There are IE internet options that would
> also like to configure through VBScript.
>
> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
> manually?

Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).

Stefan

From: Paul Randall on

"Stefan Kanthak" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> "Paul Randall" <paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>>
>> -snip-
>>
>>> I agree 100% with unhiding file extensions. That is the first thing I do
>>> on any machine I have control.
>>
>> I've unsuccessfully toyed with vbscripts to set up new systems to my
>> liking,
>> with things like unhiding file extensions, changes to toolbars, status
>> bar &
>> explorer bar, folder view, etc. There are IE internet options that would
>> also like to configure through VBScript.
>>
>> Have you been successful with scripting such changes, or do you do it
>> manually?
>
> Always via unattended setup, scripted with *.INF (the NATIVE method
> for ANY setup on Windows since 15 years now).

Thanks for the advice, Stefan

I'm looking for a way to do this on computers that come with the OS
preinstalled which typically having an unattended way to restore the system
to 'out of the box' condition, such as a restore partition or DVD or with a
user-created Ghost image made prior to the computer's first boot up. It is
this restored and booted system that I want to customize to my liking.

I've played with that 'out of the box' image for some 2005-era Compaq
laptops with WXP-Home. HP/Compaq includes a huge number of Python scripts
which I assume are used to set things up during the first boot, but I think
it would be easier for me to learn how to make the registry changes needed
for my customized system than to learn how to change the first-boot process.

-Paul Randall

From: wolf_tracks on
OK,I've been gone for 3 days, and apparently gotten over the "local
disk" problem. I have Help file download with Help open. If I print all
of VBScript, how many pages am I going to get? 400? 20? Yikes, I see
navigation to web site was canceled.

Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>