From: Richard Kettlewell on
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> writes:
> On 07/06/10 20:05, Owain wrote:
>> On 7 June, 11:10, chris wrote:

>>> sudo cd /var/spool/cups
>>> Will sort you out.
>>
>> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ sudo cd /var/spool/cups
>> [sudo] password for owain:
>> sudo: cd: command not found
>> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$
>
> Ok. I get the same. I wonder why sudo doesn't like 'cd'?

cd is a shell builtin.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: Owain on
On 8 June, 09:21, chris wrote:
> > I really just want my printouts to come back again!
> Are the pdfs particularly big or complex? I've had this issue before at
> work with large pdfs and the printer seemingly processing them, but then
> not printing them. Reducing the size and/or resolution of the images
> within the pdf sorted it.

One page letters written in OOo. (Always have had to go Ooo > PDF >
Print.)

The problem seems to have appeared after I used Adobe Acrobat Viewer
to view a file - it printed once at 4-up then no PDFs will print
again.

Owain

From: chris on
On 08/06/10 11:06, Owain wrote:
> On 8 June, 09:21, chris wrote:
>>> I really just want my printouts to come back again!
>> Are the pdfs particularly big or complex? I've had this issue before at
>> work with large pdfs and the printer seemingly processing them, but then
>> not printing them. Reducing the size and/or resolution of the images
>> within the pdf sorted it.
>
> One page letters written in OOo. (Always have had to go Ooo> PDF>
> Print.)

Why not just print them directly from OOo? Why go through the pdf step?

> The problem seems to have appeared after I used Adobe Acrobat Viewer
> to view a file - it printed once at 4-up then no PDFs will print
> again.

How about removing Acrobat Viewer (Reader?)?

Can you follow the jobs via cups? Open the url
http://localhost:631/jobs?which_jobs=all and try printing again. Does
the job show up in the list and what happens to it?
From: rich on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:05:47 -0700, Owain wrote:

> On 7 June, 11:10, chris wrote:
>> sudo cd /var/spool/cups
>> Will sort you out.
>

> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ sudo cd /var/spool/cups [sudo] password for
> owain:
> sudo: cd: command not found
> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$
>
>> I'm guessing you're new to Linux. You need to learn about permissions
>> as they are much more strictly enforced than in Windows and many things
>> need to be done as 'root'. A fairly random hit with Google throws this
>> up, which is probably a good start:http://www.freeos.com/articles/3127/
>> And this gives background on sudo in
>> Ubuntu:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
>
> I really just want my printouts to come back again!
>
> owain(a)owain-desktop:~$ sudo nautilus
>
> ** (nautilus:9951): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Operation not
> supported
> Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net
> usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare
> directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
> Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.
>
> ERROR: meta.c (179): wmf_header_read: this isn't a wmf file
>
> (repeated)
>
> in var/spool/cups/ I have 34 TGA images. There is nothing in var/spool/
> cups/tmp
>
> Owain

These files probably not much use to you anyway.

I don't have Ubuntu as such and I don't have your brand of printer but

Just tried Evince in Linux Mint 9 and I did find a problem with it. A
simple pdf printed but more complicated - a landscape page from a
magazine failed. Don't know why. Maybe the same with Adobe.

Installed Okular from the repo and this works, takes its time, pain to
use but printed. Maybe worth a try.

Other things to check.

Go to the printer administration and check that under the server settings
"Publish shared printers ...." is enabled. Same for your printer, in
settings, policies enable "Shared"

Are there any error messages that might give a clue?

Can you print simple text from gedit?

Out of interest, which printer driver (its on your printer test page)
are you using?
I can't see much available for a KonicaMinolta printer setup.

--
rich
From: Owain on
On 8 June, 16:46, rich wrote:
> Just tried Evince in Linux Mint 9 and I did find a problem with it. A
> simple pdf printed but more complicated - a landscape page from a
> magazine failed. Don't know why. Maybe the same with Adobe.

Okayyy.... I can print web pages from Firefox.

I can print 4 pages of a 16 page PDF from Firefox with the Acrobat
plug in. I can print from disk using file:// in acrobat. Which is a
pain, but a work-around.

> Go to the printer administration and check that under the server settings
> "Publish shared printers ...." is enabled. Same for your printer, in
> settings, policies enable "Shared"

There's a button on the CUPS internal web page that says 'unpublish
printer' so I assume it is published?

> Are there any error messages that might give a clue?

Sadly not. The jobs list as completed in 'completed job view' but
don't pop out the printer - AFAICS from the printer lights they don't
make it to the printer BICBW

> Out of interest, which printer driver (its on your printer test page)
> are you using?
> I can't see much available for a KonicaMinolta printer setup.

Would that be foomatic?

Owain

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4