From: mikem75 on
Pete - I can confirm that my application runs successfully on Mac OS 10.5.5 and
OS 10.4.11 with no difficulties. I checked the library\application
support\adobe folder on the 10.5.5 machine and there is no shockwave folder in
there. So, unless there's another way to confirm shockwave is not installed on
the machine??

Again, I authored on Windows Vista Ultimate in Director 11. I created the Mac
app right along with the Windows app and then copied it to a flash drive which
was ultimately duplicated and distributed. I've had no tech concerns from any
of the apps we've distributed. I have run the app on multiple Macs and PC's.

I was actually quite surprised at how easy the whole process was. Other than
the mp3 issue previously described, it worked flawlessly. Certainly if there's
anything I can do to help the process along to discover what the problem seems
to be, I'll give you a hand. The only difference I can see between what I've
done and what you've done is Vista.

Weird.

Mike M

From: pete_5419 on
Mike, thanks again for the reply.

I agree that Vista seems to be the only difference between my process and
yours. I'm not sure why that would make the difference??

Anybody else running into this?

From: Gordon McCreight on
>  Anybody else running into this?

Yes, I'm seeing it. It looks like we have similar, though not
identical, setups:
Publishing from Windows XP SP3 (Not SP2, like you, but close)
Running the projector on Mac OS 10.4.11 (Not 10.5 like yours)

When I run the application, I receive the following error:
Application Error
This application requires Shockwave Player 11, which can not be
found. Click OK to download it.

Having access to a Macintosh-created .app/Contents/Frameworks folder
would be very helpful. I'd like to try the switcheroo you described
to see if that fixes the situation. (And also to do a file-by-file
comparison of the contents)

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that one of the big
benefits of using a .app folder structure is that it is filesystem
agnostic. Unlike traditional Mac executables, there aren't data forks
and second-class citizen resource forks, but just "files in a
folder". The nice thing is that the .app folder is just a folder
which is named a particular way so the Macintosh Finder knows to
present it as an application. It appears that within the .app folder
they use an old trick (which you'll recognize from the Mac's .zip
files or from Appletalk implementations on foreign filesystems.)
Namely, they use two files to represent one file with a two forks.
For example, in the Contents/Resources folder you'll see a file called
ProjectorName.rsrc (where ProjectorName is the name of your
projector) If you remove that file (or just rename it) the
application will not run at all.

Just a quick note about these two files... from the command line you
can use the /System/Library/CoreServices/FixupResourceForks command to
merge the two files back into a single file with two forks (very
useful if you have an automated system for cross platform
development).

I've gotta run right now, but I'd love to talk about this more. I'll
post back here with whatever resolution I end up coming up with (even
if it's just finding a copy of a Macintosh-created .app/Contents/
Frameworks somewhere)

-Gordon

From: Gordon McCreight on
Just a quick note since I said I'd post back. I've decided to leave
the Mac side of my application alone (keeping it at MX 2004) because I
decided that backwards compatibility was more important than keeping
the PC and Mac versions synchronized. So, I've actually doubled any
movies (PC side are Director 11, Mac side are MX 2004). Having two
sets of movies will be untenable in the long run, but in the short
term it's the best way to support the maximum configurations, I feel.
I had to upgrade the PC version of the application because of issues
with the projector crashing in Asia, which Director 11 appears to
magically fix.

Anyhow, good luck on the Mac projector front!
-Gordon