From: z1 on
SG1 wrote:
> "Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 28/04/2010 6:12 AM, SG1 wrote:
>>> Is there a free alternative to M$ defragmenter as per XP. It is soooo
>>> slow.
>>> Comments about not needing to defragment are not encouraged Roddles.
>>>

>> Not sure where this slots in but -
>>
>> W7 its recommended you configure and run a schedule defrag on regular
>> basis.
>
> Fits in with normal people, gives Roddles fits.......

I would not be so unkind to Rod. It's not just Rod's technical view that
defraging is a waste of time, rather it's a common idea as a result that
NTFS doesn't seem to warrant defraging period.

Myself, I prefer to do the odd defrag as I feel my machine runs better
as a result. We all have subjective preferences even when they don't
make technical sense :)

From: me here on
Rob wrote:

> On 28/04/2010 3:18 PM, me here wrote:
> > Rob wrote:

> >> Not sure where this slots in but -
> > >
> >> W7 its recommended you configure and run a schedule defrag on
> regular >> basis.
> >
> > So how is that any different to Microsoft recommendations for their
> > previous OS ?
> >
> > MS have always promoted defragment/disc clean up maintenance on
> > their web site.
>
> Yes I use defrag on a regular basis yet sometimes on a particually
> chockers HDD its been difficult to get the defrag to run and I think
> that Perfect Disk was used to sort it out because MS defrag had some
> stumbling blocks.
>
> Difference - You can now scheduled W7 to run automatically at a
> time/interval suitable. Whereas XP you manually went into system
> tools to defrag.

You can do it automatically with XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_october08
..mspx
From: Rod Speed on
Rob wrote
> SG1 wrote

>> Is there a free alternative to M$ defragmenter as per XP. It is soooo slow. Comments about not needing to defragment
>> are not encouraged Roddles.

> Not sure where this slots in but -

It doesnt.

> W7 its recommended you configure and run a schedule defrag on regular basis.

What matters is the reason to support that 'recommendation', not just some proclamation.

From: Rod Speed on
z1 wrote
> SG1 wrote
>> Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> SG1 wrote

>>> Not sure where this slots in but -

>>> W7 its recommended you configure and run a schedule defrag on regular basis.

>> Fits in with normal people, gives Roddles fits.......

> I would not be so unkind to Rod. It's not just Rod's technical view
> that defraging is a waste of time, rather it's a common idea as a
> result that NTFS doesn't seem to warrant defraging period.

> Myself, I prefer to do the odd defrag as I feel my machine runs better as a result.

Bet you wouldnt be able to pick it in a proper double blind trial.

And even if you could, in that situation, the speed of the defragging is irrelevant when its done that rarely anyway.

> We all have subjective preferences even when they don't make technical sense :)

Some of us dont.

From: SG1 on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Rob wrote
>> SG1 wrote
>
>>> Is there a free alternative to M$ defragmenter as per XP. It is soooo
>>> slow. Comments about not needing to defragment are not encouraged
>>> Roddles.
>
>> Not sure where this slots in but -
>
> It doesnt.
>
>> W7 its recommended you configure and run a schedule defrag on regular
>> basis.
>
> What matters is the reason to support that 'recommendation', not just some
> proclamation.

All 3 disks defragged, Roddles the machine is faster but not by much, there
was some noticeable lag b4 I did it. I like to defrag once in a blue moon or
is that blue chees?? I had taken a heap of files from C & D to my new 1.5TB
F drive and figured rightly or wrongly that I should defrag to make
contiguous what I could. It will probably become a monthly event now that I
no longer have to use the M$ product. As it was done during a period of
insomnia, the time taken is not all that relevant. In future I will set it
up at night as a go to bed job.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: IExplorer open minimised