From: Owain on
On 6 June, 23:33, unruh wrote:
> > I don't have a var/spool/pdf-cups and I'm not allowed in var/spool/
> > cups
> If you are not the sysadmin, why not discuss your problem with the
> sysadmin.

I am the sysadmin. Well I suppose I am. I really just want the sys to
admin itself. Anyway, I can't get into var/spool/cups and it doesn't
ask for the password.

Owain

From: rich on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:51:36 -0700, Owain wrote:

>> You probably need to give the clever peeps here a bit more info.
>
> If I knew what info to give I would give it!
>
>> but
>>
>> upgrading from mepis 8 to mepis 8.5 I had a couple of teething problems
>> setting up a pdf virtual printer and the test pages ended up in /var/
>> spool/pdf-cups right next to /var/spool/cups which might be a place to
>> look first. Worth a try.
>
> I don't have a var/spool/pdf-cups and I'm not allowed in var/spool/ cups
>
> I can print to PDF okay, just not print the PDFs to the printer.
>
> Owain

That was supposed to be an example that I was giving.

Ubuntu, well I suppose to rummage around you will need to do

sudo nautilus

however remember all the dire warnings about root privilages

More info - try firing up cups in firefox - use the url

http://localhost:631/

then use the administration tab and look at the logs.

--
rich
From: chris on
On 06/06/10 23:46, Owain wrote:
> On 6 June, 23:33, unruh wrote:
>>> I don't have a var/spool/pdf-cups and I'm not allowed in var/spool/
>>> cups
>> If you are not the sysadmin, why not discuss your problem with the
>> sysadmin.
>
> I am the sysadmin. Well I suppose I am. I really just want the sys to
> admin itself. Anyway, I can't get into var/spool/cups and it doesn't
> ask for the password.

sudo cd /var/spool/cups

Will sort you out.

I'm guessing you're new to Linux. You need to learn about permissions as
they are much more strictly enforced than in Windows and many things
need to be done as 'root'. A fairly random hit with Google throws this
up, which is probably a good start:
http://www.freeos.com/articles/3127/

And this gives background on sudo in Ubuntu:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

From: Owain on
On 7 June, 11:10, chris wrote:
> sudo cd /var/spool/cups
> Will sort you out.

owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ sudo cd /var/spool/cups
[sudo] password for owain:
sudo: cd: command not found
owain(a)owain-desktop:~$

> I'm guessing you're new to Linux. You need to learn about permissions as
> they are much more strictly enforced than in Windows and many things
> need to be done as 'root'. A fairly random hit with Google throws this
> up, which is probably a good start:http://www.freeos.com/articles/3127/
> And this gives background on sudo in Ubuntu:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

I really just want my printouts to come back again!

owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ sudo nautilus

** (nautilus:9951): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not
supported
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed:
'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open
usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or
directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

ERROR: meta.c (179): wmf_header_read: this isn't a wmf file

(repeated)

in var/spool/cups/ I have 34 TGA images. There is nothing in var/spool/
cups/tmp

Owain

From: chris on
On 07/06/10 20:05, Owain wrote:
> On 7 June, 11:10, chris wrote:
>> sudo cd /var/spool/cups
>> Will sort you out.
>

> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ sudo cd /var/spool/cups
> [sudo] password for owain:
> sudo: cd: command not found
> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$

Ok. I get the same. I wonder why sudo doesn't like 'cd'? To view the
contents of the directory do this:

sudo ls /var/spool/cups

>> I'm guessing you're new to Linux. You need to learn about permissions as
>> they are much more strictly enforced than in Windows and many things
>> need to be done as 'root'. A fairly random hit with Google throws this
>> up, which is probably a good start:http://www.freeos.com/articles/3127/
>> And this gives background on sudo in Ubuntu:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
>
> I really just want my printouts to come back again!

Are the pdfs particularly big or complex? I've had this issue before at
work with large pdfs and the printer seemingly processing them, but then
not printing them. Reducing the size and/or resolution of the images
within the pdf sorted it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: BBC Radio Streams