From: Marc Verkade [Marti] on
Hello,

We (Bob, Bulent, Ronald and I) have attended DevShare in Shrewton, England
last few days. Very nice organised! Thanx Phil, Alwyn and everybody else
involved (the
wives!).

@Alwyn: Can I hire the BBQ guy for our Marti BBQ later this year?

There were about 35 people attending this un-official Vulcan conference.
Saw nice things from Colin, Willy, Robert, Alwyn, Dieter, Chris and others.
It seems that Vulcan is finally maturing, I learrned a lot and have seen a
lot!

Thanx all!
It was nice meeting again at DevShare!

Furthermore I want to share with you all that we are in the middle of
transporting our Bake-it VO app to Vulcan.
This is our process so far:

Phase 1 - Tidy up the Bake-it VO repo and get rid of all things we do not
use and restructure some librarys due to cross-references
Phase 2 - Transport the VO project to Vulcan and replace some awkward code
to .Net equivalents

These 2 phases are now done and we are ready for Phase 3 : Get it 100%
running in Vulcan.Net. Bake-it.Net is working for about 85% now:
- Sven menu's
- BBrowser
- VO2ADO
- FabZip
- FabPaint
- 98% of all 900 Windows
- 99% of all 295 Tables

What has our focus the next month by our devteam to get it all running:
- ADS.Net integration (Nice session of Joachim at DevShare I heard!) in
stead of the old VO-ADS classes (Simple)
- Replace XMLParser from Anthony Smith with DotNet equivalent (Simple)
- Replace OLE Automation with DotNet equivalents (Word / Excel / Webbrowser)
(Simple)
- Crystal Report 8.5 integration (some prototypes are invalid, who has the
C++ header files of Crystal 8.5???) (Not very simple, needs C++ master ;-) )
If that will not work, we will move over to the latest Crystal Reports for
..Net (Simple)
- Review encryption routines for our licensing routines
- Replace RalfK errorhandler with .Net one. Seen a nice one from Willy and
we build one ourselves in C# already (Simple)
- Add scripting to replace VO-Script. I have seen a scripting sample, so I
think we will manage this (Not very simple due to script conversions)

When this is done, I guess we have the transportation covered 99%.

In the mean time, we have set up a test-team that will test Bake-it.Net in
phase 4 (Internal testing Internal + external Beta at several customers)
Testing will take some time due to the fact we did not have class-checking
on in VO. Dumb mistake I made 10 years ago ;-)
We want to deploy our Bake-it.Net in august 2010. This will be phase 5 (=
Deployment)

Bake-it.Net is running in VS2008 and VS2010. It only took us a few weeks to
convert almost 1000 windows and 300 servers and get where we are!
I know we will run into some problems and will get the difficult part in the
last phase, testing and deployment, but I am confident we will make it in
the next months.
Vulcan is much tighter and we already caught some nice mistakes, so our code
is better!

Good to see that Alwyn almost finished his 900 page Vulcan book; we really
need it! I heard you can pre-order it soon.. (At least I did ;-) )

Regards and have fun!
Marc Verkade (and the rest of the Marti team)

From: richard.townsendrose on
Marc

once alwyn [a pragmatic engineer] decides to write a book, then this
says two very important things:

a) vulcan is stable
b) it has future

you have also confirmed that all the bits that one needs for a major
app now really do exist and rewally do work

thanks for the update - please invite me to the next one, and alwyn,
can i please order the book ! I still occasionally refer to the VO
one !

richard
From: Nick Friend on
I'd like to echo the thanks to Phil and Alwyn for a great event. It
was a very productive (and enjoyable) environment to kick ideas around
in an informal way.

I've been ducking in and out of the process of moving to .NET and/or
Vulcan, not quite sure of the approach to take regarding our existing
VO code, but I think the last couple of days have helped to clarify
things greatly for us.

I've been away from Vulcan for a few months, responding to different
commercial pressures, and it's nice to see a whole combination of
factors coming together... language, compiler, environment,
documentation (at least 900 pages that I know of ;-) ) and supporting
codes and tools.

I'm aware that certain people (unnamed) will almost certainly jump
into this thread and tell us it's obvious we should just go to C#, and
C# will undoubtedly be a tool we use extensively, but it's not the
whole story and Vulcan will definitely play an important role in
letting us moving smoothly to NET with minimum disprution.

Can't wait to pile into WPF.

Nick

From: Geoff Schaller on
Vulcan???? Stable? I've seen isotopes of uranium more stable.

It has no future
It has no user base
It has basically no sample base you can count on
It is limited compared to C# and VB
Its integration with VS is limited
It evolves only at a glacial pace
It has a developer team of precisely one

But it does have a degree of VO compatibility so if that is your only
measure then go for it.

Geoff

"richard.townsendrose" <richard.townsendrose(a)googlemail.com> wrote in
message

From: Marc Verkade [Marti] on
Hey,

> It has no future
Wrong
> It has no user base
Wrong > 0
> It has basically no sample base you can count on
Partly wrong
> It is limited compared to C# and VB
Partly wrong
> Its integration with VS is limited
Wrong
> It evolves only at a glacial pace
? No idea what you mean here
> It has a developer team of precisely one
Wrong

regards, Marc

"Geoff Schaller" <geoffx(a)softxwareobjectives.com.au> schreef in bericht
> Vulcan???? Stable? I've seen isotopes of uranium more stable.
>
> It has no future
> It has no user base
> It has basically no sample base you can count on
> It is limited compared to C# and VB
> Its integration with VS is limited
> It evolves only at a glacial pace
> It has a developer team of precisely one
>
> But it does have a degree of VO compatibility so if that is your only
> measure then go for it.
>
> Geoff
>

> "richard.townsendrose" <richard.townsendrose(a)googlemail.com> wrote in
> message
>
>> Marc
>>
>> once alwyn [a pragmatic engineer] decides to write a book, then this
>> says two very important things:
>>
>> a) vulcan is stable
>> b) it has future
>>
>> you have also confirmed that all the bits that one needs for a major
>> app now really do exist and rewally do work
>>
>> thanks for the update - please invite me to the next one, and alwyn,
>> can i please order the book ! I still occasionally refer to the VO
>> one !
>>
>> richard
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4